Dark Routines for Movers

I take great care of everything in any inventory I am working with, rental or not.
See now I'm confused Footer....previously you said ((It also depends on who owns the gear, if it is your own company's, which is rare for larger shows, sure do everything you can to save them because you will be the one fixing it. If you have a few cases of spares and your time to clean up the show and the time you sit in a venue doing it is worth more then fixing the spares, let'em run. ))
Which makes it sound like if its not your gear you don't care....Help me understand!

See now I'm confused Footer....previously you said ((It also depends on who owns the gear, if it is your own company's, which is rare for larger shows, sure do everything you can to save them because you will be the one fixing it. If you have a few cases of spares and your time to clean up the show and the time you sit in a venue doing it is worth more then fixing the spares, let'em run. ))
Which makes it sound like if its not your gear you don't care....Help me understand!

If I am working in a smaller theatre that has a fixed inventory, and if that gear goes down we have no spares, I do everything I can to keep wear to a minimum, if time allows of course. On the other hand, if I am doing a show with a large inventory and plenty of spares, and little to no programming time/cleaning up time, its a fight just to get things done, let alone clean up programming. That is what it comes down to for most of these larger shows that will run a routine and leave it running and just douse in/out. They don't have the time to clean up programming, they barely have time to get the show up. They also don't have to be too worried about losing a piece of gear do to use, because there are spares and spare parts to get the fixture back up.

Makes more sense now sir thank you.

Good point! Although the fixtures are well ventilated, leaving a fixture on and doused for a long time always did remind me of a corked bottle. Makes sense if the audience is not in house to leave them wide open, as long as they are not pointing at something to close to them. (The "Showgun" warning label comes to mind.)

I considered this before, but after some thought I changed my mind. The shutter is the second thing after the heat shield the light and heat hits in the beam path.The reflector, heat shield, shutter, and housing would run a bit cooler with the shutter open. The flip side of that though, is that all the components forward: gobo wheels, color wheels, the color flags, etc are going to be substantaly cooler with the shutter closed then they would be with the shutter open even in O/W.

So you are trading a small increase in heat on very durable components with a fairly large increase in heat on more fragile ones.

Generally for white, the color wheel simply has a hole in it. The same is true on the gobo wheel. On mixers, the white setting is usually the clear glass portion of the flags. Wide open should be ok, but I would agree that with any of these engaged, the heat would then be detrimental to the affected element.

I considered this before, but after some thought I changed my mind. The shutter is the second thing after the heat shield the light and heat hits in the beam path.The reflector, heat shield, shutter, and housing would run a bit cooler with the shutter open. The flip side of that though, is that all the components forward: gobo wheels, color wheels, the color flags, etc are going to be substantaly cooler with the shutter closed then they would be with the shutter open even in O/W.
So you are trading a small increase in heat on very durable components with a fairly large increase in heat on more fragile ones.

But if the douser goes every componet after it is worthless.
JD makes a good point about the components. If you're walking away from the OW is the way to go if you're not shutting down the movers completly

Ah yes, the all important douser ;) One might not notice if one of 50 lights does not come on, but you sure notice when one stays on when you blackout!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back