Microphones Fake Shure

Edrick

Premium Member
I've seen some sellers on eBay warm of "fake" sellers selling shure mics made in china.

Is this true are any of their products made in china? How do you spot a fake?

Last edited:
Oh dear me, I meant Shure. I was searching for a Whirlwind snake while typing this. Could a gracious moderator change the topic to say Shure

Drop it from a balcony or tall ladder and see if it still works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh dear me, I meant Shure. I was searching for a Whirlwind snake while typing this. Could a gracious moderator change the topic to say Shure
It's really hard to tell. I mean almost impossible before you buy. The good news is if you pay via paypal you are fully covered, but just gotta ask yourself is it worht the time?

If it doesn't have a serial number it's not valid. If you call shure and they say it's not a real SN it's a fake mic.

Here's a video, skip ahead to ~1:40 Fake Shure Beta 58a versus a Real Shure Beta 58a - YouTube

This one is good too, better fake as well Fake Shure SM57 - YouTube

I wonder of the fakes are usually from oversea sellers or if locals are doing it too. Usually I buy from B&H but I'm just curious how to spot fakes in general.

Usually I buy from B&H

Well, there's your problem. Buying from B&H really hurts local shops, makes it hard for them to compete. I'm not saying local shops would buy fakes, quite the opposite. B&H is so aggressive on pricing that it wouldn't surprise me if they saw pricing for fake Shure and try to match that without realizing what they were doing. Just recently, the price on Nikon brand filters on B&H dropped dramatically, turns out there have recently been a rash of fakes from China. B&H was so aggressive they matched the price, and I had someone come into my shop demanding that I match B&H, which was almost a $100 delta in price. (I told him no, then when he started yelling, we almost had to physically throw him out of the store. (True Story) So, B&H can really screw with a market, so just be aware of the effect and pressure they put on local dealers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, there's your problem. Buying from B&H really hurts local shops, makes it hard for them to compete. I'm not saying local shops would buy fakes, quite the opposite. B&H is so aggressive on pricing that it wouldn't surprise me if they saw pricing for fake Shure and try to match that without realizing what they were doing. Just recently, the price on Nikon brand filters on B&H dropped dramatically, turns out there have recently been a rash of fakes from China. B&H was so aggressive they matched the price, and I had someone come into my shop demanding that I match B&H, which was almost a $100 delta in price. (I told him no, then when he started yelling, we almost had to physically throw him out of the store. (True Story) So, B&H can really screw with a market, so just be aware of the effect and pressure they put on local dealers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The other side of this is there are many local 'superstores' for example we buy from FullCompass here, they're based in my state, and have competitive pricing, but actually have what I need in stock. Sure, Gaf tape, gels, basic mics, those sort of things you can get local no problem, but very few local stores can afford to keep high quality gear in stock (in my experience) or if they do there's a huge markup on it
I see you are a owner, so I'm not trying tos ay anything against that, just that in my experience the most sucessful local model is one of service with sales as an additional support system, or coupled with instrument sales, or something people NEED to try before they buy. Remember B and H started local in downtown NYC, and are still in fact based there.

Well said, tk2k. As a small business owner myself I am always willing to help the local guy. But I found out long ago that exactly what you said has plagued the "mom and pop" stores. I hate more than anything the phrase, "We can order it for you." Yeah, so can I... I used to manage a small music store so I know what it's like on both sides of the business, but I always tried to keep an inventory of obscure things. Those are the items you need last minute and want to walk into a local store to pick up on the way to the gig. I've found even Guitar Center rarely has what I need. I have resorted to buying almost everything online now. If no one will keep a decent inventory then I have no reason to shop there. It's not even the price. I'll pay double, even triple, for some things if I can walk in and buy it. I buy my electrical connectors from Home Depot for three times the price because I can drive a mile down the road, pick up what I need, and be making AC cables within 20 minutes. Why can't I buy 100 Neutrik connectors from a local store?

I'm sorry, the "WalMart argument" is just not valid. We have done it to ourselves. And please don't get into the economic reasons why you can't keep a huge inventory. I understand, but as a consumer I don't care.

Oops, didn't mean to turn into a rant... Oh and, tk2k is right, B&H is a "local" store to me, whether they have a web site or not. I'm sorry that you don't care for their business practices, but it's capitalism. You have just as much right being angry at them as that customer had for being angry at you. I get price cut all the time, either for sales or services. It's part of business. You either compete or decide not to...

