Good CD player?

BrianF

Hey guys,
So I work for a school district that has pretty much one usable theater/auditorium, So we have a lot of different events going on (Speakers, Concerts, in school events, and theater mostly) We've just upgraded a lot of our sound system this summer, including a new digital board and now we're looking into replacing our CD player with something better. (I.E. something that actually plays when you hit Play). But we also wanted something that can handle USB drives and Ipods, and use it for sound cues during some of our shows. Also my boss doesn't want it rack mounted because we may need to move it around, and it needs to be easy enough for our high school students to operate if need be.

So basically
- CD player (2 preferred)
- USB Drive
- Ipod dock (preferred)
- useful for sound cues
- Not rack mounted
- easy-ish for students to learn

We do plan on getting Qlabs in a year or two for our shows, however we neither have a Mac, nor does the school want to rent a per-show license. So until then we have to do it the old way. So we need the ability to Cue up audio.

We've been shopping around for a few weeks and It looks like the only thing that meets those need is a DJ system. Specifically we were interested in the Numark Mixdeck Mixdeck 2-Channel Universal DJ System | Numark. But it just feels kinda silly to buy this though. So my question is:

Is there something more reasonable for our needs, or is this really the best solution?

Thanks guys

Sounds like what you need is... a computer. If you cant afford a Mac now, maybe see if the IT dept has any old Windows machines kicking around. There are plenty of windows sound-cue software packages, many free, just search around these forums.

I tried that already, but my boss is dead set against a desktop, and IT has already said there are no laptops available. We could probably swing a semi decent Laptop but again he wants 2 cd drives. This is the problem I'm really having, he has a ton of very specific demands and is rather stubborn about sticking to them :/

This doesn't fix everything but why not just run the iPod through the board? That would cut down on more thing the cd player needs. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to ease your requirements just a bit to get more choices. Consider rack mount models because they can be used just fine without mounting them. Second, choose either an iPod dock OR a USB drive. If you widen the search that way, consider the Numark MP103USB and the Tascam CD200i. Also, if you do buy a rack mount model, you could put it in something like an SKB rack for protection during transportation and storage.

If it's an option, tell your boss to do his job and let you do yours. As other people have pointed out, all these arbitrary and seemingly wrongheaded requirements are really limiting your selection.

Well I'll try to convince him to get a pair of Numark MP103USB. I think we have an old Rack mount laying around somewhere anyway. Thanks everyone for putting up with this rather retarded request.

Why be opposed to a desktop? It makes having multiple disc drives easy, as well as being capable of having a lot more ability for expansion. It's also a little harder to steal.

I would echo this
choose either an iPod dock OR a USB drive. If you widen the search that way, consider the Numark MP103USB and the Tascam CD200i. Also, if you do buy a rack mount model, you could put it in something like an SKB rack for protection during transportation and storage.

what ever you get....get a case..

If you start dragging that Mixdeck2 around without a case. it will not survive very long.

The tascam has an 3.5mm aux input and a ipod dock so it will take anything that supports earbuds.

the dock will soon be obsolete with the iphone 5 connector.

Last edited:
Why be opposed to a desktop? It makes having multiple disc drives easy, as well as being capable of having a lot more ability for expansion. It's also a little harder to steal.

He says a desktop would take up too much space in the FOH, and it needs to be portable enough to be taken down and stored when not in use, partially because of the kids occasionally taking things. I just learned that our budget for this project is about $800 so I'm thinking I could just build a Rig using a Micro ATX case, but I haven't run that idea by him yet.

Also we have older Ipod touch's that the department uses already, but we'll probably end up getting an adapter anyway just in case, so the new plug isnt really a huge problem.

Don't build a computer for a venue. If it has problems, it will be you who gets all the hassle.

Burn some CDs to test whatever you get. We have a Nummark 25, and it won't play half the burnt discs that folks bring in. I rip them in the PC and use Multiplay (which I prefer for a number of reasons - but it's a pain to do 20 minutes before curtain). (Then there's the folks who bring a USB stick, but it's full of Apple files and I have to play them in iTunes - aarrgghh.)

I totally get what your "boss" is looking for. In many cases people will throw disks/usb's/and various electronics that they want played then and there. I will say that i do not usually get people with the usb drives though...We compensate by two variations. 1st, look into getting a dual cd player...they are great when needing to make cross fades and come as one unit Numark, Tascam and other DJ companies make these (lets face it...that is who these companies make these players for). I did not know that they make cd players with USB ports but you still may find a dual cd one to your liking that has USB capabilities. 2nd, use one of your channels from your sound console to have an 1/8th inch adapter on it so that you can plug any thing with a headphone port in it (most of these adapters aren't perfect....but then most people who need sound right then wouldn't need more than that). These two scenarios would take care of everyone who needs sound right now except for those people who have a cassette tape, for them...tell them to jump off a cliff. Never worry about ease of use when it comes to students, children are inundated with music players from a very young age.

i'm not sure I like that the buttons aren't lit and are a little small for high school....might have some students hitting FF instead of play. I realize they are more than capable of running this very simple CD Player but in my experience level of maturity often leads to lack of attention and false button pushes...big, bright and shiney curbs some of that. Try Numark CDN77USB Professional Dual USB & MP3 CD big buttons, shiny, usb, dual cd player for cross fading from a trusted brand, price point is quite good since your getting two in one. We having something similar to the aforementioned player...when high schools come into our facilities we do not have to explain this player, just run it through 2 stereo channels on your console, label it and you are set for highschoolers or anyone else to come into facilities. It also has several ways to view timing on tracks which can be helpful...though it does have a lot of unnecessary options, you aren't paying extra for them.

Last edited:
The dark buttons can be cured with a Brother labeler and colored label tape. Or careful application of model paint or nail polish.

You definitely want a dual DJ style deck:

Can be set to stop at the end of the track (Single Play).

Ability to play a bit of the track (to check it's the right one) and have it self-return to the beginning of the track (Cue).

For those folks who bring you their songs on several CDs.

On the requirements your boss has, I offer the following analogy: If someone asks for the best screwdriver to pound in a nail, it's better to tell them they need a hammer.

My suggestion is just grab a Mac Mini onto a rack shelf, get 2 USB Blu-Ray players (covers any format you get), and a monitor on an adjustable arm mount. If you need it to be portable, then just get a portable rack like this: http://www.gatorcases.com/p/29201-1656/gr-3s
Used for touring, but could work well for your situation.

If you're using a CD player now, then you likely don't need the full Qlab license, as the free version already does way more than a CD player (or a pair of them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back