Express 48/96

Where do I find those kind of gels? Oh frames at least
According to the Far Cyc spec sheet, you need
AFCCF-000 Color Frame - Far Cyc. One required per cell.
You might already have them, look around.

Note that this works best with 3-cell units. Of course, you can do this with a conventional board also, it just makes color selection more trial-and-error.

One comment on sliders vs. keypad... on the Strand Palette boards, you can select a bunch of channels (or a predefined group) using the keypad, then use the wheel to set/tweak the level. I presume the ETC boards work the same way.

-Fred

Last edited:
One comment on sliders vs. keypad... on the Strand Palette boards, you can select a bunch of channels (or a predefined group) using the keypad, then use the wheel to set/tweak the level. I presume the ETC boards work the same way.
-Fred

No wheel, but you can just do [CHANNEL] [1] [THRU] [9] [AT] [57], for example. Or [GROUP] [1] [THRU] [9] [AT] [57], alternatively. Same idea.

No wheel, but you can just do [CHANNEL] [1] [THRU] [9] [AT] [57], for example. Or [GROUP] [1] [THRU] [9] [AT] [57], alternatively. Same idea.

Actually, both the Express and the Eos/Ion/Element series do have some form of a wheel - the Eos/Ion/Element uses a level wheel, while the Express uses a trackpad with coarse/fine adjustment. Works the same way as fredthe described, you just select a range of channels and then move the wheel/trackpad and you'll instantly have control over the intensity level. I find that I don't use it very often, but it is very helpful when you need to keep your eyes on the stage while making fine adjustments to levels.

There is a wheel on the newer ETC's. Well, At least the Eos family does. I'm not sure about the Congos or Smartfades. I love the wheel on my Element. I use it whenever I don't have in mind what level I may want. Or, if I do have an approximate idea, I can set it with the keypad and tweak it with the wheel. I almost never use the faders.

I hate the trackpad, they always have a gummy feel to them. That and I've had to grind my finger on every one I've used to get it to work.

Wheels ftw.

For the ultimate in tactile control, put a touchscreen on a Palette... just touch to select/deselect channels, and roll the wheel to set levels. Much better than trying to grab a bunch of handles :)

On a more serious note, I'd like to respectfully disagree with Footer. It's true that a used Express can offer an excellent value, and for something like a community theater it might be ideal.

However, here we are talking about an educational environment. I'm a firm believer in providing students with up-to-date technology whenever it's possible. Now, budget constraints may certainly play a large role in what can be done, but it think it's much better to start out asking for something current (at around $4k for Element/Basic Palette) and then understand what is being lost by going to a lower-cost (used) option.

Another consideration is that once a new board is purchased (even if it's a 10 year old used board) the school isn't going to want to replace it for at least another 10 years. I really wouldn't want to imagine students still using an Express in 2020 (Though all indications are that ETC will still be supporting it.)

-Fred

However, here we are talking about an educational environment. I'm a firm believer in providing students with up-to-date technology whenever it's possible. Now, budget constraints may certainly play a large role in what can be done, but it think it's much better to start out asking for something current (at around $4k for Element/Basic Palette) and then understand what is being lost by going to a lower-cost (used) option.

Another consideration is that once a new board is purchased (even if it's a 10 year old used board) the school isn't going to want to replace it for at least another 10 years. I really wouldn't want to imagine students still using an Express in 2020 (Though all indications are that ETC will still be supporting it.)

-Fred

Yes, but its a secondary education environment. Its not the end of any students educational career. Having taught in this type of setting, it does not matter what technology you have. All that matters is that the students get to experience the equipment and get to have fun doing theatre. Its not about having the newest and best gear. In college, an argument can be made for having the newest gear, but the same argument can be made for also having the old stuff.

If they can get a 4-5k for a current console, great, go for it. However, putting in a 5,000 dollar console to control 8 fresnels and 8 ERS fixtures might be a bit of an overstep. If you can only get 5k to do an upgrade, you might be better off diversifying your money a bit.

There is nothing a newer console can do that an express can not do with a conventional rig. Programming might be a bit easier but to the audience there is not going to be any difference.

Here is the OP's inventory....

How many dimmers do you have in your theater?
48, We have the ColorTran I-48. Medium size in the I series.

#3 You mention some DJ lights
Yeah it was just suggestion, maybe not moving head DJ lights, but maybe some color par cans to substitute our poor color bars? I brought one I have to the school and its a lot better than our color bars. Then again, I could just get a LED color bar xD

#4 What is your fixture inventory like?
Pretty poor, We do need some new lights.
All of our lights are halogen, besides house obviusly.
11 rows of house lights, including proscenium.
2 Far Cyc lights for complete wash of the stage. (Above stage)
8 theatre fresnals for specific places on the stage. (Above Stage)
16 Zoom Ellipse spotlights. In the house for spotlights.
2 Color bars. Cant find the real name of them. Also doesnt say on the fixture.

Yes, but its a secondary education environment. Its not the end of any students educational career. Having taught in this type of setting, it does not matter what technology you have. All that matters is that the students get to experience the equipment and get to have fun doing theatre. Its not about having the newest and best gear. In college, an argument can be made for having the newest gear, but the same argument can be made for also having the old stuff.
I do understand where you're coming from, I also work with HS students (though in an advisory/support role, not as an official instructor.) While not the end of their education, it may be the start (at least for technical theater) for many. I'd like to do as much as possible to spark their interest and creativity, and I've seen how that can be stifled by having to work with obsolete technology.

