Do me a favor, and critique my portfolio? [Lighting]

teejmya

I'm fresh out of high school, trying to land gigs. I don't have a traditional resume yet, that's in the works. Meanwhile, I give everyone the address of my small portfolio.

Please look at mine, tell me all that's right with it, all that's wrong with it, and what you would do in my shoes. You won't hurt my feelings. If you think it will, then I probably need to hear it.

Specifically if you have a better photo gallery hosting suite (or portfolio host altogether,) let me know.

You can find it at tylermolamphy.com.

Last edited:
A more descriptive <title> tag wouldn't go wrong.
I've got mixed feelings about imgur as an image gallery. Not quite professional enough for me, but it will probably do for you.
Some descriptions to go with each show, and the occasional caption on the individual images would be good. Right now I can't even tell which show the images are from.
The list thing you've got going on the left could use some additional formatting to delineate the different groups, and the header on it might do with some bolding (and it should be a colon at the end, not a period, it's not a complete sentence anyways).
Is there any particular reason why all the external links are going through bit.ly? Are you using that to track clicks?
Those "pictures of..." links should be in a real <ul>, instead of faking it with &bull; characters?
What's the search box for? Is there more content to see?
I googled your name, and the second result is your tumblr site that hasn't seen a new humorous Photoshop in over a year (might want to do something about that, at least update it).

I think your page comes across as kind of arrogant....

""Footloose, a 1998 musical based on the 1984 film of the same name. " [more info]" Does anyone NOT know what footloose is? We don't need a more info link to wikipedia....

"Every show will be my best yet" I think this line shows that you aren't very experienced. Yeah its easy to have every show be your best, when you've designed like three shows....

/dittoing cpf's comments about the actual site, it looks very HTML 1.0. You might want to look into a free page builder website.

Oh, forgot. My recommendation for a better coding-free system would be SquareSpace. It's $13/month, but it's also slick, professional, powerful, upgradeable, and has all the features you'd ever need. If that's too pricey, Weebly websites can look quite nice and have most of the same features for $free.

Unfortunately, you seem to have backed yourself into a very very deep corner. Most of your photos were taken with flash. If you are looking to present yourself as a lighting designer, then just throw them out. Also, the basic white site you also have does not look like a design choice. Set and costume designer David Zinn's site, for example, is white but is based on a design choice. If one is presenting their person as a designer, then everything they present as proof of their work should be done so in a designed manner (even if you hire someone to design the website for you).

And yes, you don't need the silly quip or the wiki links.

pages on the site are your friend. Linking out to things becomes difficult. I clicked onto the eurydice gallery and had no way to get back to your page and had to back button to find it again. My Weebly site (in my sig) is something that was completely free and that I threw together in an afternoon, is it perfect? by no means, but it helped me land the job I currently have. Right now with how little lighting you've done if you've got other tech stuff include it, have a separate page for your resume. I also agree on the wiki links, if I don't know eurydice or aida or some such play, you give the title and author and if I see your pictures and want to know more about the show I can google quick and find out.

Thank you very much for the criticism, clearly I needed it.
Here's take two, with a little more common sense to go with it.

- Tyler "TJ" Molamphy, Lighting Designer

It will go live on my domain later tonight.

Unfortunately, as far as the photos go, it's all I have. My copies went down with a bad camera, and these are the only other pictures that exist of the show. So these are here to stay, and I can't do much about it. Would it be worth it to remove? How does one go about getting lighting positions with no previous work proof?

Also, I will be adding a larger "Bio" type text to the front. Maybe a professional resume? Thoughts?

Please, please. please keep the comments coming. I have to be as good as I can be.

Just quickly looking through, I found two huge errors (easily fixable).

I recently graduated Overland High School Class of 2011, and am now looking for chances to participate in shows, to exercise my ability, and to amaze audiences yet again.
is grammatically incorrect. It should read
I am a recent graduate of Overland High School Class of 2011. I am currently seeking chances to participate in productions which exercise my abilities and to amaze audiences yet again.

I suggest revising the entire second sentence.

#2 Go through and rotate all of your pictures. IMHO I will skip right past a page where I have to tilt my laptop/head to see a picture.'

