Control/Dimming ETC Element and ArtNet

So I'm looking into upgrading the way our system works and I'm trying to figure out how significant the advantages of artnet are. We have an ETC element 40 console, which supports 2 universes of DMX. (I have no experience with artnet so this is all speculation) And it has the support to run artnet. Which as I understand sends the commands for multiple universes of DMX at once. Can my console have more than just 2 universes if I'm using arnet?

Also, we are using an ETC unison system right now for house dimming as well as DMX distribution, as I understand that is completely incompatible with artnet, is that correct? So in order to get our house lights to work I would have to then run a DMX line from artnet into the console connection port so that it could still have house control. I realize that's kind of silly and makes most of the existing system completely useless, but it should work, right?

So I'm looking into upgrading the way our system works and I'm trying to figure out how significant the advantages of artnet are. We have an ETC element 40 console, which supports 2 universes of DMX. (I have no experience with artnet so this is all speculation) And it has the support to run artnet. Which as I understand sends the commands for multiple universes of DMX at once. Can my console have more than just 2 universes if I'm using arnet?

Also, we are using an ETC unison system right now for house dimming as well as DMX distribution, as I understand that is completely incompatible with artnet, is that correct? So in order to get our house lights to work I would have to then run a DMX line from artnet into the console connection port so that it could still have house control. I realize that's kind of silly and makes most of the existing system completely useless, but it should work, right?

The Element only supports two universes no matter how you output them from the console. The universe support is not a function of output protocol, but a function of limitations set in the software and hardware of the desk.

You can always use both the network and hard DMX outputs on the console at the same time, so you can send DMX to your Unison system and a network protocol to network devices if you want.

However, if you are going to set up a network distribution system, I would suggest that you use ETCNet3 hardware as it is built specifically to work with ETC consoles. ArtNet will work and could be a good path if you plan to upgrade to other types of consoles in the future. If you are just going to stick with the Element for the foreseeable future, I would go with the ETC gear.

Ok, good to know, I thought that seemed likely, but I was trying to be optimistic. But it's really not a big deal; I can't see us ever having more than 2 universes of lights.
Since 90% of our system remains pretty static that should be fine. But when our dimmer sticks backstage move they tend to move quite a bit, and wiring DMX to them is a pain, and requires a great deal of cable (which is pricey). Can I use artnet going into a router to broadcast to another router connected via a artnet ethernet to DMX box, so that I'm essentially controlling that stick wirelessly?
We already have the console connected to a network for mirroring and remote control of the board. So all we could need is another router connected to the dimmer, right?

The Element only supports two universes no matter how you output them from the console. The universe support is not a function of output protocol, but a function of limitations set in the software and hardware of the desk.

You can always use both the network and hard DMX outputs on the console at the same time, so you can send DMX to your Unison system and a network protocol to network devices if you want.

However, if you are going to set up a network distribution system, I would suggest that you use ETCNet3 hardware as it is built specifically to work with ETC consoles. ArtNet will work and could be a good path if you plan to upgrade to other types of consoles in the future. If you are just going to stick with the Element for the foreseeable future, I would go with the ETC gear.

I looked this up the other day, I thought I found that the element supports 1024 addresses, but they can be across as many universes as you wish. Small difference functionally, but maybe not practically.

I looked this up the other day, I thought I found that the element supports 1024 addresses, but they can be across as many universes as you wish. Small difference functionally, but maybe not practically.

No, that would be a huge difference if that's the way if worked. Because then it would mean we could set up a bunch of artnet universes, but each one would only have a few addresses. So by doing that we would go over the 2 universe limit, but we would never go over the 1024 address limit.
Because as I understand it, each time we go from ethernet to DMX, that bridge counts as a universe. So that would prevent us from really taking advantage of all of the pluses of artnet if we could only have 2 universes total.

I'm a little confused with what you are trying to do. I'm going to talk in terms of ACN, because I'm a bit more familiar with it than artnet, but the limitations are the same. You can have as many nodes as you want, patched to as many universes as you want (well, etc supports 128 different acn universes currently, even though the standard limit is somewhere around 64000 universes in acn). Or you can have many nodes as you want all patched to the same universe (if you want to distribute data to multiple places and only have nodes/cat5 drylines). All etc cares about on the element in terms of limits is channel count (250 or 500) and address count (1024).

