Custom IEMs

Pie4Weebl

Fight Leukemia
Hey boothers-
So I'm working a lot more louder concerts now, and after talking with one of the monitor guys I am thinking of getting a pair of custom ears. They would be used mainly for two purposes: 1. hearing protection at FOH 2. Music on Subway. Every once in a great while if I can scrounge up a IEM wireless pack I'd use them as monitors FOH (sans delay) to hit the bumps just a tincy bit tighter.

So thoughts on what I should buy? I was suggested to ultimate ears which starts at $400, but one of my friends pointed me to this company which seems to have much lower prices and is run by an acquaintance of mine:
Fidelity Custom Earphones

So what do you all think?

I looked at both websites for a bit, the one thing I can't find is any information countering hearing loss from speakers being so close to your eardrum - the main reason audiophiles that I know forgo in-ear headphones. They seem to have a lot of prestige, I'd be interested in hearing more myself.

~Aaron

Ultimate Ears makes good stuff. Be sure to also look into Sensaphonics and Westones. For what you are using them for, any of these companies should work out great.

~Dave

They would be used mainly for two purposes: 1. hearing protection at FOH 2. Music on Subway. Every once in a great while if I can scrounge up a IEM wireless pack I'd use them as monitors FOH (sans delay) to hit the bumps just a tincy bit tighter.
In-ear monitors will provide noise reduction, many up to 25dB or more of overall reduction, so they can certainly help with reducing the exposure from external noise or sound sources. However, if you are going to mix with them in and want some reduction in level without an associated significant variation in the reduction at different frequencies then you might want to consider custom earplugs that provide a similar reduction at all frequencies rather than in-ear monitors, whose noise reduction can vary greatly with frequency.

However, if you are going to mix with them in and want some reduction in level without an associated significant variation in the reduction at different frequencies then you might want to consider custom earplugs that provide a similar reduction at all frequencies rather than in-ear monitors, whose noise reduction can vary greatly with frequency.

Only mixing lights ;)

Well don't worry guys, I ended up deciding to get a lighting console wing instead! Guess the little orange bits of foam will have to be what protects my hearing!

Well don't worry guys, I ended up deciding to get a lighting console wing instead! Guess the little orange bits of foam will have to be what protects my hearing!
You can get some Etyomtic Research ER20 ETY plugs for $10-$20. Not as much isolation as a good foam plug or as nice as custom fit plugs but much flatter frequency attenuation than foam plugs. I use a pair when working with the blower, chain saw, etc. around the yard as they reduce the levels about 20dB while still letting me hear things I perhaps should hear.

$9 from b/h! I'll pick a pair up when I go down to get my pelican case from them on wednesday!

I know you've already spent the money, but when you have a little burning a hole in your pocket...

I would recommend using earplugs for earplugs and IEM's for listening/mixing music. I did the IEM's for earplugs for a while but I finally got fed up with it and filled in the holes (they were an add on thing, stick the stem of the earbud in the hole) with silicone gel. They worked amazing until I lost one. I've been using the orange squishies lately but I plan on getting some custom Etymotics made very soon. I'll get two pairs of impressions made at the same time so that I can get custom IEM's made soon after.

As far as IEM brands, it's tough to make a decision since you can't try them before making an expensive commitment. When I was living in Nashville I had planned on stopping by the Fidelity office but never did. I still may end up with those. I have read great things about them and the price is great. I work with a band that uses Ultimate Ears. They love them and customer support has been great. We had a pair go down on tour and had replacement cables the next day at the venue.

There's also Future Sonics, Sensaphonics, Westone, JH (although they seem to be the most expensive).

JH Audio are the folks who ran Ultimate before it was sold to Logitech. In my experience with emailing Ultimate before and after the sale, I have a lot more faith in JH than Ultimate.

JH Audio are the folks who ran Ultimate before it was sold to Logitech. In my experience with emailing Ultimate before and after the sale, I have a lot more faith in JH than Ultimate.

Interesting.... Thanks for the update. It's been at least a couple of years since I had any dealings with Ultimate Ears, so the excellent helpful people (or at least their policies) may have moved on to JH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back