Control/Dimming Can i use a DMX dimmer AND a wall switch?

Guy

I am a home remodeling contractor and have volunteered to help add diming to par 38 cans used in the front of my Church (18 lights). I would sure appreciate your help. I am well versed in residential electric but new to DMX. We need to be able to control the lights at the older peoples service with the current wall switches which turn on the 3 circuits for lighting the front stage area of the church. But at the contemporary service with a band we want to be able to dim the lighting with a dmx controller and basic 4 channel dimers plugged into the switched outlets and then the light cans plugged into the dimers. My Question is can we work the lights by switching power on and off to the dimers with the wall switches and not doing anything with the dmx controller? Do the dimers come back on to there last setting when power is cut then turned back on. Do the dimers have memory? or must the dmx controller send a signal to turn them on each time. Thank you in advance for any help. Guy I

What dimmers are you using? What controller?

So, you want the power to the dimmers to be controlled via the wall switches. Depending on the dimmers you have, you might be able to set a "panic" mode that turns on all the dimmers if they are not receiving DMX. I don't know of any cheap packs that do this, its not really that desirable of a feature. You could just leave the console on 24/7 and leave all channels at full on that. Also, not a desirable solution. This also assumes that you follow whatever building codes/emergency lighting systems, etc that your area has.

Idealy the dimmers would control the lights all the time and would stay on all the time. You would then buy a product like this: http://www.dfd.com/p10a.html. Run the DMX out of the console, into this unit, and then to the dimmers. That would allow you to use this device when the console is off. When the console is on the console gets full control.

...My Question is can we work the lights by switching power on and off to the dimers with the wall switches and not doing anything with the dmx controller? Do the dimers come back on to there last setting when power is cut then turned back on. Do the dimers have memory? or must the dmx controller send a signal to turn them on each time. Thank you in advance for any help.
I'm guessing you have dimmer, shoebox s. Your scenario will work, provided the console is ALWAYS turned on and sending DMX signal to the dimmers. When power to the dimmer is removed, the lights go out. When power is restored, the lights (after a very brief time while the dimmer "reboots") will do whatever the console is telling them to do, at that moment. If the console is off or in blackout mode, no lights will light.

The weak link is making sure the console is always on, even when the switches have the lights off. Not the most fool-proof system, but there are worse designs. The Preset10 that Footer mentioned is a much more elegant, albeit costly, solution.

Thank you all for your response.
I get the concept that the controller or something must be sending a dmx signal or dimmer packs will not work when with a switched wall outlet. Need a single from controller or architectural preset unit to make them work.
I think I realize that I am looking at low end "DJ" stuff. $1000 budget: 6 four channel dimers ($100) each, 1 controller $250, dmx cable $150. We already have 18 par 38 cans on a light bar.
Should I wait to have a bigger budget or can I expect reasonable service and longevity from this price level. If this is possible can you steer me to brand model to buy.

Thank you all for your help.
Guy

I am assuming that the 18 pars are wired direct to the wall switch. so the ultimate plan is to move them to a dimmer and eliminate the 120v wall switch. Then add a console and wall dmx system. The DMX system can have wall buttons that can be set to control any group you like from 1 button to 10 buttons. For example, from the breakers wire to a set of 20A dimmers, then up to the 18+ pars. Keep in mind that the total load on the dimmers should be about 1800-2000 watts. So you can group lights (dimmer circuits). Some group stage left and stage right - 1 2 3 4 5 6 . . . . 1 2 3 4 5 6. Your dimmers should only be powered via the breakers and the light fixtures control by way of the console and wall buttons DMX. systems like Footer suggest or ETC. You do not want to always have to have the console on full in order for the house wall switches to work.

Let me pass on a thought that was given to me when working on a church lighting system.

Why should God settle for second best? That question asked in innocence sincerity has shaped how I approach everything. Not saying going over the top, but if money was not the driving force, what would be the best setup for each situation now and into the future.

Keep in in mind that your local theater supply company will be happy to come out and help plan a system for you, usually at no charge.

Perhaps some members can suggest some in your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back