Corn chips in the booth.

not to mention a bad taste and the loss of brain cells/ingesting carcinogens...

sawdust... smells like hot chocolate. At least to me it does.

We always have food in our booth, I guess we're not supposed to but we just stash it in our little black metal box. And on the door leading to the sound booth, oh well it's covered in coke and monster cans.

There isn't supposed to be any food or drink on the stage or in the house either but techs sometimes ditch that rule... especially during light calls or right before a show. Actors get mad when we tell them not to eat or drink in costume and there was one point where a couple of them compared it to when techs eat on the stage... I dunno... that just doesn't seem the same...

I think it's because both the stage and the costume is the tech's domain. It would be disrespectful for an actor to eat pizza while in costume, and subsequently damage it. Similarly, it would be disrespectful for a tech to use an actor's script as a plate or napkin.

However, if a tech wants to eat on the stage, something they clean and are responsible for, then so be it. Similarly, an actor can do whatever they want with their script, and I don't care. What's contained inside of it is their responsibility, perhaps they don't mind pizza grease.

Yeah the actors always get annoyed because we will tell them to not eat in costume, but then we will also fine them if we see them eating with a microphone on their face, whether they are in costume or not.
Since we are a high school, we don't have much money to buy much at all.

Plus, tech (at my school), are the go to people for av in my school. Such as assemblies in the gym, or anything in the theater or even some random stuff in the cafeteria sometimes. Since we do all this we are the ones who end up cleaning/maintaining the majority of the theater.
Don't get me wrong though, the custodial crew at my school does still have to do a lot and it should never be neglected! It would be a hard job to do what they do.

I share the views that have been expressed here, but many don't. I had to go give the choir teacher a list of reminders to give at intermission (same show the picture is from), one of which was 'no food in the house'. Well, I had a tootsie pop (yes, we like tootsie roll products at our theatre), and when I got to food she flipped out and started yelling at me. Normally I would have been diplomatic to maintain interdepartmental relations, but everyone dislikes her enough already to the extent that it doesn't really matter. I just put it back in my mouth, thanked her for the reminders, and went back to the booth.

Lesson learned: Do not eat food in the house if you have a really pissy choir director.

Once some audience member brought in a can of pop and spilled it and just left without telling us. We found it later and it was just a sticky mess. (Hate when this happens!) Good thing we have our own mop!

Of course then after a matinee performance of a dance group that came in, someone had thrown their chewed gum on the carpet in the house and when the audience left they unknowingly smashed the gum into the carpet.

I hate gum! We got a lot of this year, more than usual. But, it's okay, we didn't have to get it. We're being recarpetted this summer, which is amazingly awesome. There was some talk about reflooring the booth too, which would be awesome as well. But yeah, the best thing is, we didn't have to take out any gum this last semester!

proxy.php

Oh, and don't ask me why the walls were painted white.

Um, that was the first thing that came to mind looking at this picture.

In my booth everything is black, except for the walls which were blue, and the monitor for the light board which was tan. Then the glowing light board monitor pissed me off every time I looked up at the booth and saw nothing but the monitor there. Eventually I replaced it with a black one.
Now during shows you can only see a person up in the booth.

For your viewing pleasure, more from our booth (sort of):

proxy.php

This is the storage room located at the back of our booth (to the left in the other picture). More white walls. There's a surprise. And a white ladder that goes to a utility closet.

At least you guys get to use your booths. Our booth is an ESL teacher's office, with an 8 channel soundboard that is never turned off. All of the school's microphones are dead, as we only have wired handhelds and there are not trained sound techs because their is (virtually) no sound system. Our sound booth is also up 4 flights of stairs and down a 100 yard hallway from the auditorium lobby entrance. convenient; I know.

Oh yeah, the sound rack is backstage, has no cd player, and has 4 amps; two of which say "do not turn on" because they were blown during the first show that was in the space.

Everytime I go to the rack to turn the amps off because you can hear them buzzing from the stage even when not in use, the two that say "do not turn on" or switched to the "on" position

So does your booth even overlook your theater? because it doesn't sound like it .
How can you use your sound board for live use if you can't hear what you are mixing? It seems to be a bit far away to be used. That is really weird also how you only have wired handheld mics, which lead me to assume that you do not mic any actors in any of the shows you guys do.

It just seems like the theater (sound at least) was really poorly planned.

We never mic our actors. Partly because we only have two corded mics and a wireless that decides when it will function, and partly because all our body mics were stolen shortly after we got them (we never got to use them :().

Users who are viewing this thread

Back