High School Stage Crew Fundraising Ideas

We are going to try selling advertisemnts, and a battle of the bands. Please see my thread on battle of the bands I need help

At my high school we run into this problem to. What can help is to join the actors and the stagehands together and put on shows here and there. For example, actors can present monologues and short scenes while techies present designs they've made for previous shows (models, CAD drawings, etc.), and look into your lighting guys putting on a light show with the sound guys creating the music for it. if you have robotic lighting, even iPros, it'll look spectacular. Also look at taking uncopywrited folk tales and start from scratch for childrens theater shows. it can be an accumulation of small folk tales done on a blank stage with lights, sound, costumes, and a narrator. VERY cheap to do, and all the money you make goes straight into your pocket. and of course, rent out what ever space you have as much as possible to other people/traveling groups. sometimes school districts make you return that money, but who's to say that you cant charge money for your students helping out and have the money go to the theater department.

We are starting a program through eScrip. You just get parents and even students to use cards at stores and the stores give money to the program. You can even tag on your debit or credit card and the card company pays the organization too. People sign up and don't even realize they are helping when they go out and use their cards but the downside is you don't get the money until about 3 months later so it isn't a quick fix, just a long drawn out steady fix.

That sounds exactly like our situaton..to the "t".....we do the normal, like sub sales and all that, but you could do a carnival, or a cool idea would be to hold a dinner where all the crew parents could make a dish and a dessert and you can charge people for a ticket, to boost it, if you have any support from your director, ask them to have a few students write a few one acts and do a dinner theatre. Another thing that they do at the other school I work for is a coffee night where they have some sofas and such on the stage along with other comfortable seating and some little end tables with nice fabric on them and lamps with soft lights in them (or just use your stage lights for atmosphere. Put down a carpet or somethig and give it a coffee house feel then line up some acts, guitar player, singers, comedians, ect....let the theatre kids or your own crew kids be the acts. Then have coffee and snacks and charge for admision. This is something htey do once a month. You could probably even get local vendors for either the dinner idea or the coffee house idea to donate goods. You could also do a Yard sale. Parents could bring in goods to donate, furnature, antiques, good clothing, ect. and then hold a yard sale using those donated items. (I know in some states, people don't even know what a yard sale is. Just in case, it's when you take gently used goods and put them on tables and such in your yard "or parking lot" and sell them for a huge discount. Example is around here, especially with the economy, kids clothes is a big seller, put out the clothing on a table folded neatly, by size and sell them for .50 a piece or whatever...) WEll, good luck, I feel your pain.... :)
Joe

Also if the movie is old enough there are no royalty fees but i don't remember the date.
royalty fees

Uhhh.... no. Film copyright is being guarded pretty tough right now. Very few films actually have moved into the public domain. The few that have are pre-1930. That can be a hard ticket to throw together to attract an audience today. You can get into some pretty serious copyright infringement issues if you screen films, charge admission, and do not have a license for it.

I really like the idea of showing movies through Swank. We have a great projection system in our theatre and this could be really cool......has anyone done this before? How much does the average license run through this company?

Swank is really easy to deal with. I general site license is going to set you back a couple of hundred bucks to show any film from their catalog for a "no admission price" for your audience. You then raise funds on concessions.

When you charge admission you have to pay for the film title (cost ranges based on the title) from around $100 to over $350. That rental rate or 50% of your gate goes to Swank. Again, subsidize with concessions.

In the film industry, movie theaters make most of their money from concessions, not from the ticket price.

I'm looking at this for next year and am lining up sponsors for the rental packages. I'm playing with either the AFI 10 greatest films or a seasonal pick for everymonth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back