The other side of this is there are many local 'superstores' for example we buy from FullCompass here, they're based in my state, and have competitive pricing, but actually have what I need in stock. Sure, Gaf tape, gels, basic mics, those sort of things you can get local no problem, but very few local stores can afford to keep high quality gear in stock (in my experience) or if they do there's a huge markup on it
I see you are a owner, so I'm not trying tos ay anything against that, just that in my experience the most sucessful local model is one of service with sales as an additional support system, or coupled with instrument sales, or something people NEED to try before they buy. Remember B and H started local in downtown NYC, and are still in fact based there.

I'm now quite curious about my inventory of MIC's All the 57's and 58's I've purchased have been through Sweetwater/Fullcompass/or B&H. and the one video about the SM57 my SM57 match up pretty close. That said my box did have a serial Number, but the bags that came with are the smooth pleather type. Along withe the lable band around the head being a sticker. So I dunno. these microphones are a staple of audio guys everywhere could some of these minor differences just be representative of the new cost to manufacture and slight updates and changes over time?

When I was in high school they got all Shure mics im pretty sure the bags were pleather. They were purchased for the brand new school through the contractors. I'm curious as to what official ways there are to tell a fake from a real one.

I'll have to check what local stores we have here but as far as I know they all have to order them to get them in.

If anyone from CB is a dealer and has the kit, microphone, stand, 25' whirlwind XLR cable, windblock PM me with pricing.

I'd like to purchase three to start.

Preferably the Whirlwind with the black ends not the silver screw down type I've seen some ebay people selling. Looking for the stand that has the arm and trileg stand.

Last edited:
SM57 suppose I should of mentioned that

Well, there's your problem. Buying from B&H really hurts local shops, makes it hard for them to compete.

I live in a small suburb on NYC and shop locally whenever possible. As a homeowner I frequent my local hardware store almost every weekend and ALWAYS give them first crack at getting an item I need, even if it means waiting a week or more and paying as bit more. They know I will and they know if they cannot get it for me I'm off to the nearest Home Depot.

B&H competes in the same market as any other store when it comes to price and availability and we also have our share of customers asking us to match too-good-to-be-true offers. We've been in business long enough to know when to match a price and when to decline and we're as aware of the market for fakes and counterfeits as anyone else. I appreciate the market pressures brought to local shops, but I think painting us as the devil in all this oversimplifies a more complicated situation. BTW, we are authorized Shure retailers and don't buy Shure products from anyone other than our authorized vendor or Shure itself.

Remember B and H started local in downtown NYC, and are still in fact based there.
Indeed we did but are now based in mid-town. A small distinction to some, but to a Nu Yaweker . . . :)

Last edited:
Gaff's rules for dealer selection:

1) Always do your best to buy from the person who is going to do your repairs. If you don't keep them in business with your purchase they might not survive. Consider the few added percentage points in price insurance that your local dealer will be there to fix your gear later. Can you call a big national dealer or a faceless website on a Saturday afternoon and get them to fix your console before show time that night?

2) If you aren't going to buy from your local repair guy, at least buy from someone with a regular sales person who you can establish a relationship with over time. I have my regular sales guy at Barbizon and I buying a lot of stuff from BillESC. While both of them are over a thousand miles away, I have a relationship with them. They know my name. They know what gear I have purchased from them. I get great advice on product selection, great service, and competitive pricing. If there's something wrong with my order, I don't have to deal with a faceless website's return policy. I call up and say, "Hi this is Gaff, there is something wrong with the widget I just purchased" and I'll get a new one shipped in immediately. Long term relationships are the key to great service and competitive pricing.

3) Don't buy new stuff on E-bay! While yes there is some variation in wholesale pricing, there isn't THAT much variation in wholesale pricing. Take an SM58 for example. There's a reason that every dealer out there sells them for about $99. The cost to every dealer regardless of size is in the mid 90's, there is very little profit margin on a 58. If the dealer doesn't sell them for $99 they don't make any money. The only way you are getting a killer deal on a new Shure mic from Ebay is if it's actually a "Shur" mic. If Full Compass, Sweetwater, and B&H all sell them for $99 how is some random little guy on E-bay able to sell them for $20 less? They are fake.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back