No, that would be a huge difference if that's the way if worked. Because then it would mean we could set up a bunch of artnet universes, but each one would only have a few addresses. So by doing that we would go over the 2 universe limit, but we would never go over the 1024 address limit.
Because as I understand it, each time we go from ethernet to DMX, that bridge counts as a universe. So that would prevent us from really taking advantage of all of the pluses of artnet if we could only have 2 universes total.

The Element counts two things:
1. Channel count - only 250 or 500 channels can be used on the console, depending on what it is configured for. (This is unique to Element, and upgrades can be purchased to turn a 250 into a 500)
2. Address count - up to 1024 addresses can be patched across any number of universes

The Element doesn't keep track of the number of gateways or nodes connected to it (for output count purposes). It only keeps track of the addresses that it has patched, and makes sure that total count doesn't exceed 1024. If it does have more than that patched, it won't output it. (With software version 2.0, the console will give you an advisory when this happens.) You can also see the current number of addresses patched at any time from the About screen with a clear command line.

Does this help?

But when our dimmer sticks backstage move they tend to move quite a bit, and wiring DMX to them is a pain, and requires a great deal of cable (which is pricey). Can I use artnet going into a router to broadcast to another router connected via a artnet ethernet to DMX box, so that I'm essentially controlling that stick wirelessly?
We already have the console connected to a network for mirroring and remote control of the board. So all we could need is another router connected to the dimmer, right?

Ethernet can be wired or wireless, but wireless brings issues that are not good for show critical functions. It's great for remote focus and utility work, but running the whole rig? :(

Yes you can just extend the network instead of DMX cable. But, you can buy a lot of cable for the price of good node.

Ok, good to know, I thought that seemed likely, but I was trying to be optimistic. But it's really not a big deal; I can't see us ever having more than 2 universes of lights.
Since 90% of our system remains pretty static that should be fine. But when our dimmer sticks backstage move they tend to move quite a bit, and wiring DMX to them is a pain, and requires a great deal of cable (which is pricey). Can I use artnet going into a router to broadcast to another router connected via a artnet ethernet to DMX box, so that I'm essentially controlling that stick wirelessly?

I would definately not reccomend trying to do artnet over wireless ethernet. If you're looking for a wireless solution, look at city theatricals showdmx or similar. It's still expensive, but it's engineered to do what your trying to do, and not to fit a square peg in a round hole.

I would definately not reccomend trying to do artnet over wireless ethernet. If you're looking for a wireless solution, look at city theatricals showdmx or similar. It's still expensive, but it's engineered to do what your trying to do, and not to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Yeah, that would probably be a better idea. We'd just be using it for things like the ground row and other cyc projections; the cyc isn't hung in the same place every show so we're always moving all of those lights. And wiring to get to them can be a pain.

The Element counts two things:
1. Channel count - only 250 or 500 channels can be used on the console, depending on what it is configured for. (This is unique to Element, and upgrades can be purchased to turn a 250 into a 500)
2. Address count - up to 1024 addresses can be patched across any number of universes

The Element doesn't keep track of the number of gateways or nodes connected to it (for output count purposes). It only keeps track of the addresses that it has patched, and makes sure that total count doesn't exceed 1024. If it does have more than that patched, it won't output it. (With software version 2.0, the console will give you an advisory when this happens.) You can also see the current number of addresses patched at any time from the About screen with a clear command line.

Does this help?

Yes, that helps a lot. We don't have to worry about running out of universes, and can use artnet to avoid silly back and forth loops of DMX to make sure everything is wired in series. It's a pain (and expensive cable wise) to run DMX to one side of the theater, then back again to keep the chain going. Not that the artnet-DMX adapters are the cheapest thing in the world, but they add in ease of use.

Yes, that helps a lot. We don't have to worry about running out of universes, and can use artnet to avoid silly back and forth loops of DMX to make sure everything is wired in series. It's a pain (and expensive cable wise) to run DMX to one side of the theater, then back again to keep the chain going. Not that the artnet-DMX adapters are the cheapest thing in the world, but they add in ease of use.

You may also want to look into a(n) opto-splitter (s) to avoid running a single long chain. It may also be a good idea so if one unit on the line fails, it doesn't cut off DMX to the rest of the rig.

You may also want to look into a(n) opto-splitter (s) to avoid running a single long chain. It may also be a good idea so if one unit on the line fails, it doesn't cut off DMX to the rest of the rig.

