ETC EOS RPU Turning back on after power outage.

Morte615

I can't get to my manuals till tomorrow afternoon, which is when I need to start this project, so I am going to ask the hive mind. Is there a way to set up an ETC EOS RPU to start back up after a power outage. The system is already installed but being renovated to run nightly without an operator. So I am just worried that if we lose power, or someone hits the wrong switch, that the system will not run because the EOS was never turned back on!

I already know how to setup the computer that will be operating the cues (with SFX) to turn on when power is received, so the EOS is the main issue right now.

Seeing that all of the Eos consoles (most modern consoles really) are just standard PCs with a custom faceplate on them, I'd imagine that this capability is dependent upon the PC hardware running the RPU. From what I remember, most motherboards are configured in hardware to either power back on after power loss or stay off, so if it doesn't already I'm not sure there's a way to enable this behavior. But maybe ETC has a card up their collective sleeve.

I don't know if the RPUs can be set to power back on by themselves but EOS line RPU's are able to respond to a "Wake on LAN" command if configured to do so in the EOS Shell. You would have to have a network device (like the computer running SFX) that can send that command to turn the RPU on.

-Todd

Last edited:
This is a setting that if you can enable (which I bet that you can), you would likely have to do it in the BIOS menu during boot-up. Try that (usually it's F11 or Del that you press during boot-up to get into BIOS).

It may be password-protected or general access to BIOS settings may be locked down. If so, give ETC a call and if you ask nicely, they may give you everything you need to know to enable that setting.

You can also just wait for one of the Tech Serv folk to respond to this thread or PM you.

Of course the other, and more better option is to install a UPS in your rack with the RPU. Then you are protected from power failures and such all the time, so you don't lose information when you are working and the power goes out.

There actually already is a UPS in the system, this is mostly in case someone hits the wrong breaker when closing up and it ends up staying off all night and killing the battery. There have been a few occasions where power has been lost for hours and most UPS only have enough power for a few minutes (an hour tops), just enough time to save what you are doing and to have a clean shut down. Of course if we don't have the monitor's on it that would extend the time also.

Also if the UPS does drain and die, no one will know that the RPU is not on till the show fails to start on time. At a worst case scenario that's really not all that bad but would still like to avoid it.

I don't know if the RPUs can be set to power back on by themselves but EOS line consoles and RPU's are able to respond to a "Wake on LAN" command if configured to do so in the EOS Shell. You would have to have a network device (like the computer running SFX) that can send that command to turn the RPU on.

-Todd

The SFX computer is connected to the RPU with an Ethernet cable already. Could I send the signal through that cable, or would that interfere with the system?

I have an Ion, Paradigm, and 2 CEM+ Sensor 96 Racks on Net 3. Hav not tried this but....... Being ETC native language among the equipment, is there an option for a Paradigm processor to fire the 'power on' command at a designated time via timed events calendar? I don't even know if you have an artichetrual control processor, but if it's possable for ETC equipment to do then it's a matter of what info is being sent over the the network and what you have to send the info.

As my student tech crew would say about now, "Looks like he's got one of them idea things........ RUN!!"

There is NO budget for this at all, so I can't buy anything to make it work. But I am hoping that its a software thing so nothing else will be needed. I would prefer to have the RPU unit turn itself on but if needed I would look at a wake on lan also.How does the wake on lan work? Is it brought up in the manual? If so I can look it up tomorrow.Thanks everyone!

The SFX computer is connected to the RPU with an Ethernet cable already. Could I send the signal through that cable, or would that interfere with the system?

Yes, you can use the same cable. The SFX computer will send the command (actually called a "magic packet") to the RPU via Ethernet- it's just one computer talking to another, so no special ETC protocols are involved. You do need to have a program that runs on the SFX computer to send the "magic packet". I found a free program to do so at http://remoterebootx.com/ - it sounds good but but I have not used this program and can't vouch for how well it would work or whether it will play nicely with the configuration of the SFX machine.

I haven't tested this, so feel free to take this advice with a grain of salt.
-Todd

There is NO budget for this at all, so I can't buy anything to make it work.

I made my last post as a general thought about ETC equipment. I have no idea if it would work or not. I had no intent for you to purchase an ACP.

Q: How Does 'Wake On Lan' work?
A: #1 - Each device on the network must have the feature enabled; if you want that device to respond. #2 - Power on one of the 'WOL' devices. #3 - go into the display, scroll down to the 'network' heading, select 'power on ....' option.

I use this feature with my RVI(Remote Video Interface) which I use on stage during hang N' Focus to do basic programming while directing student workers. My RVI doesn't find the master COnsole cause it's not on. I click on 'troubleshoot' which puts the RVI into offline mode, but still active on the network. I perform the steps outlined above, with in 3 min I'm up and woeking with out spending the time away the the task on stage. Once I have made the WOL command I have to exit to the 'shell' and some back into 'Eos Client'. Where the RVI sits waiting for the Master Console to come online. With an RPU you wouldn't have to wait for a master console, it can be one.

I'm definatly going to look into how to do this for myself. Would be sweat to schedule an event on our ACP to have the console up and going just before we're ready to get going.

There is NO budget for this at all, so I can't buy anything to make it work. But I am hoping that its a software thing so nothing else will be needed. I would prefer to have the RPU unit turn itself on but if needed I would look at a wake on lan also.How does the wake on lan work? Is it brought up in the manual? If so I can look it up tomorrow.Thanks everyone!

The info on Remote power on/off is in the EOS v1.9.11 Operations Manual Supplement (http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/manuals/Eos_Family_v1.9.11_Operations_Manual_Supplement_revA.pdf) on page 52. Generic info on Wake-on-LAN can be found via your favorite search engine- it is a widely adopted network standard.

-Todd

Yeah I kinda worded that weird, I wasn't directing it at you so much as just stating that I have 0 budget. Thanks though it sounds like a good project :D

I don't have access to a PDF reader till this afternoon (the reason I don't have my manuals handy!) But I have bookmarked the link and will be checking it out later, thanks!

Still curious, haven't heard from anyone at ETC yet, if there is a setting for the RPU that will just allow it to turn back on once it receives power. If not I am thinking I will have to use the wake-on LAN feature. I will probably have to place something on the control computer to run when that boots up, that will in turn send the Wake-on LAN signal to the RPU.

Throwing this out there, is there a command in SFX that I can send through the system to act as the Wake-on LAN? That would make everything easier actually! (We are using NET3 hardware and all the controls are hardwired with CAT5 (or 6 not sure).

Hi Morte615,

There is indeed a setting for this behaviour that is disabled by default. Please give us a call at 800-688-4116 anytime Monday-Friday between 8a and 5p Central Time to discuss how to change this setting.

OK sounds good I am going in at 1pm EST and once I get to the location will try to give you guys a call. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back