Clear Com Question

Esoteric

Pin 1 - Microphone common
Pin 2 - Microphone �hot�
Pin 3 - Headphone common
Pin 4 - Headphone �hot�

is the same assignment for both systems, so yes just using a turn around will work (you are likely to need to make up a cable to do this since a barrel connector is unlikely to come in 4 pin mode

Sharyn

the balanced unbalanced is on the LINE connection NOT the headphone connection.

IF you want to run mixed supplier belt packs then you do need to look at the balanced/unbalanced. If you are only looking at running the head phones and simply have the need to convert gender then a simple cable will fix that

Sharyn

I think he's just asking about headsets, not beltpacks, but since you mention it: Don't different companies' power supplies provide different voltages? So if you were to mix and match you could do serious damage to the beltpacks. I would love to see a definite compatibility list as I have never been able to get a clear answer on this. I have ClearCom (and I know Production Intercom is compatible) but it would be nice to know for sure what I can and cannot plug in to the system.

Pin 1 - Microphone common
Pin 2 - Microphone �hot�
Pin 3 - Headphone common
Pin 4 - Headphone �hot�

is the same assignment for both systems, so yes just using a turn around will work (you are likely to need to make up a cable to do this since a barrel connector is unlikely to come in 4 pin mode

Sharyn

4 pin barrels--oh but they do exist...back when AMX protocol was out and about before DMX--they were common and I had a few in my kit from long ago. They still exist--I just purchased a dozen ones in both M & F from the friendly folks at Audiopile Pro Audio  Welcome to Audiopile

Liz there took great care of me and was able to find and order them for me--and at not 'insane' prices too. I think she decided to put a few in her stock tho not on the website yet.

I got them for telex headsets we occasionally get from users who come by my theater too...but also for 4pin scroller cables that may be needed as well.

Just thought you would like to know..always a plus to have a few of these oddities around.

-w

4 pin barrels--oh but they do exist...back when AMX protocol was out and about before DMX--they were common and I had a few in my kit from long ago. They still exist--I just purchased a dozen ones in both M & F from the friendly folks at Audiopile Pro Audio* Welcome to Audiopile

Liz there took great care of me and was able to find and order them for me--and at not 'insane' prices too. I think she decided to put a few in her stock tho not on the website yet.

I got them for telex headsets we occasionally get from users who come by my theater too...but also for 4pin scroller cables that may be needed as well.

Just thought you would like to know..always a plus to have a few of these oddities around.

-w

I think SHARYNF might have been referring to 4-pin turnarounds. 4-pin XLR's are readily available, but a 4-pin barrel turnaround is probably pretty rare.

... I got them for telex headsets we occasionally get from users who come by my theater too...but also for 4pin scroller cables that may be needed as well. ...
I can't think of a good reason to gender-change a scroller cable, but even if I had the need, I'd worry that a barrel adapter did not use 14ga. wire for the power conductors, and would prefer to make such a device with the appropriate cable and inline connectors.

Others have expressed concern that the weight and size of the barrel can put undue strain on panel mount connectors.

Not saying I dislike them, I have a few of the MM3, FF3, 5-3, and 3-5 in my kit, but there are limitations.

I can't think of a good reason to gender-change a scroller cable, but even if I had the need, I'd worry that a barrel adapter did not use 14ga. wire for the power conductors, and would prefer to make such a device with the appropriate cable and inline connectors.
Others have expressed concern that the weight and size of the barrel can put undue strain on panel mount connectors.

Not saying I dislike them, I have a few of the MM3, FF3, 5-3, and 3-5 in my kit, but there are limitations.

I have all sorts of adaptors and turnarounds and the like in my kit too...some I have made with cables and others are barrels or other oddities. Just a habit--some things I have never thought I would need--I have suddenly found someone asking me if I perhaps had one.

That is an excellent point regarding the weight to the panel mounts, as well as the power needs & the wire gauge re: scrollers...and of course care should be taken to prevent damage etc. Its not intended as a perm idea. As I said I primarily got them for Telex headsets that come by--in particular I have one guy who is deaf who wears airport headsets for com.... Just a point that if you say you do not need it--when you are 5 minutes from curtain or have to 'punt' til a better solution can be worked out--suddenly you will need one..that has been my experience to always be prepared. :)

-w

Users who are viewing this thread

Back