End of Halogen?

No, but I worked at one that had an Organ Blower Room. I SO wanted to steal that sign!

We have an organ blower cage in the PAC, but there's no signage. Remember that in theater, the organ you're blowing is likely your liver....

The seal rooms were for aquatic mammals - below stage level and typically near the orchestra pit entrance. An artifact of the Vaudeville Era, can you imagine what the musicians had to smell on their way to the pit? @RonHebbard may have memories of such things.

Have come across a lot of elephant rooms in old theatres - and a camel room in a Scottish Rites temple.

We have a big air handler called "The Buffalo". The "door" leading to that room is more of a hatch, so no signage unfortunately.

We had an organ room, it got re-purposed for amplifiers

Attachments

• Phantom.jpg
    Phantom.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 207
Nobody has gone to this yet so I'll throw in a comment. Everyone talks about LED saving power versus tungsten/incandescent but the real power savings are in HVAC, without those big incandescent loads heating the building you can install smaller air conditioning units and you actually save more money on cooling than on lighting itself.
Bob
True as I pointed out in justifying some early all LED projects. Also smaller chillers, boilers, fan coil units, and ducts, so initial cost savings as well. Another reason replacing incandescent in an existing theatre is hard to justify. Many savings not available.

True as I pointed out in justifying some early all LED projects. Also smaller chillers, boilers, fan coil units, and ducts, so initial cost savings as well. Another reason replacing incandescent in an existing theatre is hard to justify. Many savings not available.
@BillConnerFASTC "smaller chillers, fan coil units, and ducts" I understand but "smaller boilers," how so?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Nobody has gone to this yet so I'll throw in a comment. Everyone talks about LED saving power versus tungsten/incandescent but the real power savings are in HVAC, without those big incandescent loads heating the building you can install smaller air conditioning units and you actually save more money on cooling than on lighting itself.
Bob
Do arch. / spec engrs. actually use lighting loads as an input when sizing HVAC?

I could see a case for the HVAC have to work less, but not necessarily being smaller.

For a theatrical or similar space with a large light load, I hope so! There's a large difference in heat load between a room with a handful of fluorescent lamps on for general lighting and the same space with a 300 - 1000 W lamp running every ~8 - 30 sqft in the same space. Even if LEDs were 0% efficient (that is, 100% waste heat) for the same light output we're looking at easily under 1/10th if not 1/20th the heat load of incandescents.

Do arch. / spec engrs. actually use lighting loads as an input when sizing HVAC?

I could see a case for the HVAC have to work less, but not necessarily being smaller.

Yes. The lighting load with traditional fixtures is huge.

Theatres are challenging for mechanical engineers - they have to balance the fact that the "peak load" of both lighting and occupancy occurs often and all at once and for a few hours at a time. They also have to account for acoustics and have air move at much lower speeds than normal.

Yes. I do a detailed statement for every project on cooling loads. It's a third or fourth with all LED compared to all incandescent. And there is usually a long discussion if diversity and length and likelihood of a big show in middle of day on hottest day of the year.

Yes, not sure why I added boilers. That would probably not change though the heating contributionn of lights is missing ....

Yes. I do a detailed statement for every project on cooling loads. It's a third or fourth with all LED compared to all incandescent. And there is usually a long discussion if diversity and length and likelihood of a big show in middle of day on hottest day of the year.

Yes, not sure why I added boilers. That would probably not change though the heating contributionn of lights is missing ....

@RonHebbard should know you have to boil (vaporize) ammonia to keep the ice floor frozen (absorption refrigeration).

Have come across a lot of elephant rooms in old theatres - and a camel room in a Scottish Rites temple.

The main stage at the Masonic Temple in Detroit has floor pockets with large forged rings anchored in them, which, as the Mason giving the tour explained, were for tethering elephants.

Yes. The lighting load with traditional fixtures is huge.

Theatres are challenging for mechanical engineers - they have to balance the fact that the "peak load" of both lighting and occupancy occurs often and all at once and for a few hours at a time. They also have to account for acoustics and have air move at much lower speeds than normal.

There’s a PLASA Protocal article of a few years back about Seattle Rep. having done a electrical usage survey. They used the software FocusTrack to calculate the incandescent lighting loads as used by the system during rehearsals and performances. The stage lighting system was 2% of the total electrical load in a year.

Makes it hard to justify an LED purchase based on savings in electricity.

http://edition.pagesuite-profession...me=&edid=444f8e2e-96bb-41de-8eb7-ca450656911e

I've often thought about this... DMX is a fairly slow protocol. I wonder why a standard has not evolved for sending DMX data right through power distribution. Even the old 10 Meg Ethernet can be sent this way and could handle 40 universes. Pretty easy to piggyback the carrier at distribution, then simply set the universe and address at the fixture. With that type of setup it would be as easy as hanging a conventional rig. Just plug and go. No separate data lines.

Well, not Ether over AC, but I understand that sACN/e.131 to the fixture is the coming thing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back