Design Annie design question

Rornce

Hi everyone!
I am designing the lights for my highschool's production of Annie this year and I have a bit of a designers block.
The set designer is going to build a large skyline of New York City that's going to be about 10' tall and 20' across, it will be about 4' in front of the Cyc and the idea is to have it start out looking like a black cut out and then have lights start to shine on it and show that it is painted to look like NYC. The director has asked if we can make it light up so that it looks like windows in the city are lit up.

I was wondering if any of you have done something similar to this that has worked or if you have any ideas that might work. I really don't have any budget to work with and can probably only get a couple hundred dollars for lights.

I really appreciate any help you can offer.
Thanks

On a school budget? Cut out windows, cover them with wax paper, and light from behind perhaps, with another barrier to prevent the cyc from shining through.

Gobo windows?

Two layers, use small string lights like Christmas tree lights between the layers and behind cut out windows so you an turn on the lights?

Thanks for the quick reply, I was thinking of something along the same line but was I was worried that it would end up looking like a Bulb and not diffuse through the wax paper. Do you think this would be a problem?

Thanks

I'm not sure how this would work with your set, not having the best of details, but I'd throw a light on the cyc lighting it, rather than near the windows - so you'd have cut out windows, and then you can get perfectly even light "in" the windows if you focus correctly!

I'm not sure how this would work with your set, not having the best of details, but I'd throw a light on the cyc lighting it, rather than near the windows - so you'd have cut out windows, and then you can get perfectly even light "in" the windows if you focus correctly!

Thanks for the good idea. This would work but we will be closing a black traveler in front of the Cyc and behind the skyline and using gobos to project stars on the traveler to imitate night.
Maybe we could use the wax paper in the windows and then just a general light behind that which might create the look of the city lights illuminating the sky and then fading into stars, do you think that would work?

Thanks for the idea.

Well I'd keep the cyc myself (if it was up to me) because you get the advantage of being able to light it to suit the mood of the show at times -- instead of closing a traveler, I would light the cyc dark blue to imitate the night, and project the stars there, then also use that for window stuff.

However, if you're stuck with closing the traveler, I think that floor mounting a few lights and focusing them through the windows would be a good alternative.

Either way can be made to work, though they both probably require a little bit of ingenuity either way.

Well I'd keep the cyc myself (if it was up to me) because you get the advantage of being able to light it to suit the mood of the show at times -- instead of closing a traveler, I would light the cyc dark blue to imitate the night, and project the stars there, then also use that for window stuff.

We were thinking of using the black traveler for the beginning of the show, and then as she is discovering the world around her, the Cyc would open up and we would start using it. As for projection, we have a nice projector mounted under the balcony, put it is not configured to where we can turn it off remotely, so we end up with a big square of dim light any time we do a black out or anything similar. we also had a bad experience with an outside party designing and running projection for us last year and they messed up more stuff than you can count and even though there was projection throughout the whole show, (Grease) most people I talked to after the show didn't even notice it. As a result, the director has said at the first production meeting, "nobody even talk about projection".
If I did decide to go with back lighting the skyline with some floor mounted units, is there anything that you would suggest?

Thanks

As for projection, we have a nice projector mounted under the balcony, put it is not configured to where we can turn it off remotely, so we end up with a big square of dim light any time we do a black out or anything similar. we also had a bad experience with an outside party designing and running projection for us last year and they messed up more stuff than you can count and even though there was projection throughout the whole show, (Grease) most people I talked to after the show didn't even notice it. As a result, the director has said at the first production meeting, "nobody even talk about projection".
If I did decide to go with back lighting the skyline with some floor mounted units, is there anything that you would suggest?
Thanks

Projectors:
The projection light can be shut out with a dowser. You can get a dmx or switch operated dowser that will shutter the projector (many projectors have shutters in them now as well).

I understand people being cautious of projectors because they are a very finicky animal as opposed to conventional fixtures and scenery.

As for the cyc:
You want a cyc fixture that has a reflector to spread the light evenly on the goods. Colortran, Strand, and Altman all make good ground cyc fixtures.

Colortran: Colortran 4 cell 1kw groundrows

Strand: Aurora

Altman: Altman Lighting: GroundCyc Cycloramas

These fixtures would need ground hardware if it doesn't come standard (sometimes I've seen the altman placed right on the floor but I don't recommend that. And most come in single cell or grouping of three or more cells. A 20' wide area I would get 5 across but you might be able to do it with 4 depending on how far you can place them away from the cyc.

Lef

Thanks for the advice, I've seen projection shutters before but I've never really tried to convince the head of the theater department to buy us one, probably should : )

Thanks for the advice, I've seen projection shutters before but I've never really tried to convince the head of the theater department to buy us one, probably should : )
Build one yourself: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...ontrol/6801-need-remote-douser.html#post80029 . Especially if you don't want/need DMX control.

... If I did decide to go with back lighting the skyline with some floor mounted units, is there anything that you would suggest?
Just about anything that puts out light will work. A wider beam is preferred over a narrower one (less units/throw distance needed). Also you'll probably find it desirable to have some method of spill control/beam shaping, so Fresnel s with barn door s or scoop s/floodlight s with Blackwrap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back