#3 The link from your header is incorrect. It links to your old url.

a bio is good, it never hurts to know a bit about you, what you do outside of theatre, what you're looking to do, things like that. It gives me more to relate to. That said don't go into stupid detail about how you like to go birding at some tiny local park every third sunday when the moon is in a certain position, just use common sense. Bad pictures are better than no pictures, you've at least got something to show rather than just trying to tell people you've done it but have no real evidence to back that up. The new design is very nice in my opinion at least; front page is a little sparse but you already said you were going to be adding more to it, so it is a nice clean opening.

I like the pages for the shows, that's a good start. As you do more I would transition those pages to encompass more? if that makes sense? IE don't just keep adding page after page after page of shows, you can eventually boil it down to showing a sample and your best stuff. For now though the individual pages works fine. I would throw in a resume page and include stuff that is even kind of related. Granted I'm a person who does a little bit of everything, but since you don't have a lot for just lighting showing that you've got some experience doing some other related jobs shows you have an understanding of how things work.

as far as getting work without experience... my first lighting gig came from a guy who knew a high school director and they needed someone to do lights for Children of Eden so my friend asked if I wanted to do it. Some easy ways are to work up, start out as a cabling monkey for someone, or get a gig as and master electrician to get established somewhere and just keep an ear out for design gigs and network. I don't know if you're actually in Denver or in the area around, but last time I was over there I saw an ad saying the Lake Dillon Theatre company was looking for designers. So if that is a relatively do able drive for you who knows. Look around for smaller regional or community theatres. I mean no offense to anybody by this but sometimes their standards are a little lower (meaning they don't just hire well established people) just because they have less to work with, money/materials/what have you, so that's a good place to get your feet wet and get some experience.

All in all, version two is certainly a step up from where you were. Still some room for improvement but part of that will just come with doing more work.

edit: seeing the high school name, I see lake dillon is a bit of a drive for you, but you get the point, that was just one theatre that stuck out in my mind.

One thing that hasn't come up yet is, your gonna have a hard time getting any Lighting Design work straight out of high school, and the work you do get probably wont care if you have a resume or not. That said never ever use flash in the photo's of your designs. It actually makes you seem amateur and not professional. Flash just completely throws off any color of set, costumes and the subtleties that make a Lighting Design great.

I'm not sure if at this point with only two shows under your belt that you should be marketing yourself as a Lighting Designer... while not Lighting myself, I have about 12 shows under my belt as the FOH mixer and Sound designer but still market myself as someone who can plug cables and be a board monkey... It just doesn't come that easy in any kind of metro area to be able to get the design work... (at least in the area I am located).

I guess my post is trying to say to market yourself as a Stagehand that specializes in Lighting Design and not strictly as a Lighting Designer for now.

One thing that hasn't come up yet is, your gonna have a hard time getting any Lighting Design work straight out of high school, and the work you do get probably wont care if you have a resume or not. That said never ever use flash in the photo's of your designs. It actually makes you seem amateur and not professional. Flash just completely throws off any color of set, costumes and the subtleties that make a Lighting Design great.

I'm not sure if at this point with only two shows under your belt that you should be marketing yourself as a Lighting Designer... while not Lighting myself, I have about 12 shows under my belt as the FOH mixer and Sound designer but still market myself as someone who can plug cables and be a board monkey... It just doesn't come that easy in any kind of metro area to be able to get the design work... (at least in the area I am located).

I guess my post is trying to say to market yourself as a Stagehand that specializes in Lighting Design and not strictly as a Lighting Designer for now.

I agree on this one. The website Im currently building and my resume both specify "Stage Hand, Electrician and Lighting Designer", and I have designed 8 shows for lights, 1 for projection. The lighting designer part is going to be pretty tough to swallow for your average theater company out there, especially with no college training. Have you considered going to college for lighting design? You will get a lot of experience there...

I'd suggest removing your phone number from the sight. Generally you'll get a cold email in this day and age befor a cold call.

Last edited:
I'd suggest removing your phone number from the sight. Generally you'll get a cold email in thus day and age befor a cold call.

I actually got a cold call once to LD a festival! So there are a few people who still use phones!

I actually got a cold call once to LD a festival! So there are a few people who still use phones!

If you need someone day of or a day out, calling is the only way to go. When I'm filling a call on short notice, if you don't pick up on the first call, I move on and call someone else. Email is too slow for that. So, answer your phones people!

