High school DMX board replacement

I had a huntch that things would blow up once someone asked what my position is in the school, people usual don't think that a kid in high school would know that much about a school.

It's not extremely unusual, and we certainly don't have any problem with it, but we like to start at the beginning with everyone. We get a lot of questions ranging from educators and facility managers, to PTA members and students; and the course of action is a little different for each situation.

At 33 dimmers, the Element's capacity is overkill, but the good features and high channel count usually go hand-in-hand. Being ready for future upgrades is a consideration as well. The Pathway Cognito definitely deserves a serious look. It is half the perceived budget, has a small footprint, and is pretty powerful.

Last edited:
@DuckJordan there are 96 channels but only 61 are used @Les so you think the elements to big? And we should look for the pathway cognito?

I think you shoot for the best board you can get (in your case, the Element), but the Cognito sounds like a good console and would be a suitable alternative.

The 96 channels you mention: are they populated in the dimmer rack and wired to outlets?

@DuckJordan here's how the boards setup

1-12 balcony spot 5/12 work
13-16 are the side walk spots 4 lights on each fixture 6 lights work here
17-26 is stage front one light works(solo) light
27-31 are the color lights mid-stage
32-40 are the back stage and curtain lights curtain lights work and the back stage lights don't
45-60 are house lights
And 70 are the work lights

I just put an Element in a school that has 48 dimmers and a few LEDs. The budget was tight and Cognito was the 2nd choice but I do not consider it over kill. The key points were; large displays and plenty of help functions, future growth planned, ETCs legendary support which includes extensive FREE training support, and the vast use of similar consoles in the area. (They can get help from near by university and other schools, and the students will know something useful later.) How much of this would apply to your school?

FYI: Your dimmer rack has 60 circuits, your console has 96 control channels. (the underlining is links to definitions) The work lights are probably controlled by relays that are part of the general school lighting. The dimmer rack is DMX controlled. I suspect all those wires are the power lines from the dimmers out to the lights, not DMX lines.

Yes, 5-pin is standard on professional consoles. The only boards that use 3-pin DMX are cheap DJ controllers.

They can be adapted either way so it's a non-issue, but you probably won't encounter 3-pin if you're looking at the $1,000+ market and manufacturers like ETC, Pathway, etc.

So we cracked open the controller today and found the bios battery right smack in the middle then scavenged around for a AA battery for a little while.... Found one hopefully that solved the settings problem, but we're still in the process of find a replacement board!

@DuckJordan yes it is very close to the need and it's just not me thinking it's going out! The school can't afford a new one for the net, but we have audio/visual stores close that are willing to give us a rate. and @Les your not in the school and don't know the atmosphere please stop criticizing people! The school has and will always look out to the previous users and I'm one out of 3! The students that use it the most is band and drama that's it. There's no one else in the school that's willing or trustworthy of using the board.
Just out of curiosity, how do you know how to use it?

BTW, the bid process defers from one district to another and probably by state. I believe our limit before it has to be bid out is $4K now.

Well I' am just smart with computers I learn how to use the board my eighth grade year and learned to program it my 9th grade year

OK, so use your knowledge and train someone else for future use. Your statement that no one in the entire school is responsible is inaccurate since obviously you are. A school is for education, and you can take part in that process by helping start the process of not always relying on someone who graduated to come back and hope they are free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back