High school DMX board replacement

Dillweed

Hi, our bijou 5-pin dmx board is quickly approaching the end, we're trying to find a board before hand can anyone recommend a board?? The only ones using it will be me, custodians, and a graduated guy, and sometimes the gym teacher for health and such...

What are your needs in the space? And what do you want to spend on it? There are a slew of options. One thing to look at is what dealers near you sell and can support. Where is the school located?

Call either Stage Sound in Roanoke, or Midway Production Services in Blacksburg.

You're a school, do you have to put this out to bid?

No I would be up to the admin to choose the board but I can push the better board because I'm the only one in the school that knows how to program it.

YES! but we would prefer other students not to know how to use it... It would be me, custodians, prince able and the drama teacher i would be the one to teach them how to use it but they would not need to know how to program it.

ETC Element is slightly above 5k if I recall, but its very user friendly. I can get middle schoolers running a cue stack in about 30 minutes. If you're just running conventionals and LEDs then you'll be set. If you're looking to get into movers then invest in the ION. I like ETC boards since they are easy to run, and not too complicated to program. I was able to teach myself how to program mine using their videos.

Sound stage is an ETC dealer so Talk to them about pricing, and a demo unit.

Last edited:
Hi, our bijou 5-pin dmx board is quickly approaching the end, we're trying to find a board before hand can anyone recommend a board?? The only ones using it will be me, custodians, and a graduated guy, and sometimes the gym teacher for health and such...
Good Morning!

We here at Pathway Connectivity have a product - the Cognito 2 console - that may suit your needs quite well. You can learn more at our YouTube channel here: www.YouTube.com/user/pathwayconnectivity. With that said, purchasing a console is a decision that should not be made on impulse or without research and hands-on demonstration(s). We strongly encourage you to do that. Be sure to look at products from more than one manufacturer.

Best Regards,
Pathway Connectivity

Van Rommel
Director Business Development

While I normally am not an element fan, in this case I would give it my vote since the local shop in town can help you with it but VRommel was spot on. Get a demo on some consoles and do your homework. Consoles are like cars, what kind do you want to drive and what do you need it to do? If aren't happy with the local options or find the Cognito 2 isn't quite up your alley I could potentially hook you up with some other options as the company I work for is a dealer for several brands but, I'm in UT so there you go.

A big thing for me has always been support, whether that be from the dealer or manufacturer.

Yes, Stage Sound should be your contact fora console. I work at a local university and they supply us some equipment at reasonable prices. Since you are a school you should be able to get a better price then MAP. For schools ETC is the way to go, for their tech support if nothing else.

The only ones using it will be me, custodians, and a graduated guy, and sometimes the gym teacher for health and such...
but I can push the better board because I'm the only one in the school that knows how to program it.
YES! but we would prefer other students not to know how to use it... It would be me, custodians, prince able and the drama teacher i would be the one to teach them how to use it but they would not need to know how to program it.
Anyone else find the attitude displayed above reprehensible?

@Dillweed, can you tell us exactly what your position is within the school district?

My recommendation is the ETC Element, with a big caveat: I also recommend a completely separate system of (probably) LED worklights and houselights controlled by a simple switch for non-dramatic uses of the venue by "the gym teacher for health and such," "custodians, prince able [sic]," et cetera. For a variety of reasons, stage lights should only be used for stage purposes.

Anyone else find the attitude displayed above reprehensible?
Yes and no. I choose to interpret as, I don't want untrained people changing settings because the alternative is a highly inappropriate attitude for a high school. That said, You would be / are doing your students and yourself a disservice by not allowing students to learn to program. I've never worked with the bijou, but the element is great for educational settings.

I have students do 100% of my initial cue programming. I'll set up the patch, and a few subs but then I call fixture / sub levels to them and they record the cue numbers, SM writes them down in their bible and the board op script.
The first year is rough, but year two you have a functioning board op who can now train others. Last year my sophomore student called levels and a middle school student programmed the middle school musical. That kid is never leaving theater, and now I have a Junior with leadership skills and confidence as well as a freshman that is chomping at the bit to get back in the booth.

I've done it on my own, it takes twice the time, and no one learns anything from it. Just make sure you have a default preset saved on a flash drive just in case they truly screw up the patch.

Please, if you have a kid who shows ANY interest, get them programming asap. Pushing Go is the least rewarding part of running lights if you ask me.

Ok no need to get all butt hurt Dereklefew! I'm a 10th grade student the kids at our school are not responsible enough to work the board and the administration doesn't want them too neither... So next time don't try to start crap!

So you think that the ETC element is a good board for high school use?

Dill,

There plenty of reason for him to disapprove of your previous statement if it is coming from a person who is working as an educator.
Please note that this is not facebook or reddit. This is a professional forum so please do your best to remain professional.

I understand where you are coming from, many theaters don't the funds to hire someone to take care of the lights, so I admire you stepping up and looking into this for them. Please note though, three years from now, you will have moved on and the school will need to have someone like you who knows how things work. Please take your responsibility to your program seriously and pass on whatever knowledge you have to as many people as you can.

You never know who is going to be the next Dillweed.

Ok no need to get all butt hurt Dereklefew! I'm a 10th grade student the kids at our school are not responsible enough to work the board and the administration doesn't want them too neither... So next time don't try to start crap!
Yep, @derekleffew, definitely reprehensible. I had a feeling @Dillweed was just a student (grammer, spelling, lack of puncuation, etc.). A 20 year old 10th grader!:shock:

You never know who is going to be the next Dillweed.
*trying...not....to...laugh.....*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back