And back to the OP...
What do you actually want to do with your career? Lets face it. The shows you have done are very small scale high school productions. From the looks of it your changed cyc colors, had a few specials, and a few systems of front and/or top light. This does not make you a lighting designer where you will get paid to do it. It might get you into the community theatre circuit in your area where you can play a bit more. Depending on what the community theatre scene is in your area, it might just get you into a board op position. Right now there is nothing on your site that would want me or really anyone to actually hire you. At your point, a portfolio is useless. However, a good resume' is not.

If someone wants to hire you right now, they are going to want to hire your for your body first and mind second. Market yourself that way. Get a good resume', list your shows, list what you did, and list your special skills. Your website tells me you can run subs and light a stage. What are you doing now? Are you going to college or tech school?

Again, thanks for the great criticism. And everyone is totally right, I don't fit into the design world just yet. I thought it was a catch all term, and was wrong, thanks.

Now I'm having trouble figuring out what title exactly to market myself with. At the current moment, I can write up basic blueprints, hang lights, make general washes and specials, do most mid-level electrician duties, program most ETC consoles, and run them for a show.

What's the word for that?

And also, how about a simple one page site? You type tylermolamphy.com, and you get my (small) resume? That's it?

Again, thanks for the help.

Now I'm having trouble figuring out what title exactly to market myself with. At the current moment, I can write up basic blueprints, hang lights, make general washes and specials, do most mid-level electrician duties, program most ETC consoles, and run them for a show.

What's the word for that?

And also, how about a simple one page site? You type tylermolamphy.com, and you get my (small) resume? That's it?

Right now, market yourself as someone that wants work. Once again though, I ask, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO? Are you going to go to school or do you just want to start working? Do you want to do this on the side or as a career? You don't have enough experience to be any more then a box pusher in any professional environment. There is nothing wrong with that though. Being 18 or 19 and not having a ton of experience is the way it is supposed to be. So, give us some examples of what you want to do and what you are doing now to get there and we can help. You have more to learn then you know. However, if you are open to learning there are plenty of people in the industry that will teach on the job. A good work ethic and common sense go a long way.

As far as what to do with the site, leave the photos up. However, put your resume' central.

from what you've got experience doing if you really want to label yourself just go with technician or something simple like that. I'm currently a tech director and teacher, my resume says tech director and technician or something along those lines. But I have been scenic/lighting/sound designer, master electrician, painter, carp, what have you, I leave my resume to speak to those aspects because most of what I've done are multiple duty type gigs so they see I can also do these things but I am the first to admit I have tons to learn about a lot of subjects still.

Sorry for the lack of information, that last post was done in a hurry.

Right now I have part time work. The plan was to get out of high school, find a means of income, and then once stable, find "internships" or other learning type jobs backstage of the theatre.

My high school was known for some pretty good shows, though yes, they're high school shows, and no more. It was definitely an everyone do everything type thing, so that previous list of my expertise is much shorter than true.

I have experience in running sound specifically finding, cueing, and running sound effects, as well as live-mixing voices, and some instruments.

I have a decent skill set in woodwork and set construction, though not much.

I also have a very small amount ofSorry for the lack of information, that last post was done in a hurry.

Right now I have part time work. The plan was to get out of high school, find a means of income, and then once stable, find "internships" or other learning type jobs backstage of the theatre.

My high school was known for some pretty good shows, though yes, they're high school shows, and no more. It was definitely an everyone do everything type thing, so that previous list of my expertise is much shorter than true.

I have experience in running sound specifically finding, cueing, and running sound effects, as well as live-mixing voices, and some instruments.

I have a decent skill set in woodwork and set construction, though not much.

I also have a very small amount of experience as a stage manager, but
in highschool, that doesn't include much.

I will be going to school for technical theatre next year, but that
wasn't an option this year. For right now, I have to make enough money
to live, but I would also like to get some sort of on the job
experience.

Eventually I want to turn this into a career, once I have enough skills
and a good sense of networking, but I know that's not possible in the
beggining.

And I'm also not very sure how to go about creating a resume. Does
anyone have any good examples of one? Josh has a wonderful example, but
at that rate, I won't have much of anything to show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back