Yeah, we looked into those. They're definitely a useful thing. BUT they're pretty pricey, and we still have to run fairly long runs of DMX. It'd cut down half of the cable (only there, no back). But it's not nearly as cheap as running ethernet (dirt cheap) and converting to DMX. Eventually a splitter would end up being cheaper than getting a bunch of artnet-dmx converters. But at that point we're back to having ludicrously long runs of DMX. We'd have artnet wired throughout the building and only need to convert at tactical locations. With just a splitter we'd have to run more DMX out to over there.
As for reliability, I'm fairly confident that our equipment won't fail us and cut the line (we basically have dimmer sticks; we only have a handful of intelligent fixtures), but the way the theater's DMX is wired is in 4 separate lines. So it's already split. So if something (other than that of course) fails, the worst that could happen is a quarter of the lights go out.

I have to ask this question. Why are we specifically talking about Art-Net? Is there a reason that the OP is not interested in any of the other network options? All things considered, the artnet hardware isn't going to be that much cheaper than ETC hardware (assuming you buy hardware from a reputable manufacturer). That being the case, the ETC hardware, as I mentioned before, will probably be a lot easier to deal with if you already have an ETC system. For the most part, you can just plug it in and it works. It is easily configurable right from the console.

I have to ask this question. Why are we specifically talking about Art-Net? Is there a reason that the OP is not interested in any of the other network options? All things considered, the artnet hardware isn't going to be that much cheaper than ETC hardware (assuming you buy hardware from a reputable manufacturer). That being the case, the ETC hardware, as I mentioned before, will probably be a lot easier to deal with if you already have an ETC system. For the most part, you can just plug it in and it works. It is easily configurable right from the console.

I know absolutely nothing about any ETC hardware that has the same purpose as artnet. I'd love to give it a look though, any suggestions?

I know absolutely nothing about any ETC hardware that has the same purpose as artnet. I'd love to give it a look though, any suggestions?

ArtNet is merely one of the protocols for sending DMX on an Ethernet system. All Ethernet systems use off-the-shelf system hardware, such as switches to distribute the Ethernet data, as well as having limitations to length of cable runs inherent in Ethernet- 300 ft per run. As well, you need to follow star distribution topology with Ethernet, so that each device has an E-Net cable home run back to a switch.

The Element can use different types of DMX over Ethernet protocols - Net2, Net3, also known as sACN (For Streaming ACN) as well as Artnet. The only advantage for Artnet is it's a free standard in that the design is published and free, so in theory, any manufacturer can build devices that use Artnet. They can use sACN as well and many do. Thus using Artnet only becomes useful when you NEED to mix and match equipment from different manufacturers. Are planning on doing that ?.

In the end though and unless you have listening devices that can receive the E-Net protocol directly (such as Sensor racks with CEM+ or CEM3), you end up needing DMX somewhere, typically at the moving lights or LED's. DMX is generally easier to distribute at the device end, the cables and connectors typically being more robust, the allowed length of DMX is greater then E-Net, etc... so you end up with DMX anyway.

If you send the output off the console as Ethernet, you end up with Nodes (Net2) or Gateways (Net3/sACN) to get the DMX to the dimmers and/or other listening devices. If the Nodes are ETC Net2's, you're using Net2. If they are ETC Gateways, you have some freedom as to the E-Net protocol, but no advantage to not using sACN. Lot's of companies use sACN as well, it's probably about as common as ArtNet these days.

But the bottom line is this is still only an Element, whose channel limitations, as well as address limitations, do not allow a big system to be in place, making the need to go to ArtNet and possibly using Ethernet at all, moot. If you are controlling dimmers and they want DMX, the Unison is sending DMX to the dimmers, and you might want to add some LED's and Movers, your best option might be to add DMX distribution, such as an opto-splitter. If you want to delve into Ethernet, you will need to run a Ethernet cable from the console to a convenient location where you can put a Etherent switch. That switch will want to be a robust and reliable model that also drives Power-over-Ethernet. That's the method for getting Gateways powered (in place of needing local AC power off a wall wort) by sending the lo-voltage power of the E-Net cable. And then you need to purchase Gateways to break out the DMX to the devices.

All that hardware makes for a nice purchase order for some lucky vendor.

