Footlights and Curtain Warmers

carsonld

So I recently just saw the touring version of White Christmas, to say the least it was amazing. One thing that I found cool was that they used their footlights (3-4 Altman Borderlights?) to light the show scrim and also light a sparkly snow backdrop that was right behind the show scrim. So I was wanting to do something similar but just for our curtain. So I wanted to invest in just some cheap color changing fixtures that could throw some light up on the curain with some gobos. I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with these two products: Chauvet COLORstrip DMX LED Linear Wash Light or Chauvet Core 3X1 LED Wash or Chauvet COLORpalette. Are opening is 20x50. Which would work best for this? I am really leaning towards the Core 3x1 LED Wash because it seems like it would give a good wash on the stage.

If for curtain warmers, you want to make certain that the instrument you choose is capable of producing colors that will "play nicely" with your curtain. Depending on the color of your curtain, you may find that many colors work (in which case color mixing is an interesting thing you'll be able to play with), but it's more likely that only a few colors will play nicely without looking like something god-awful vomited itself onto your curtain. If the latter ends up being true, you'll find you've purchase color-changing LED instruments that get used for very little color-changing.

If for lighting people, a lot depends on your types of shows. Historically, foot lights have been incandescent or gaslit, which produced colors more friendly for lighting flesh than an RGB array of LED's will. If the effect you're going for is to fit into more classical theater, LED's will have a tendency to stick out like a sore thumb as they will not produce the incandescent color quality people would expect to see. If for dramatic theatrical effect where these are more likely to be used for saturated colors instead of white, then go for it. You'll get decent reds, greens, blues, and deepiy saturated colors inbetween.

For lighting scenery, curtains, and people, my personal favorite instrument for such an all-purpose application is the Martin Stagebar 54, which was excellent because it was an RGBAW instrument that was kinder to flesh tones. It also was low-profile enough to not be an eyesore sitting on the lip of a stage. Unfortunately, this has since been discontinued and Martin has left a void in their product line for RGBAW strips.

So I recently just saw the touring version of White Christmas, to say the least it was amazing. One thing that I found cool was that they used their footlights (3-4 Altman Borderlights?) to light the show scrim and also light a sparkly snow backdrop that was right behind the show scrim. So I was wanting to do something similar but just for our curtain. So I wanted to invest in just some cheap color changing fixtures that could throw some light up on the curain with some gobos. I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with these two products: Chauvet COLORstrip DMX LED Linear Wash Light or Chauvet Core 3X1 LED Wash or Chauvet COLORpalette. Are opening is 20x50. Which would work best for this? I am really leaning towards the Core 3x1 LED Wash because it seems like it would give a good wash on the stage.

My experience with Chauvet products is not the best. Ordered 5 colorrails and 5 motion facades from them a year ago. One colorrail has a whole block of LEDs that doesn't light up, one of the fixtures flickers intermittently, and one of the facade's controllers doesn't work with DMX. All the facade controllers were difficult to get working via DMX. All in all, I say stay away.

I'm looking into using some of Blizzard Lighting's stuff. It looks promising. If anyone has experience with their equipment, please let me know.

I don't have recent experience with Blizzard so take this with a grain of salt. It would be unfair to compare what I bought with their current crop of products. I suspect Blizzard faces similar challenges to Chauvet dealing with the quality control of their contract manufacturers. They are likely using the same factories. Those factories will provide whatever quality their customer is willing to pay for.

The set of early-model pucks I have were poorly assembled from low cost components. We had to run them all through a reflow oven to get them to work reliably. Blizzard would have likely replaced them but it wasn't worth the shipping costs to send them back and get a similar batch. The Pucks were a bargain fixture at a reasonable price and did the job they were intended to do. They are still a useful part of our inventory and I can replace them all for the price of a single Selador Desire D40.

@innovation88 I agree, I have looked at Blizzard lighting online but cant seem to find anywhere that sell them online so I can look at prices, That is why I chose Chuavet, so if you find a place that sells them please tell me!. Looks like they aren't that good... Thank you!

I think you'll be disappointed with the output of those fixtures, they aren't going to have the power you'll need. If those prices are maxing out your budget you would be better off with incandescent strip lights. Or you could gamble and buy lights straight from China. If you go that route be sure to buy extras since finding replacements will be next to impossible.

There are many Blizzard dealers out there, find one that answers you back, and is easy to talk to. Local is better IMO.

As for quality, I own a bunch of blizzard equipment. The quality so far is so-so. I see alot of unbranded chinese lights that look very similar to blizzard products, so these probably come from the same place. The fixture is cheap, but one thing they do (for me so far at least) is get you replacement fixtures if yours are bad, or honor their warranty. They at least 'support' their gear.

I have had weird issues with some. One product doesnt let me use 'white' (RGB on) as a strobe, or it locks up. And another product I have, the button labeled 'down' increments the digits, and vice versa. I kinda chuckled at the last one, the light is definitely usable, just hilarious to have a chinese fixture that cant read.

I once saw a Chinese moving head whose screen print instructed users to remove the lamp cap by "tuming the screws until the lamo is free".

One thing about LEDs as footlights/warmers: definitely go for RGBA color mixing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back