Fixture Upgrade/Replacement

msawyer52

Upgrading a HS theater lighting system. Upgrading from Source Four w/750XL long life lamps. Looking at the 4WRD Color or 4WRD White to upgrade the current fixtures. Also adding some ColorSource Spot to the inventory. Any comments, comparisons and or recommendations appreciated. Thanks

If you got the money to put in the best then do it.

Talk to your local dealers, and get some demos! I happen to have a series 3 on hand right now, but that seems to be a bit bigger than you're looking for.
Have talked to Randy at your company, might need the demo to see for ourselves. Just trying to get more opinions here.

Upgrading a HS theater lighting system. Upgrading from Source Four w/750XL long life lamps. Looking at the 4WRD Color or 4WRD White to upgrade the current fixtures. Also adding some ColorSource Spot to the inventory. Any comments, comparisons and or recommendations appreciated. Thanks
My space was refitted with all new architectural controls, dimmers, relays, fixtures, etc... moved to "state of the art..." My Source 4s were replaced/retrofited/augmented with new kit: a lot more Source4WRDs (series 2, white) than I need, plus a gazillion ColorSource Spots (both regular and Deep Blues, some as whole fixtures, some as color engines and barrels, reusing lenses).... I really am happy with everything, but haven't actually done a show with all of it yet.

I would recommend that you use DMX (RJ45) control on the Source4WRDs... initially they tried just using line voltage from dimmers, but they cut out/pop on at the low end - that went away when I DMX'd the fixtures.

Thanks, looking at doing about the same, just don't have the budget for a gazillion! Have you used any of the source4wrd color units? Haven't found much except that the white is no a good rendition.

Thanks, looking at doing about the same, just don't have the budget for a gazillion! Have you used any of the source4wrd color units? Haven't found much except that the white is no a good rendition.
The color Source4WRDs hadn't come out when our project went to bid... I would imagine (at that design/price point) the output wouldn't be very favorable on faces, but definitely has a place in this world - splashy color, and definitely in architectural lighting.

My space was refitted with all new architectural controls, dimmers, relays, fixtures, etc... moved to "state of the art..." My Source 4s were replaced/retrofited/augmented with new kit: a lot more Source4WRDs (series 2, white) than I need, plus a gazillion ColorSource Spots (both regular and Deep Blues, some as whole fixtures, some as color engines and barrels, reusing lenses).... I really am happy with everything, but haven't actually done a show with all of it yet.

I would recommend that you use DMX (RJ45) control on the Source4WRDs... initially they tried just using line voltage from dimmers, but they cut out/pop on at the low end - that went away when I DMX'd the fixtures.
Have you done a show with the Source4wrd's yet? I am looking to replace the 575 watt lamps with those and am trying to get a demo.

Just had everything installed this week. Next up is Beauty and the beast end of March. Hoping this goes well with a new facility manager. I won't be working on the show.

I'd be interested to hear about the Color Source 4wrds. I didn't even realize there were color models!
I've installed some of the 4wrd IIs and I love them. Slightly pink, like how some warm fluorescents look, but I think they're very flattering, natural looking and dead quiet.
I was reading the colors were much dimmer, but I'd be interested in how to feel. Like is blue bright enough compared to a white 4wrd with R80 in it?

We had a demo of the Source 4wrds color. Terrible white rendering. That unit could only be used for color mixing. The regular Source 4wrd as you said has a slight pink hue but 100% better that the color unit.

Probably similar to the hpl575 lamp but the color saturation was not as good as the new color source fixtures we installed.

The big limitation with the S4WRD Color is that it's just RGBA, and it's an equal number of emitters for each color due to the limitations of the physical layout. Since red LEDs put out less light, that part of the spectrum is pretty weak compared to the other colors. ColorSource fixtures balance that out by using two red emitters for each of the other colors, so there's a better overall mix. You also get lime instead of amber for some additional spectral advantage.

It's kind of amazing that they were able to do any level of color mixing in that form-factor, so not surprising that there are some compromises.

You don't mention the current desk or whether you're replacing it; many older desks aren't up to the complexity of running full-color fixtures; we, for example, just replaced our Express with our hand-me-down Ion 3K so we could practically run them in our blackbox.

(Our mainstage got a new Xe -- has anyone figured out how to dim the LEDs on the wing yet? :))

You don't mention the current desk or whether you're replacing it; many older desks aren't up to the complexity of running full-color fixtures; we, for example, just replaced our Express with our hand-me-down Ion 3K so we could practically run them in our blackbox.

(Our mainstage got a new Xe -- has anyone figured out how to dim the LEDs on the wing yet? :))
We're running an original element console.

+1 to everyone's prior comments, and I'll add this: The Source 4Wrds require you to do a little bit of change-up to the fixture (replacing the cap, inserting a diffuser; replacing dimmers with relays and stagepin with Edison/Cat5). This means that you're not expanding your inventory, you're just shifting it from one kind of fixture to another. You really want to expand and augment your capacity, not parallel shift.

+1 to everyone's prior comments, and I'll add this: The Source 4Wrds require you to do a little bit of change-up to the fixture (replacing the cap, inserting a diffuser; replacing dimmers with relays and stagepin with Edison/Cat5). This means that you're not expanding your inventory, you're just shifting it from one kind of fixture to another. You really want to expand and augment your capacity, not parallel shift.

The 4Wrd can operate fine on a Sensor dimmer, as BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back