ArtNet is merely one of the protocols for sending DMX on an Ethernet system. All Ethernet systems use off-the-shelf system hardware, such as switches to distribute the Ethernet data, as well as having limitations to length of cable runs inherent in Ethernet- 300 ft per run. As well, you need to follow star distribution topology with Ethernet, so that each device has an E-Net cable home run back to a switch.

The Element can use different types of DMX over Ethernet protocols - Net2, Net3, also known as sACN (For Streaming ACN) as well as Artnet. The only advantage for Artnet is it's a free standard in that the design is published and free, so in theory, any manufacturer can build devices that use Artnet. They can use sACN as well and many do. Thus using Artnet only becomes useful when you NEED to mix and match equipment from different manufacturers. Are planning on doing that ?.

In the end though and unless you have listening devices that can receive the E-Net protocol directly (such as Sensor racks with CEM+ or CEM3), you end up needing DMX somewhere, typically at the moving lights or LED's. DMX is generally easier to distribute at the device end, the cables and connectors typically being more robust, the allowed length of DMX is greater then E-Net, etc... so you end up with DMX anyway.

If you send the output off the console as Ethernet, you end up with Nodes (Net2) or Gateways (Net3/sACN) to get the DMX to the dimmers and/or other listening devices. If the Nodes are ETC Net2's, you're using Net2. If they are ETC Gateways, you have some freedom as to the E-Net protocol, but no advantage to not using sACN. Lot's of companies use sACN as well, it's probably about as common as ArtNet these days.

But the bottom line is this is still only an Element, whose channel limitations, as well as address limitations, do not allow a big system to be in place, making the need to go to ArtNet and possibly using Ethernet at all, moot. If you are controlling dimmers and they want DMX, the Unison is sending DMX to the dimmers, and you might want to add some LED's and Movers, your best option might be to add DMX distribution, such as an opto-splitter. If you want to delve into Ethernet, you will need to run a Ethernet cable from the console to a convenient location where you can put a Etherent switch. That switch will want to be a robust and reliable model that also drives Power-over-Ethernet. That's the method for getting Gateways powered (in place of needing local AC power off a wall wort) by sending the lo-voltage power of the E-Net cable. And then you need to purchase Gateways to break out the DMX to the devices.

All that hardware makes for a nice purchase order for some lucky vendor.

Yeah, all of our things take DMX; our LEDs and various moving fixtures too. The reason we'd want ethernet distribution is not simplify THE SYSTEM, but to simplify its USE. Basically wiring backstage so that all of our dimmers have data is a pain because they're always moving and have lots of stuff and people around; we always end up looping backwards and having hundreds of feet of "unnecessary" DMX. A DMX splitter could do the job for JUST backstage and that would be fine. Ethernet is "split" really easily, so wherever in the theater we need to get data, we can get the data. We don't need to run a 200ft run from the DMX splitter over to it.
And in our case, we already have an existing wired network throughout the theater (for mirroring the console's display). So we wouldn't need to run all that much more cable to get it working.

I realize artnet and similar are generally used for a massive system of lights, we only have 200ish conventionals and a dozen or so intelligent fixtures; so it's for ease of data distribution.

Yeah, all of our things take DMX; our LEDs and various moving fixtures too. The reason we'd want ethernet distribution is not simplify THE SYSTEM, but to simplify its USE. Basically wiring backstage so that all of our dimmers have data is a pain because they're always moving and have lots of stuff and people around; we always end up looping backwards and having hundreds of feet of "unnecessary" DMX. A DMX splitter could do the job for JUST backstage and that would be fine. Ethernet is "split" really easily, so wherever in the theater we need to get data, we can get the data. We don't need to run a 200ft run from the DMX splitter over to it.
And in our case, we already have an existing wired network throughout the theater (for mirroring the console's display). So we wouldn't need to run all that much more cable to get it working.

I realize artnet and similar are generally used for a massive system of lights, we only have 200ish conventionals and a dozen or so intelligent fixtures; so it's for ease of data distribution.

It sounds like you need an E-Net system, with Gateways for DMX distro. I would be looking at getting a PoE Ethernet switch,installed where you can home-run the E-Net cabling to one location, then install Ethernet jacks around the space. One option is to install HP/3Com Intellijacks in place of just Ct5/RJ45 jacks, as it allows you to get multiple taps at each location, with only one cable home-run back to the PoE switch. From there you need DMX out to the devices, and would recommend the assorted ETC Gateways devices running sACN for DMX distro. You can use an ArtNet device, but the advantage of having your network system (and console) on one manufacturer, is it makes it easier to setup and trouble shoot (Think about when you can't print, from Adobe, on a Windows machine and an HP printer - who 'ya gonna call ?).

