ETC SourceFour Revolution

Digi, what console were you using with iCues. I've considered them, primarily due to budget reasons. I figured it would be nice to have for small weekly events (band concerts, seminars, etc) in the auditorium to cut down on the focusing to save time. And I'd also be nice to add some motion effects/capabilities to my all convential system. We have two consoles: Express 72/144 and Express 125/250, I realize these consoles aren't the greatest for running intels or moving dmx apps. I've heard it's a little trickier when it comes to programming.

I used an Express 48/96. Yeah it's a hybrid console but you got to play around with it a bit to achive what you want. It only takes up four channels on the console so it's not to bad. For a little over $500, it's not a bad item to have around the theater. I think it's louder then some other moving "fixtures", but it's not like a car. :) .

You also have the Ellipscan for a little over $300. I have never used it but it's practicly the same thing.

From what I read its better because it has DMX throught wo one dsont have to run a bunch of DMX lines. I didnt catch that in the I cue info but I probley went unstated.

digitaltec said:
I used an Express 48/96. Yeah it's a hybrid console but you got to play around with it a bit to achive what you want. It only takes up four channels on the console so it's not to bad. For a little over $500, it's not a bad item to have around the theater. I think it's louder then some other moving "fixtures", but it's not like a car. :) .

You also have the Ellipscan for a little over $300. I have never used it but it's practicly the same thing.

Judging by the 200-300 dollar price difference, I guess the iCue must be a much nicer product. Do you know the difference between the two and possibly why they're so expensive.

Hope this reply gets through... third attempt

I spent a bit of time with the Revo at ETC End User Training so here's some facts:

1) It's NOT designed to compete with Mac 2000's, Studio Spots etc... but more like the Varilite VL1000 and City Theatrical moving yoke systems.

2) It comes standard with the 24 color scroller - with 16 colors provided as well as a variable frost on the front lens assembly that can be user configured. You then add any of the plug and play modules - Iris, static gobo with 3 slots plus open, rotating gobo - same quantity of slots and a shutter assemby -- that ships this Sept..

3) The prices I recall were around $4000 US list, with the iris and static gobo mod's at $500, and the rotate and shutter mod's at $700 - all list. The gobo's are M size - same as used in the S4 Jr.

4) It is designed to be quiet. It moves slower then a typical R&R moving head so as to be quiet. It uses a very nice 77 volt lamp that is the same lamp world wide. The lamp quick change is very easy to deal with - though it does get hot. The reflector aligns, not the lamp.

5) It's big for a reason, mostly to allow easy access to parts that might need service - namely internal motors and belts, but also to help with cooling.

6) Being that the modules are a snap to change, a bad module can be swapped easily. Ditto the color scroller, which they built bigger then neccessary to allow other companies to develop their own add on - CXI was one mentioned.

6) It has no LCD/LED screen for configuration, mostly as there's no configuring other then DMX address, which is handled via 3 dials.

7) My impression was that a LOT of thought went into making it easily servicable as well as reliable.

SB

Great, thanks for that post. Its nice to here from someone who has been with the fixture and had a chance to see it.

If I had the 4 grand for it, I would buy one, however I don't have 4 grand.

I'm not much of a lighting guy, but how does the rev compare to other fixtures in it's price range. I'm sure the other fixtures in it's price range have a lot of fancy features and gadgets, but what about quality. That's one thing that seems really appealing to me, it sure looks like a quality product. It's easily repairable, and designed to be reliable. And it doesn't it help that it's made by ETC, c'mon don't lie you know that makes it more appealing (even slightly) haha. As with everything else in the world, there is a reason for everything. So, there is a reason for the 4.5 grand price tag. Years later, we'll know if this thing can withtake professional abuse. We'll also know if similarly priced fixtures will take the pro abuse. Then again, just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's nice. ETC generally doesn't like any crap leave the drawing boards. And there products have always been quite good, but a bit pricier. You get what you pay for. I have a feeling that the s4 rev will be a good long term investment for the most part, and we'll see more of these around.

I too saw the S4 Rev in Little shop, great light. it looks just like a real S4 and it did what it neded to do everywhere. I also believe that they used somethign similar to the Wybroms Autopilot just because of some of the moving that was done, it just seemed too perfect to be cued to time moving.

