Catastrophic lamp failures

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by icewolf08, Apr 2, 2009.

1. JVV

JVV Member

We just got some brand new Birdies and MR16 lamps to go with them. Yesterday I put an edison plug on one and when I plugged it into a regular wall socket the lamp exploded like a gunshot. I thought, bad lamp, so I tried again. Same result. Then I thought I wired the plug wrong, so I tried a new plug. Same result. I thought it might be that unit, so I wired a different one. Same result. So I thought it was my wiring, so I had our LD wire it and same result. Then I thought it was the outlet, so I went to another room and tried it again. Same result. We even brought another lamp from another space to test. Lamp flared, then went out. Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    RonHebbard likes this.
  2. techieman33

techieman33 Well-Known Member

Check the voltage on the lamps. Some MR16 lamps are available in different voltages. You may have 12v lamps.

Jay Ashworth and RonHebbard like this.
  3. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

Jay Ashworth likes this.
  4. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

You can get 120V MR16's, but I don't think you'll find them in the industrial market much; they're mostly consumer lamps.

You just blew a crap load of 12V lamps.

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. Ravenbar

Ravenbar Active Member

I'm rarely around anymore so this is the first time I recall seeing this post. Reminds me of an experience back in college where the lamp in a 360Q went out as I was about 2 feet away balanced on a railing adjusting said light. I thought I'd saved the lamp as it had a volcano shape sticking out the side, but no idea where it ended up. May have been an FEL as those were commonly used in the 360Q's there.

6. ship

ship Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

Did you dissemble the fixture and examine the components to it? Perhaps plug, cord or fixture there was a short between hot/neutral/ground?

7. John Anderson

John Anderson New Member

Although I am now retired, my former company (teamlighting.com) represents Philips/Strand and Leviton (who purchased Colortran a number of years ago). My knowledge of exploding lamps dates back almost fifty years . The lamp manufacturers issue a caution not to touch the lamp with bare hands (bodily oils will cause decomposition of the quartz surface, thereby weakening its structure). Use gloves provided by the lamp manufacturer and if not, provide your own soft work gloves. A failed quartz halogen lamp (often reaching end of life) can perform what the lamp manufacturers term as a “non-passive failure”, meaning it explodes. I have seen Lekos and fresnels destroyed by exploding lamps, so be careful how you handle them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice