ghost light ????

I think you want to look for a pendant style, does not have the big box on the base.
juat noticed it is sold online only.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-1-Light-Gloss-with-Gray-Utility-Vapor-Tight-Pendant-VP150I-M12/205566502?cm_mmc=Shopping|Base&gclid=CKP18LHSpcMCFQdafgod2T8ANw&gclsrc=aw.ds

proxy.php

Last edited:
Yeah, one of the benefits of the in store one is that I can pretty much go there and assemble the fixture before I check out. I like the look of the pendant style one, but will it already be threaded to go on a pipe?

Yeah, one of the benefits of the in store one is that I can pretty much go there and assemble the fixture before I check out. I like the look of the pendant style one, but will it already be threaded to go on a pipe?

They usually are threaded for something like 1/2" NPT rigid conduit (or black iron screw pipe). YMMV, but that's the standard way they do things on the industrial fixtures.

Here's a similar (but more expensive) one on eBay - but the photos do show a threaded neck.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Stonco-...710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c80605c1e

I have an old Altman castered stand if you want to buy it.

Last edited:
Interesting that the inspector won't allow an extension cord. Perhaps its because he doesn't want it to come unplugged? You probably shouldn't mention to him that most theatre lighting instruments don't have 50' whips on them.

SOOW is without a doubt the way to go. The only way I could see SJOOW allowable in the application is if the code interpreted it as part of an "appliance assembly" as opposed to just being used as a portable, flexible cord. Even then, it is probably still required to be under 3', thus making the use of SJOOW moot.

Interesting that the inspector won't allow an extension cord. Perhaps its because he doesn't want it to come unplugged? You probably shouldn't mention to him that most theatre lighting instruments don't have 50' whips on them.

Yeah, they don't allow anything to be plugged into extension cords. I once set up stations in the shop during first hour for my third hour class. Some time around second hour they came by and unplugged all my saws.....

SOOW is without a doubt the way to go. The only way I could see SJOOW allowable in the application is if the code interpreted it as part of an "appliance assembly" as opposed to just being used as a portable, flexible cord. Even then, it is probably still required to be under 3', thus making the use of SJOOW moot.

That's what I thought, I was just hoping that it being part of an 'appliance assembly' would make it acceptable. That, and I'm certain that I am the only one in the building that knows SJOOW isn't allowed. Oh well, Go big or Go Home I guess!

No extension cords allowed, but no idea of what kind of cable is appropriate for stage use. Ahhh, gotta love the bureaucracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

And THIS is why I get confused on the topic. It seems like a common practice, that just happens to be against code. Now I hate to perpetuate the idea that inconvenient sections of the NEC can be ignored, but then again it will save me quite a bit of money...... I hate when my conscience and my wallet argue.
My conscience would loose the argument on this one. The ghost light is used when the venue is dark - you're not going to have it connected while the general public is in the venue (or even while it's being worked in). Is SJ cable appropriate for use in the scene shop?

Brought this topic to a different thread. Thought I should come back here to wrap it up.
From NEC section 520.68(A)(2):

(2) Stand Lamps. Listed, hard usage cord shall be permitted
to supply stand lamps where the cord is not subject to
physical damage and is protected by an overcurrent device
rated at not over 20 amperes.

Note that there is no length limit in this application of hard usage cord.

ST

"Extra hard usage cord" is S and it's variation. whereas "hard usage cord" is SJ and likewise it's variations.

So apparently, under the code, SJOOW is permissible.

So apparently my wallet and conscience can coexist peacefully once again.

Maybe I'm missing something ( and it probably has to do with the NEC requirements ), but would a $10 floor lamp sans-lampshade with a $5 LED retorfit lamp not be as functional as building your own out of conduit and plywod? Not to mention much less trouble ( and presumably safer than some DIY electrical work ).

Maybe I'm missing something ( and it probably has to do with the NEC requirements ), but would a $10 floor lamp sans-lampshade with a $5 LED retorfit lamp not be as functional as building your own out of conduit and plywod? Not to mention much less trouble ( and presumably safer than some DIY electrical work ).

Eh, I wouldn't go that route as the lamp would probably last about 10 minutes! One reason NOT to use what you ask, other than NEC code, is just plain durability. One spill and the upright bends, making it unusable, or the unprotected bulb breaks causing a hazard.

I know someone will find the specific code as to why its unacceptable, I just don't want to right now!:mrgreen:

I can't leave it plugged in to an extension cord, so if you can find me an off the shelf lamp with a 50' cord I will consider it.

Also, the whole point is to have a ghost light, not a living room lamp. What fun are you.:D

I can't think of any $10 floor lamp that wouldn't have a cord of 16/2 SPT-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I believe there is an NEC regulation against having uncaged/exposed lamps. Not sure if this carries over to portable assemblies. As said above, it would also be hard finding a lamp with any better than an 18 gauge 2-wire lead which would need to be fed via extension cord.

So here is what I ended up with.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Uses a 13W LED which puts out the equivalent of a 100W incandescent.

Total cost for supplies was $87 plus $20 for the LED. I already had the casters and wood for the base. Not quite happy with the base yet, but very pleased with the results.

One thing I was worried about was the glass globe getting too hot since it was meant to be mounted facing down. I left the thing running all weekend and the glass globe was warm, but I was able to place my hand on it and leave it there without any discomfort so I'm not worried anymore.

One thing I was worried about was the glass globe getting too hot since it was meant to be mounted facing down. I left the thing running all weekend and the glass globe was warm, but I was able to place my hand on it and leave it there without any discomfort so I'm not worried anymore.
If the globe was designed for incandescent 100W or greater and I was lamping with LED (or even CF) for equivilent brightness, I would have stopped worrying about any sort of temperature problem before I started. The difference in the heat generated by the more efficent lamp far outweighs the difference in the heat distribution based on orientation.

If the globe was designed for incandescent 100W or greater and I was lamping with LED (or even CF) for equivilent brightness, I would have stopped worrying about any sort of temperature problem before I started. The difference in the heat generated by the more efficent lamp far outweighs the difference in the heat distribution based on orientation.
Yeah, but I never stop worrying....... At least it makes me slightly more cautious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back