To those who say it is expensive and not worth it. I disagree this light hit 20-30 different areas on stage that is 20-30 S4's do the math. Buy them used at $205 each ranges from $4,100- $6.150. Now there are many problems with the I Cue, It is not a very convenient light, it is a pain to work with because bouncing off a mirror limits the directions the light can carry. Not to mention, i have seen it be very sloppy looking.

You may need 10 S4's eachrunning an I-Cue to pull this off. Saying $205 for the S4 and call it $500 for the I Cue you are tallking $7,050. THe cheapest solution is to use 2-3 S4 Revs.

well if you already have source fours in your inventory then you woudnt need to buy new ones to go with the I-Cue................

How much does a source 4 rev. cost? Unless it is alot cheaper than other moving head fixtures, why would you go with it?

Thanks!

Wow! Thanks for all the info! (...and discussion.) It's good to know that the S4rev doesn't come with all the bells and whistles attatched. That's what I HATE about concert intelligent lighting. I prefer a modular aproach that lets ME choose what the fixture should do. As for size, I'd rather it be a tank than a Geo, if you catch my drift. Too many intels these days are cheap and fragile. Don't get me wrong, I'd NEVER turn down a MAC. It's just that I know if ETC makes it, it's high quality. (Even if it is more pricey than say, oooh, American DJ.)

Thanks for all of this info. It's helped a lot.

An update from the Osram Sept 04' Photo Optic news letter:

If anyone has this fixture, Osram just came out with their licenced version of the lamp. Don't know if it's cheaper or more efficient than the Ushio version - not much details out about either lamp at this point but at least there is a second brand of QXL 750/77 to choose from.

QXLTM 750/77 Quick eXchange Lamp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OSRAM expands its HPL* halogen line with the introduction of the QXL 750/77 "Quick eXchange Lamp". Designed and patented by Electronic Theatre Controls, Inc., the QXL lamp is used and approved in the moving head spotlight Source Four® RevolutionTM , an automated ellipsoidal lighting fixture with primary application in theater and studio effect lighting.

The clever base design of the QXL lamp allows quick and easy lamp replacement without having to open the fixture. Simply a ¼ twist in and a ¼ twist out - no tools or realignment required. The QXL lamp is a high performance halogen lamp with an ultra compact four filament design. This innovation offers extremely high efficacy and increased lumen output for more punch and greater uniformity.

The built-in universal voltage transformer in the Source Four Revolution allows for the fixture to be used worldwide with the same innovative low voltage (77V) lamp design.

For further information, please read the Product Information Bulletin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QXL is a trademark of Electronics Theatre Controls, Inc., and used under license.
*HPL series of lamps licensed by ENTERTEC, Inc, CA.
Source Four is a registered trademark of Electronic Theatre Controls, Inc.
Revolution is a trademark of Electronic Theatre Controls, Inc.

You may go to www.SYLVANIA.com or log on to www.mySYLVANIA.com to browse through our electronic product catalog for more detailed information on OSRAM SYLVANIA products and services. mySYLVANIA is the industry's leading business-to-business lighting community and workplace offering our customers access to product information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. If you have any questions please contact us at OSRAMPhoto-Optic.

Subscribe and Unsubscribe
If you are receiving this in error, or if you wish to be removed from the mailing list, please reply
to this e-mail with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject field.

OSRAM SYLVANIA 100 Endicott Street Danvers MA 01923

S4rev price

I'm holding a quote for the Source 4 Revolution at $2,920 w/12 color string. Iris module @ $396. Rotating gobo mod @ $594.50. These quotes were from my regular vendor back in July.

I've had another dealer tell me the S4rev "has some issues" ETC has been quietly trying to resolve on already shipped units.

I saw these last year at LDI (Orlando). No, they don't do everything the popular itels do. Compared to an HES Studiospot at >$9,000, the S4rev price is a lot less. Still, it would have been nice if they had used CMY instead of scrolls for color.

All vendors have issues with their fixtures at times, I would not have this much for a major factor. In a incandescent/halogen moving light, I might compare it to a VeriLite VL1000 series fixture, but after that since it's a halogen verses metal hallide arc source, there should not be much similarity in other than features. Didn't ETC just buy out VeriLite? Don't remember for sure but if this is the case one might expect that ETC's break into the moving light market will have it's problems quickly solved by experts. ETC has a good repretation even if we don't own any of their moving lights but do on the VL-1000 series.

Studio Spots are nice fixtures and quiet ones. Different lamp however thus different type of beam in output and color temperature. Dimming the Studio Spot might be a challenge given that's a intent. Much less 208v power might not always be available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back