Going LED, need your help.

That is a pretty basic controller and there aren't any special requirements for programming. Read the manual and look of documentation of what has been done before.
Lehigh Manuals
Getting some remote buttons is probably a good idea. Note: I believe it only talks to the dimmer rack. Anything On by the station can not be turned off by the console.

In order to have buttons control the LED fixtures you will need a to replace the CPM306. Depending on the wiring/conduit in your space that could be easy and 'only a couple thousand' or very expensive. DFD.com Preset series is likely ideal, Interactive Technologies SceneStation has some wireless features that might be useful. Both products sit on the DMX line and put out DMX but go inactive when the console is on. No random lighting changes from the audience!! Both products also record looks from the console so they do all 512 addresses. But note it's only one universe.

Might be possible. You'd need to replace whichever circuits you want to use for the LED's with D22CB modules in the rack.

Sorry to resurrect this, but what is the difference between a non-dim module and a constant circuit breaker module?

I was speaking briefly on the phone with someone from Lehigh Dimming and although he has to get back to me, he was saying in order to go LED using our cables, we would use the dual non-dim module.

Non-dims are usually relays - dry contact - do you can turn it off at console, etc. Constant are just that - just a circuit breaker and always live as long as rack is.

It gets back to the discussion of removing power conveniently when the load is not in use.

So yesterday we got our LED fixtures and dmx cables! Today or tomorrow we should be receiving our new Element 40, 250. In the next couple of days our 2 dual 20A non-dim circuits will arrive so we can use our existing stage-pin cables to power the new fixtures. I have just 1 more question (for now, at least).

I'm planning on mounting 4 fixtures per stage-pin cable and each on 1 stand. Since we got a mixture of ETC Colorsource spots and Chauvet Ovation Ellipsodials, I was wondering if I could daisy chain them with power con cables.

The max per cable would be 2 ETC and 2 Chauvets. The ETC's allow up 10 units through power linking, and the Chauvets allow up to 4. Chauvets are 208 W, but I can't what the Colorsource Spot wattage is.

I'm also awaiting hearing from someone from Lehigh Dimming regarding rewiring. I understand I will have to change the onboard system control module because we will now have 2 non-dim circuits, but he was mentioning something about having to run new DMX wiring out of (I believe) rack-to-rack circuitry, rather than just having the DMX come from my controller, into an opto splitter with one line going to the dimmer cabinet and the other going off to the new fixtures. My best guess is this would be done so maybe our current architectural station can also control the LED fixtures, but honestly it never gets used and with the limited number of channels it can control, it would be pointless to do that.

Hi KB,
Since you say they draw 208watts, you're using either the Ovation E190, or the ED190 fixtures.
If you're using the Ovation E190s, you will have no problem with 2+2 Color Sources on a circuit.
Do make sure that it is an actual non-dim module, not a dimming circuit parked at full. The reason is (as others have said), dimmers deform the sine wave, even when they are parked on. These lights are basically computers with a bunch of LEDs in them. running on unclean power can freak the computers out, and/or fry the electronics.
If you're using the ED-190, then you can run them on Dimmers directly (with or without DMX), but your ETC units will still need a constant power source.

All the best with your new rig!!
-Ford

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using E-190's. I figured since the colorsource shouldn't be on dimmers, might as well make them all the same.
The rep told me to get these 2 circuits and the description says dual non-dim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back