ERS lenses

epicket1

Hi, I am wondering if all ERS lenses fit all ERS fixtures. I saw on ebay a Altman ERS lens assembly for sale. I have ERS fixtures made by Times Square Lighting that were lying around that didn't have lenses. I contacted Times Square Lighting and they said they don't sell individual lenses just the whole fixture. Where can I get a lens tubes for them?

Thank you

I think I have seen the Altman lenses you are referring to. They're 6x9, correct?

To answer your question, all lenses are not created equal. You have a few factors at play. The most obvious of course, is the diameter (in the case of the Altman lenses listed: 6"). Then you have the focal length, and this is an important one. 6x9 lenses have a 9" focal length. 6x12 lenses looks very similar, for example, but are a bit thinner and have a 12" focal length. Interchanging the two results in a very ugly and uncontrollable beam.

Then of course you have the difference between plano convex, aspheric (ala Source Four, Shakespeare, etc), etc but we won't get in to all that. Your Times Square units most likely take two plano convex lenses arranged "belly-to-belly".

The main thing is to find out the diameter lens you need as well as the focal length of your fixture. If it is 6" diameter, 9" focal length, the Altman lens will most likely work. If not, you can buy lenses from other vendors in various focal lengths, but I'll warn you, they are pretty expensive. Not Canon Telephoto Lens expensive, but $50 a lens, which can get pricey if you need a bunch. By any chance can you post a photo or model number of the unit? Most TS lights are square and determining the lens train by outward appearance can be tricky on those.

Last edited:
Hi, I am wondering if all ERS lenses fit all ERS fixtures. I saw on ebay a Altman ERS lens assembly for sale. I have ERS fixtures made by Times Square Lighting that were lying around that didn't have lenses. I contacted Times Square Lighting and they said they don't sell individual lenses just the whole fixture. Where can I get a lens tubes for them?

Hi, the ERS's are 9 inches from the edge of the fixtures to the shutters and 6 inches square. Here are the pictures.
7440-ers-lenses-0610022317a.jpg
7441-ers-lenses-0610022317b.jpg

The ERS lenses are from Altman 360 Q. There is another listing for a ETC Source 4 19, 26, 36, 50 degree lens tube.

Thank you

Attachments

• 0610022317a.jpg
    0610022317a.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 294
  • 0610022317b.jpg
    0610022317b.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 363
Last edited by a moderator:
The 9 inches from the front of the fixture to the shutter plane is a good sign, as that is about where the focal point is.

You said it's from a 360Q -- is it a 6x9 or some other derivative? Altman also makes 360Q 4.5x6.5, 6x9, 6x12, 6x16 and 6x22 and each fixture takes a different lens (except I think the 6x22 uses one 6x16 lens - not sure).

You will probably have the best luck with the 6x9 lenses. Measure the area where the lenses are supposed to mount, and make sure it will accommodate a 6" lens. Also, does this fixture take two lenses, and does it have any left? The Altman lens tube should include two lenses, but it's hard to say what your configuration. Seems like fixtures like yours sometimes take a single lens. It looks similar in design to Colortran's mini-ellipse, which uses 4.5" lenses IIRC.

If the Altman lenses are cheap, you'd might as well give them a try. If they don't work, I will consider buying them off of you. Don't bother with the Source Four lens tubes. Those lenses are much more precise and probably won't yield good results in a fixture like this (which I assume has a peened aluminum reflector).

Edit: That looks so much like the Colortran Mini-Ellipse. Is the aperture (lens hole) about 4.5"? If so, contact Leviton. They may be able to get you a lens that will fit that.

Leviton (Formerly Colortran) contact info:
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=39287&minisite=10251

proxy.php

Last edited:
...Hi, the ERS's are 9 inches from the edge of the fixtures to the shutters and 6 inches square. Here are the pictures. ...
I believe the fixtures to be an earlier version of Times Square Stage Lighting - Q4Z , in a NON-zoom version, and thus use a lens tube similar to Times Square Stage Lighting - Q325 and the Mini-Ellipse. Various beam/field angle s can be achieved by moving the lenses around or changing them entirely. (Altman specified 4.5x6.5, 4.5x9.25, and 4.5x12 for its 4.5" Zoom ERS.)

Thus epicket1 needs not only lenses, but also the square inner lens tubes. These will be nearly impossible to find, and even if found, will cost more than the fixtures are worth. Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news. On the plus side, any Altman 360Q or 3.5Q will be a better fixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back