The thing is, if you want to set up a good network distribution system you will probably spend as much as you would running DMX. However, I do agree that having a network system does make life easier once it is installed. Another thing is that you really shouldn't use the existing building network if is currently being used for other things, especially Internet. Ideally, your lighting network should be separate from networks that are used by other people & devices, this is for stability and integrity.

Since it sounds like you have a lot of distribution needs, you will probably need some good switching hardware. At the very least you will want business class switches, but to get good POE switches you will probably be in enterprise class hardware. The other thing about setting up an Ethernet network is that it uses a star topology, so you will need to pull all your cat5/6 runs back to your central switch. So despite the fact that the cable is cheap, you will need a lot of it.

As I mentioned before, I would suggest going with ETC Net3 hardware as opposed to artnet unless you know that you will be using other consoles and such in the near future. For what you describe, I think that you would want a handful of Net3 2-port gateways in the portable/touring style. These are set up to be clamped to pipes near equipment that needs DMX. You can also get 1-port and 2-port wall mount gateways as well as 4-port rack/table-top units. All the gateways use POE for power, so with a POE switch all you have to do is plug in the Ethernet cable and away you go. You can read about gateway options here: http://www.etcconnect.com/products.networking.aspx

The other thing to consider about a network distribution system is that most network cable is pretty fragile. You can get heavy duty network cable with nice thick jackets and robust connectors and covers, but at that point you are getting close to the price point of DMX cable. However if you are putting cable in high traffic areas or stringing on battens that fly, having heavy duty cable is probably better. I have a bunch of the TMB heavy duty network cable, and it is totally worth it. The runs in the walls are regular network cable, but anything we use on stage is the good stuff.

There is certainly a great beauty and ease of use when you have a network distribution system. The system seems complex, but once the backbones are in place, it is really very simple and elegant to use (at least mine is). So, the only thing to keep in mind is that a network system done correctly will probably not come out to being less expensive to install than a pure DMX distribution system. However, installing a network will help with future-proofing your system. While change is slow, networks are the wave of the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The thing is, if you want to set up a good network distribution system you will probably spend as much as you would running DMX. However, I do agree that having a network system does make life easier once it is installed. Another thing is that you really shouldn't use the existing building network if is currently being used for other things, especially Internet. Ideally, your lighting network should be separate from networks that are used by other people & devices, this is for stability and integrity.

Since it sounds like you have a lot of distribution needs, you will probably need some good switching hardware. At the very least you will want business class switches, but to get good POE switches you will probably be in enterprise class hardware. The other thing about setting up an Ethernet network is that it uses a star topology, so you will need to pull all your cat5/6 runs back to your central switch. So despite the fact that the cable is cheap, you will need a lot of it.

As I mentioned before, I would suggest going with ETC Net3 hardware as opposed to artnet unless you know that you will be using other consoles and such in the near future. For what you describe, I think that you would want a handful of Net3 2-port gateways in the portable/touring style. These are set up to be clamped to pipes near equipment that needs DMX. You can also get 1-port and 2-port wall mount gateways as well as 4-port rack/table-top units. All the gateways use POE for power, so with a POE switch all you have to do is plug in the Ethernet cable and away you go. You can read about gateway options here: Lighting solutions for Theatre, Film & Television Studios and Architectural spaces : ETC

The other thing to consider about a network distribution system is that most network cable is pretty fragile. You can get heavy duty network cable with nice thick jackets and robust connectors and covers, but at that point you are getting close to the price point of DMX cable. However if you are putting cable in high traffic areas or stringing on battens that fly, having heavy duty cable is probably better. I have a bunch of the TMB heavy duty network cable, and it is totally worth it. The runs in the walls are regular network cable, but anything we use on stage is the good stuff.

There is certainly a great beauty and ease of use when you have a network distribution system. The system seems complex, but once the backbones are in place, it is really very simple and elegant to use (at least mine is). So, the only thing to keep in mind is that a network system done correctly will probably not come out to being less expensive to install than a pure DMX distribution system. However, installing a network will help with future-proofing your system. While change is slow, networks are the wave of the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Our system isn't really part of the building's system. We basically undermined the existing networking and built our own network on top of it (in a school, not just a theater, so it WOULD have a lot of traffic). Our (tech's) router is connected through a jack connected to one of the school switches. And we created our own network from there; we have just a handful of access points distributed over a few hundred feet. All of the LAN traffic on our network is from just a handful of theater devices; so we're not really getting any network traffic. So it should be just fine for sending lighting data.

