ETC Link/ ECTNet

peacefulone61

I have just started work at a new school, it looks like the light board is set up using both DMX and ETCNet or Link, I do not know enough about it to know which one it is, and I have been having problems finding information out on. I was wondering if anyone knew more about this and could point me in the right direction.

The cable that is coming out the back of the board looks like an Ethernet cable and it goes to a wall panel with other ethernet ports to plug into.

Thank you for any help that you can offer.

I have just started work at a new school, it looks like the light board is set up using both DMX and ETCNet or Link, I do not know enough about it to know which one it is, and I have been having problems finding information out on. I was wondering if anyone knew more about this and could point me in the right direction.

The cable that is coming out the back of the board looks like an Ethernet cable and it goes to a wall panel with other ethernet ports to plug into.

Thank you for any help that you can offer.

If I were to venture a guess you're using an Emphasis set up (either an Express or Expression tied to a computer) is that correct?

If it looks like an Ethernet cable then it is ETCNet. ETCLink is a 6-pin XLR connector. It is possible, like others have said, that you have an Emphasis server set up. Where does the Ethernet cable go when it comes out of the board? If it is not an Emphasis then it most likely leads to a jack somewhere in the house where you can set up an RVI for tech.

-Tim

The board is a ETC Expressions 48/96 the cable comes out of the back to a wall jack that has 6 ports. I found an old Photo while cleaning up more and when I blew it up it looks like each port is marked with a Electric in the house. But when i went to the cat walk i could not find anything. at the other end.

There are two MAC 500 in the system that I have been told work but have not been able to respond to the board when the Power is turned on. So i was hoping that is how they were connected to the system. I will try and take some pictures tomorrow and post. Thank you for all the help.

ETC Link is an old technology that allowed the console to talk to the dimmer rack and have information reported back and viewable on the console. The amount of information depended upon the dimmer rack options that were installed. If you have an Advanced Features rack, then you were able to have detailed information down to whether or not a breaker had tripped or a lamp had gone out. At the most basic level, the rack was able to report voltages and temperature readings.

ETC LINK in no way would control your moving lights or any other aspect of your system.(Mostly that is - unless you have an ETC LINK Button Station - possible, but unlikely) It just was there for reporting back information.

Thank you, I now understand more about the system as a theory, but when it comes to this system I am more confused. I am calling the company that did the original install to see if they still have the specs on the system. There are major addressing issues with the MAC's that need to be fixed as well so I think a professional outside of myself will be needed.

If it really is addressing issues, as you mention above - this should be something that you should do. or teach yourself how. or have someone teach you. Addressing a fixture is something that you, as an owner of moving lights, should be able to do without hesitation. It's part of knowing how your gear works, and works together with other elements of your system to function as a system.

But do post pictures of what you have so that we can go over with you in more detail what is going on. You also might give ETC a call (800-688-4116) They should have the drawings of your system as it was installed.

But you are heading down the right track with calling the company who installed the system. They should also have all that documentation. If they do not, however, ETC should be able to get you the info.

If they do not, however, ETC should be able to get you the info.
That is, if the whole install is ETC. It is possible that the Express was brought in at a later date.

Calling the installing company is good place to start. Also, some simple pictures of what your setup looks like could give us the information we need to help you understand.

-Tim

Last edited:
That is, if the whole install is ETC. It is possible that the Express was brought it at a later date.

Calling the installing company is good place to start. Also, some simple pictures of what your setup looks like could give us the information we need to help you understand.

-Tim

True, but since he accurately described the 6 pin ETC Link Connector, I'm thinking he has a complete ETC install. I could always be wrong....

So I just got off the phone with the installer. The MAC 500s were patched into channels 49+ and the board is set up as a 1 scene board so sliders can assist in cue writing on an intelligent-light-unfriendly board. Both Fixtures have been pretty disagreeable since there install. the HR instrument frequently doesn't listen and can be difficult to spark as I think there is an addressing or cabling problem; there are two sets of cables up there, one which allows the instruments to be daisy chained, and another which connects both directly to the ETCLink.

So I just got off the phone with the installer. The MAC 500s were patched into channels 49+ and the board is set up as a 1 scene board so sliders can assist in cue writing on an intelligent-light-unfriendly board. Both Fixtures have been pretty disagreeable since there install. the HR instrument frequently doesn't listen and can be difficult to spark as I think there is an addressing or cabling problem; there are two sets of cables up there, one which allows the instruments to be daisy chained, and another which connects both directly to the ETCLink.

Sorry, but there are many things wrong with this paragraph so some clarification would be nice. First, if the 48/96 is setup as a one scene then that means you have direct control over 96 channels with the faders. Perhaps you mean it is setup as 2-scene preset? The instruments not responding may be a termination issue; it depends on what you mean by "doesn't listen." Secondly, the two sets of cable are most like data and power. ETC Link has nothing to do with it. Like jmabray said, ETC Link is a technology that allowed feedback from ETC dimmers. There is no way a fixture would be plugged into it, and if it were, it wouldn't do anything. You may have meant ETCNet instead of ETC Link, but that still wouldn't work. Net1-which is what the Express speaks-does not have the DMX over Ethernet capability that we are used to nowadays.

Again, pictures would help us. Pictures of the booth and pics of the Macs if you can.

-Tim

Err, not on any ETC console I've ever seen.
3668d1285198414-etclink-rear2x.jpg

See also RFU in our and ETC's wiki.

This sounds likes a situation that you have been dropped into a situation that is all too common in education. Gear is installed, people who know how to use the gear leaves, gear stops working due to lack of maintenance and whatever else, people change jobs again.... the cycle repeats.

I think what really needs to happen here is just some hard core training and maintenance. See if that company that did the install could not come out for an afternoon to re-train you and your students on the gear. They should do it for free just to keep you happy and keep your future business. If they don't, we have many members in the Boston area that could help you for free or a small fee. A solid afternoon of troubleshooting and training will go a long way for you.

Good Luck!

Sorry for the confusion of the last post. that was what was sent to me about the system. There are only 48 dimmers analog dimmers in the system. It is set up as a one scene board, all 96 Channels are controllable separately.

I took some photos on my Iphone of the board.

I am hoping once I can sort out the system I will be able to put a three to five year strategic plan in place to allow for a total overhaul and integration of the system.

There are two MAC 500 neither work well if at all. They have power but do not respond to the patching that was left in the board. I have addressed them to what i could find for them and am still not really getting anywhere with it.

Thank you all again for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back