If they can get a 4-5k for a current console, great, go for it. However, putting in a 5,000 dollar console to control 8 fresnels and 8 ERS fixtures might be a bit of an overstep. If you can only get 5k to do an upgrade, you might be better off diversifying your money a bit.
This is a good point. Looking at MilburyAuditorium's equipment list, I wonder how he (she?) gets to needing 72 channels of control capacity. If it's really only 24 fixtures, plus a couple of strip and cyc lights, they don't need that many channels. Of course, at that size, maybe a Smartfade is more appropriate.

There is nothing a newer console can do that an express can not do with a conventional rig. Programming might be a bit easier but to the audience there is not going to be any difference.
I agree, but I'm concerned about the underlying assumption that the rig will still be conventional 10 years from now.

Put another way, if they had a good working board (like an Express) I'd certainly be recommending they keep using it. It's when they start talking about buying one now that I get concerned.

-Fred

Well I don't think it's for us to decide whether they need x amount of channels or submasters etc...

I can understand your situation. I run a community theater which doubles as a school theater so the use of faders by our students is quite common. It just makes it a whole lot easier to run shows and events without reinventing the wheel several times a day...

Have you checked out the Strand Preset Palette II? It comes in 2 configurations one of which is 48/96 channels...

You want faders? Colortran Innovator 72/144, it's 5 feet wide with all the handles you ever wanted.

But seriously, I think that a Smartfade would be a great option for you, specifically the ML if you see movers in your future. The Express would also (I assume) work fairly well with I-cues, scrollers, and other intelligent devices. An Element is definitely overkill for 72 channels. If you are looking for a board with moving light controls, I'd stay away from the Innovator 600. From two years of working with one, I've had enough trouble with it controlling a conventional rig to justify said recommendation.

If you want a lot of faders and the possibility to do much more... Smartfade 24/96 offers you two rows of 24 faders, all can be used as channel faders or memories/subs, with a touch of a button you can switch from 1-48 to 48-96, giving you direct control over 48 channels and almost direct control of 96 channels. In addition you have 2 independents for controlling on/off devices (a hazer...).
The Smartfade has also a multifunction wheel, you can use it to give commands like set level 1 tru 23 at 45 just scrolling the wheel.

Other consoles with the same capabilities, but probably more in the rpice range of an ETC Element:
If you want a 96 channel fader controldesk: the ADB-TTV Domino XT/96 gives you control of 96 conventional channels, and 128 movers. 48 faders configurable as channels, submasters or playbacks on the Domino/XT 96
techref.info: ADB Products - Domino/XT systems

Similar: MA Lightcommander II 48/6
[url=http://www.malighting.com/

Last edited:
The 48/96 is how I started five years ago. It's by far my favorite board for conventional fixtures, however please be aware it's only good for conventional fixtures. I've hooked up 6 channel LED lights to it before and it's really a hassle. I highly recommend the ETC 48/96 but just keep in mind that there's no room for expansion to intelligent lighting fixtures so you would have to get a new board. What I did for my high school years ago while I was using the 48/96 was purchase Martin Light Jockey II to run our new string of MAC 250 Entours.

If you're using individual channel faders to light, you're doing it wrong.
If you think you don't need submasters for conventional lights, you're doing it wrong. (Unless you're using groups, in which case, carry on)
If you think all shows should be busked, and not cued, you're doing it wrong.

So... the GrandMA, Chamsys Magic Q, Hog II, and HogIII are all doing it wrong?

I think what he's getting at is that you should always use submasters or groups. If you aren't using them, start.

I like having dimmers readily accessable. I use other peoples equipment and theatres all the time and it's nice to be able to search through dimmers to see what is there before you start a project. Many times our tech time is quite limited so setting looks or cues on actual dimmers, then assigning them to a sub or a cue is faster. Of course I'm old and came through two scene preset boards so I tend to think that way. Maybe for younger guys that are used to not having dimmers it works.
I have trouble running a Lycian spot for the same reason. Thirty-four years of running Supers makes for musle memory that makes me struggle with a newer style spot. My son on the other hand is an expert on them. It's what he ran in Europe for Feld.

I think what he's getting at is that you should always use submasters or groups. If you aren't using them, start.

Folks, telling someone to stop doing what they are comfortable doing currently, instead insisting that the OP:

"If you're using individual channel faders to light, you're doing it wrong."
"If you think you don't need submasters for conventional lights, you're doing it wrong. (Unless you're using groups, in which case, carry on)"
"If you think all shows should be busked, and not cued, you're doing it wrong. "
(was this possibly sarcasm ?)

Or:

to "always use submasters or groups",

Is pretty dogmatic and as a rule should be avoided to be considered useful advise.

I've been in the business 34 years, 28 as the LD at the same house and I use manual channels. Sometimes 50-60 (remember as well that Avo stills sells the Diamond with 90 channel faders in 2 scene ! for good reason). I also use subs a lot, and groups - but be aware that on the latest ETC consoles Eos/Ion/Element, Groups ain't the same as on Express/ion, so beware the Express/ion use of the term.

I run my shows the way I know works. So does the OP. Don't think for a minute you can tell us we're wrong, when we KNOW our method works in our situation, which isn't your situation.

If the OP can take into consideration other styles of operating the console, then good for him. But if he wants 65 manual channel faders, then lets give him USEFUL advice as to what might work.

Rant over.

Steve B.

I think some of you are forgetting the easiest, most reliable, original group: a pencil laid across 4 or 5 faders. ;)

I think some of you are forgetting the easiest, most reliable, original group: a pencil laid across 4 or 5 faders. ;)

Na, play with a pin matrix patch. Now thats fun....

Or you would get pieces of poster board and notch it to set levels...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back