building your own clearcom/telex head set

So has anyone sucessfully made this thing work?

I'm gonna make a box that has a place for the the battery too.

I think that's the box that contains the battery and resister thing. Is the switch to turn the power on and off?

Please write a tutorial of how you did it, and the parts that you used. I would love to build a clone of what you did.

Did you build the headset as part of the unit or is it seperate?

Well unfortinately the circuit I posted didnt work :( Well, it did sortta, just not enough gain.

I'm gonna try another simple circuit that uses an LM386 audio op amp IC, so we'll see if that does the trick.

Its hard for me to test this stuff cause I have to break into my schools auditorium to test it on our clearcom setup, I wish I had a setup at home :(.

I'll try to post updates asap

thanks aaron. I am really looking forward to not being forced to use my schools uncomfortable headsets and be able to afford my own setup.

Would you be willing to post pictures of the inside of your box as well as a circuit diagram (once you get it fixed?

Another thought. How dificult would it be to incorperate a small LED to tell if power is on or off from a distance?

It would be very easy to add an led. I promise all of you I will do my best to get this to work and that when I do get it to work I'll post a guide on how to do it. I really want this headset to work.

Just so you all know, the circuits involved with this are VERY simple and easy to make. You can get all the parts at radioshack.

if the switch is for power then it should be very easy to incorporate a led. I would not reccomend adding one as that is just another item to drain the battery....but leds do not draw that much so it shouldnt be a big deal.

Yeah. LEDs barely use any battery, but it's still some. The best way to go is to get rechargable batteries, though. They save you so much $$$ nowadays.

Okay the circuit I posted actually DOES work. I put a dead 9v battery into the circuit instead of a good one. :oops: Hey everyone makes mistakes!

I'll post a guide tomorrow with pictures. Here is a quick parts list:

220 Ohm 1/4 watt resistor

10uF capacitor

9v Battery

Enclosure

4pin XLR connector (female)

ON-OFF switch for battery (SPST)

Again, all of this can be purchased from radioshack, tomorrow I will provide radioshack part #'s and pictures guiding my assembly of this circuit.

I do hope some others can build and test this circuit cause I'm not sure how loud its output will be compared to standard clearcom headsets

I'm looking forward to the tutorial. How much was the whole thing do you figure?

I plan on building a modified one, but it will follow the exact same ciruit diagram. instead of hardwiring the headset in I will be using 1/8 jacks and i am thinking about including a mute switch only because of how our theatre is set up....(there are about 4 feet between the headset wall plate (no belt pack in this spot) and where you need to be to use the headset)

thanks aaron, can you approximate how loud it is? as in soft or loud

I am going to use 1/8" jacks too, as well as add a LED to the mix. I would be interested in how you put the mute switch in.

Here is my parts list at the moment ( I havn't put it together yet because im waiting for the tutorial, nor have I purchased anything):

DPDT Rocker SwitchRed $3.99
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062525

Project Enclosure4x2x1" $2.69
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062280

1/8" Stereo Panel-Mount Phone Jack $2.99 (two of them)
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103451

Heavy-Duty 9V Snap Connectors $2.59
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062218

9-Volt Battery Holder $0.99
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062220

225-Ft. UL Recognized Hookup Wire 22AWG $5.49
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049745

Red LED with Holder $1.99
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062561

220 ohm 1/4W 5% Carbon Film Resistor pk/5 $0.99
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062340

Thanks guys, I'm not sure how loud its output is cause I havent tested it on a clearcom system, I've only tested it by pluging it into a single pack connected to a 24v power supply

It would be great if someone here who has more access to a clearcom setup could test it.

Avoid Radio Shack if you can. Buy from Jameco. I make circuits for a hobby, and I get my parts from Jameco. You can get everything but the project box for less, and you can even get the XLR connector there, so you don't have to cut any headsets. Works really well.

http://www.jameco.com

P.S. Don't have clearcom or I would have tried this as soon as the topic popped up...I like projects like this...but it's a really good idea. I wish that I could build and test one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back