Yeah, we'll make sure we've got a good switch. What I don't understand is your reference of "star topology." I'm fairly capable with networking, and I've never heard that mentioned. So could you go into what that is?

I'd LOVE to use ETC Net3, but like I said, we're just a school, and we don't have a massive budget. So we don't have the money to fully renovate the system with net3. As it is I'm trying to throw it in under the "random other things" type of category in the budget. So I'm trying to keep the price down, not no money spent, but not thousands.

Yeah, believe me, I'm aware of the fragility of ethernet cable. All of our run's are in isolated areas where only the tech team ever goes. For any runs through high traffic areas we'd use stronger ethernet, or it would have already been converted to DMX at that point. So I'm not too worried about our cable.

Our system isn't really part of the building's system. We basically undermined the existing networking and built our own network on top of it (in a school, not just a theater, so it WOULD have a lot of traffic). Our (tech's) router is connected through a jack connected to one of the school switches. And we created our own network from there; we have just a handful of access points distributed over a few hundred feet. All of the LAN traffic on our network is from just a handful of theater devices; so we're not really getting any network traffic. So it should be just fine for sending lighting data.

This is exactly what you aren't supposed to do. You shouldn't have any connection between your lighting system and the building network for a multitude of reasons. One being that internet+lighting system=unrealiable. You have to remember that at heart, your lighting console is a just a computer running windows, so once it is on a network with internet access, it becomes a target for viruses, malware, spyware, and hackers. Even a network with only your theatre computers on it can cause issues. The last thing you want is for something to go wrong in the middle of a show. This is also why you want it to be a wired network and not wireless. While wireless networking is pretty reliable, it doesn't hurt you if you lose packets while cruising facebook, but if the data stream from the console drops data, you lose control of your show.

Yeah, we'll make sure we've got a good switch. What I don't understand is your reference of "star topology." I'm fairly capable with networking, and I've never heard that mentioned. So could you go into what that is?

Star topology is the way an ethernet network is laid out. You have a central switch to which every other device is connected. If you were to draw the layout on paper it would look like a star with the switch at the center. like the spokes on a bike wheel.

DMX distribution uses a linear/daisy chain topology where you go out from the controller, into the first device, then daisy chain from device to device. You can split it with an opto-splitter, but that does not make it a true star topology.

I'd LOVE to use ETC Net3, but like I said, we're just a school, and we don't have a massive budget. So we don't have the money to fully renovate the system with net3. As it is I'm trying to throw it in under the "random other things" type of category in the budget. So I'm trying to keep the price down, not no money spent, but not thousands.

The thing is that wether you use artnet or Net3, it isn't going to be inexpensive. There may be cheap artnet nodes on the market, but I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't come from a reputable manufacturer. If it is some no-name brand you found online, I wouldn't put too much faith in them. You will want to look for hardware from people like Pathway Connectivity, or other known manufacturers. Again, it won't be cheap, but it will do what you want.

Yeah, believe me, I'm aware of the fragility of ethernet cable. All of our run's are in isolated areas where only the tech team ever goes. For any runs through high traffic areas we'd use stronger ethernet, or it would have already been converted to DMX at that point. So I'm not too worried about our cable.

Something else to keep in mind is that you really can't just go stringing cable, especially with the intent that it be permanent. Cable should be run in conduit or cable chases. It doesn't matter if it is in a place where "only the tech team ever goes" because all it takes is one door closed wrong, or a cable getting mashed between feet and catwalks to break a cable. You are in a school, which is a public building, so doing things wrong can be bad.

Remember, I am not saying that you can't or shouldn't run cables and build a network, but you need to make sure that it is done right and not just cobbled together. I work in a professional theatre where there are so many things that have been cobbled together by my predecessors and some days it is just so frustrating to make the simplest things work. If it had ben done right the first time, life would be good. A good system done right is worth spending the money on, if you do it half-as$ed or poorly, it will end up costing you money and time in the future. In your case it may not be you if you are a student, it will be someone else who you are costing time and money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back