Front Lighting a Church Stage

I'm with Bill here, This looks not right..
Also, So you have conduit attached to the pipe, but the pipe is hanging from aircraft cable? That also doesn't seem quite right.

Even with your caveats. I think you should get a rigging company to come in and take a look.

Hmm, I'm not sure about the clamps. I was mainly involved in the electronic aspect. I know they seemed really beefy. 3/8" bolts on the clamp and a 3/8" eye threaded in with lock washers and nuts on both sides. I remember someone mentioning that they were rated for over 300lbs. If I remember right, total hang was <100lbs. I'll speak to the staff about having someone take a look.

On the conduit, from above the ceiling down is flex kind of like this: http://www.grainger.com/product/ELE...m/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/3FLF9_AS01?$smthumb$

Aside from the rigging concerns, would anyone care to comment on the actual lighting design? I'm really curious for thoughts from people with much more experience than me.

I think it looks good, design wise. Seems like you were able to get a pretty even wash. Good job keeping it off the projector screen. Any other pics showing effects/colors/combinations you're able to achieve?

Hmm, I'm not sure about the clamps. I was mainly involved in the electronic aspect. I know they seemed really beefy. 3/8" bolts on the clamp and a 3/8" eye threaded in with lock washers and nuts on both sides. I remember someone mentioning that they were rated for over 300lbs. If I remember right, total hang was <100lbs. I'll speak to the staff about having someone take a look.

On the conduit, from above the ceiling down is flex kind of like this: http://www.grainger.com/product/ELE...m/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/3FLF9_AS01?$smthumb$

Aside from the rigging concerns, would anyone care to comment on the actual lighting design? I'm really curious for thoughts from people with much more experience than me.

So two things to note. You have no idea how much weight this pipe can take, you have no idea if the structure supporting the pipe can handle the load.

You need to get a building inspection done and you need to get an entertainment rigger in there 3 point loads are a headache for a newbie to figure out

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

You did good. It was just the batten clamp that seems odd. Also seems more than 100 pounds. The pipe batten is probably near 60 and 14 units surely more than 3 pounds each. Most would say plan for 30 plf so 600 pounds or so, with a design factor of 8:1.

But seems like a big improvement. Time to start planning the next step forward!

Reactions: Les
I agree with the safety concerns, but the design looks good. I would clean up those cables, they are pretty bad. Overall though I like it a lot.

I agree with the safety concerns, but the design looks good. I would clean up those cables, they are pretty bad. Overall though I like it a lot.

Thanks! Funny thing is, I spent a lot of time trying to clean up the cabling. Any pointers to hide the cables better?

Use Velcro ties, always use Velcro ties. Also always bundle cables and run them on to the pipe, never between lights. On the dimmers bundle everything together and coil any extra cable behind the box, so it isn't visible from the pews.

Reactions: Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back