Mixers/Consoles Does anyone have any experience with the Allen & Heath GLD-80 console?

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
I've been looking into the next console for our church and we are big fans of the Allen & Heath series, we have a A&H PA28 now, using between 8-10 musical inputs, 4-6 vocals per sunday, 1 lav and 1 podium mic, as well as a CD input and an output to a laptop for recording. We use 1 aux for sending to the recording, 2 channels for monitoring (frontline and backline), and mono mains.

It's a simple setup, but we are considering some new outboard gear to tighten up the sound, (2x 31 band EQ, dbx 1046, etc), BUT, it looks like an Allen & Heath GLD-80 series could address this nicely, and the PA28 is getting a bit long in the tooth. Has anyone compared the merits of a Yamaha LS9 vs a GLD-80 ?

The decision is still a ways off, but I was just on A&H's site, and the GLD series looks quite nice.

Last edited:
If you want an actual comparison, the GLD vs the X32 is what you really want to look at. The LS9 in my view is a bit long in the tooth for the price they want for it. Beyond that, to make the LS9 actually sound good takes a decent amount of extra gear (a good clock and external outputs).

The external pre-amps on the GLD can be a good thing or a bad thing, but that is up to you. There is no recording capability built into the console. I do like the encoder on every channel. Take a look at the X32, the consoles are pretty simular in everything but price.

I really just need to take a trip up to The Egg this summer to see you and the X32 in action.

I really just need to take a trip up to The Egg this summer to see you and the X32 in action.

It is not really used that much. It is only out if we use our monitor rig upstairs or we have a festival style show downstairs. Otherwise, we are on our Heritage 1k or GL2800. At the most it gets used 5 or 6 times a month. Luckly lately I have had enough guys around to run it so I have not gotten to play monitor guy for awhile... hopefully that continues.

Unless I had a very high end console, I'd need a very compelling reason to stay analog and buy new outboard when the X32 is available at such a low price. And so far, I've not seen anyone say it stinks.

I'd have to get much more familiar with the GLD to find things to justify the cost over the X32 (and I'm a long time A&H fanboy).

I probably approach digital console selection differently than most. I first define the functional requirements and layout the system with the mixer (which may end up being just the console or the console and remote I/O boxes) shown simply as a blank box. That then lets me define all the connectivity, functionality, etc. I ideally want from the mixer. Hopefully I can then find a mixer that supports the requirements that were thus defined and fits the budget. If not, then I have to go back and modify the requirements and/or the budget to reflect what is practical. With that approach you can identify specific details or requirements that may suggest or eliminate some options. That is also why I often hesitate to make specific product recommendations without being able to first address the situation in such a fashion.

As far as GLD-80 versus LS9, in general I find the GLD-80 interface with split fader banks, electronic scribble strips and color coding, etc. much easier to use. I also personally prefer the sound of the GLD-80 but that is one of those very subjective and situation dependent impressions. On the other side, if you have guest acts and operators then they may be much more likely to be familiar with and have show files for the LS9.

If you throw the X32 into the mix then price definitely becomes a factor, however you may also want to consider long term plans. One of the things I really like with the Allen & Heath and Yamaha digital consoles is the flexibility in supporting various digital and network audio formats other than their own, in fact Yamaha has made the decision to no longer develop proprietary formats and to instead support those developed by others. And if some new format or protocol becomes popular then it may well be possible for an associated interface card to be developed, making the mixer less likely to be obsoleted by such developments. Unless AES50 becomes more widely embraced or optional card become available to replace the Firewire/USB card then the Behringer only supports Firewire/USB and what are effectively proprietary audio networks.

Most people do not find it a limitation but I have heard from some who have encountered issues with the 'ganged' I/O routing of the X32, primarily in situations such as multiple wall plates and/or floor pockets wired to multiple stage boxes and using a limited number of inputs at each box or plate. Again, very dependent on the specific application.

I currently am waiting a bit before too widely recommending the X32 for projects. I am always wary of revolutionary new products and especially when incorporate significant new, product specific, components. That those are internally designed and manufactured could turn out to be a strength or a weakness for the X32 but since it applies to many of the faders, meters, pots, etc. components whose warranty is limited to one year I am interested to see how the related durability and reliability play out after the X32 has been in use a bit longer. If in 6 or 12 months things still look good I will look at that as a major positive but until then I hesitate to recommend it to anyone who does not understand and accept the associated risk.

I've never used the GLD series, but my shopmate had an iLive T112 for a while. It was just okay. He had bought it to replace an LS9 and it was a HUGE upgrade from that. It was a little more cumbersome to use but it sounded a thousand times better. Now, as has been suggested, the X32 is also comparable and is a lot less expensive. In the price range of the GLD/LS9/StudioLive I really don't see a reason not to buy the X32. I have an SI Compact and while it does sound better than the X32 there's really nothing that the SI can do that the X32 can't. I'm not planning on selling my SI but if I had it to do again I'd buy the X32 (or a pair) instead.

I've got a GLD80 at my new job and I'm going to be training myself to use it over the weeks ahead. There are lots of online videos and things but, I'm curious who around here is an expert to help me when I get stuck.

We have one in our shop, I think you'll find it quite intuitive... We love the series, and even got ourselves a Qu-16 because of it! Ask away if you need!

Even though this is an older post, if any one is interested, this has also been discussed at the two live sound forums.
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,147110.0.html
http://soundforums.net/junior-varsity/7904-gld80-discussion.html
CB member @TJCornish has contributed to both threads, in fact he has info on a custom, lightweight road case for the one he uses. It is made of Coroplast instead of plywood.
Grr - IE11.

I'm happy to answer any questions. I've had my GLD since its initial release and know it pretty well. It's a lot of desk in a small footprint - really powerful.

We are on track to 4 X32's by the summer of 2014.
After my unfortunate experiences with iLive I would never consider an A&H digital.

iLive and GLD use different software, though I couldn't tell you what the big differences really are. We've got a GLD80 and a neighboring theatre has the iLive. Both run fairly similarly, but I haven't had the time to sit down and play with the iLive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back