Help for a newbie??

Hello,

I work in a School, and have recently been given the task of looking after the Lighting in our main hall/performance space. The stage is a fairly large size (approx 10m x 7m), and I have a small number of fixtures available to me. What I would like to achieve would be to be able to have a nice Wash of light with 4 zones. It would also be nice to try and have some colour washes. We also have a 4k projector which we use to project onto the rear wall of the stage.

The fixtures I have available to me are:
  • 4 x Source 4 Profiles
  • 4 x Prelude profiles
  • 6 x par 64
  • 4 x coda floods
  • 10 x Strand Fresnels (4 with barn doors, 4 with gel holders)
  • Cyc bar
I have done a lot of reading and research into the basics of stage lighting, and have a better understanding now, than when I first started. My ideas would be as follows:
  • 4 x Source 4 profiles in a FOH position, all on the same side, to cover 4 areas of the stage.
  • 2 x Fresnels FOH on the opposite side to provide some fill light.
  • 2 x Fresnels at the back of the stage to provide a backlight.
That is as far as I got really, and then started to thinkg about using the other fixtures to try and create some colour washes.
Does anyone have any other ideas of what they would do with the available fixtures?
Thanks

Mathew,

Need a bit more info first.

-layout of theater ie thrust, half thrust, procenum, black box ect...

- lighting positions. You mentioned FOH and over thr stagr, but what are these? In the house is it box booms, coves, balcony rail? Over the stage are they electric(s) or is it dead hung?

- the lenses in your S4 and other "profiles" . What lamp do you have in the par cans. What is the cyc light.

Sent from Taptalk for Android, this was.

One thing to consider is that with an even number of areas, you are going to have to split center. Meaning that if there is someone standing dead center, they'll be in between the two beams and you won't be able to isolate them.

Ideally you'd have 5 areas, but that isn't really possible with 8 units. Try to see if you can get 2 more? That way you can have a two color system of front light. If you only want one color or can't get more units, then you have 3 profiles for specials (Although I'd hate to mix fixture types in one system)

As to the backlight, generally you'd want to have the same amount of backlight areas as front light. So with 10 fresnels you can get a two color backlight system that corresponds to the front light areas.

For fill light (or side light if possible) you can use the PARs and do 3 from SL and 3 from SR in one color.

I agree with both of the previous posters. Do you by any chance in heaven have a VWX of the place or a PDF layout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back