Hog vs GrandMA?

Hog 3 has come a long way since it first came out. It use to have major issues with crashes, but not any more. And with each update, they add more and more features to the line.

The other nice part about the Hog pieces, you can use them on any and all of the consoles in the Hog 3 family. Screens, widgets, wings, etc. So there is no real wasted money if you buy Hog PC and say a couple of touch screens, a USB Widget, and a Super Widget. All that stuff can be used on the Road Hog, IPC, Road Hog Full Boar, or Hog 3.

More or less, it comes down to what you like more. I prefer a Hog over a Ma, but that is me, not you. Download the offline editor for the Ma, and download Hog PC and goof around with both. We can sit here and say this is good about this one but that is great about that one till we are all blue in the face, or in this case get a case of arthritis. What really matters is what works for you, they are both good consoles and console lines and nether will do you wrong.

No, not a staple of excellence just a helpful real world story.

Well its def a story. Lol

ooh, I did not know having KC and the sunshine band using a product was a staple of excellence. Considering their rider also calls for mac 500's I don't think that says too much.

Am I a flashlight or am I a MAC 500?

Here's the thing, if you were buying the actual console than the GrandMA wins. For the software the hog wins. It is much more stable and works well enough that KC and the Sunshine band actually tour with the hog 3 running on a pc, granted with the programing and play back wings.

More stable? Have we forgetten what gMA runs on.

VxWorks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am developing right now a external keyboard that has the layout of a grandMA light console which each key will be setup to work with the onPC as a console. Also with the ONPC any touch screen will work with the program. Though its multi monitor setup could be a massaged a bit.

The grandma line is very comparable to the hog line, but I really enjoy the grandma. Its fun to program on, its easy to use, and its REALLY powerful. I would just buy a used light and use onpc with the light and hook up two touch screens. 3 touch screens + two externals and use a DMX board as an external fader for the console. Talk about budget.

OnPC
Two touch screens
1 NSI 48 channel console
1 Dmx Node 2 channel.

Now thats a budget console.

Voila.

ooh, I did not know having KC and the sunshine band using a product was a staple of excellence. Considering their rider also calls for mac 500's I don't think that says too much.

How old was that rider? They've been using 550s for a while now, at least on this past tour if not the one before that, and they carry fixtures with them. Also, hogPC? When they came through 2 months ago or so, the LD used an Avo Pearl Expert.

So they did get a new board. I know their monitor guy and he works with one of my bosses and he was talking to the LD about buying the hog pc and several mac2ks off of KC. Anyways in the pc version i still like the hog over the grandMA but if it were the console then i would go grandMA.

Edit:
Actually two or three months ago was when they were selling off the gear and i haven't talked to them since then.

So they did get a new board. I know their monitor guy and he works with one of my bosses and he was talking to the LD about buying the hog pc and several mac2ks off of KC. Anyways in the pc version i still like the hog over the grandMA but if it were the console then i would go grandMA.

Edit:
Actually two or three months ago was when they were selling off the gear and i haven't talked to them since then.

To the best of my knowledge, they've never had MAC2Ks. And KC has been touring with the Avo for a while. I talked with Derek a while back, and he said that KC opened for an act at his venue, and they had the Pearl, and the LD didn't know how to operate a hog! So both of those seem to be busted ideas.

How old was that rider? They've been using 550s for a while now, at least on this past tour if not the one before that, and they carry fixtures with them. Also, hogPC? When they came through 2 months ago or so, the LD used an Avo Pearl Expert.
the show was two or three weeks ago, and yeah they wanted an avo on the show.

the show was two or three weeks ago, and yeah they wanted an avo on the show.

And they weren't carrying their own lighting? Was it a fly-in? Do you have 550s in stock? If you don't have 550s, I'd assume that 500s would be the second choice. But if you have 550s, I don't see why they'd want 500s.

And they weren't carrying their own lighting? Was it a fly-in? Do you have 550s in stock? If you don't have 550s, I'd assume that 500s would be the second choice. But if you have 550s, I don't see why they'd want 500s.
they carried their own movers so I only glanced at that part of the plot briefly, so they may very well had been 550s.

they carried their own movers so I only glanced at that part of the plot briefly, so they may very well had been 550s.

They're definitely 550s, the LD has been using them almost ever since they came out, apparently. We had them through at Bucknell less than 2 months ago, as I said.

They're definitely 550s, the LD has been using them almost ever since they came out, apparently. We had them through at Bucknell less than 2 months ago, as I said.
congrats, you win at the internet.

Still low end fixtures either way which was my original point that they are not a huge deal, nor a staple of excellence in the world.

congrats, you win at the internet.

Still low end fixtures either way which was my original point that they are not a huge deal, nor a staple of excellence in the world.

...and as much as I like Avos, how many bands tour with an Avo Pearl?

THERE ARE PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET WHO ARE **WRONG** hahahaha. Himesh Reshammiya (A Bollywood popstar) tours with a Pearl. Or rather, his LD specifies one. Along with Parcan hell, 16 ACLs, 8 8-light moles and 8 Cyberlight CXs. Hahaha.

This thread has been going on for far too long. And funnily enough, I've still not bought a desk. BUT I have been using a Pearl. A lot! :-D

EDIT: I've bought a Martin Freekie. :)

Last edited:
There are lots of bands that want the avo. The ones i can think of off the top of my head is, terri clark, saliva, lamafia, spice girls, chris brown, justin timberlake, (lots of touring dance shows), cold play, eric clapton just to name a few.

As a House LD I've encountered the Hog III and Grand MA frequently on riders or with visiting LDs coming in for the show.. I like the Grand MA way better.. I've personally used the Jands Vista T4 and would definitely consider for myself getting the PC version with fader wings for conventionals. Also, several riders ask for AVOs that I've looked at like Air Supply, REO, and The Oakridge Boys guy travels with his AVO Pearl..

As a House LD I've encountered the Hog III and Grand MA frequently on riders or with visiting LDs coming in for the show.. I like the Grand MA way better.. I've personally used the Jands Vista T4 and would definitely consider for myself getting the PC version with fader wings for conventionals. Also, several riders ask for AVOs that I've looked at like Air Supply, REO, and The Oakridge Boys guy travels with his AVO Pearl..

That oakridge boy avo must have been recent. When he came to my house, "boots" was the man and he ran everything off of our express. Totally a great guy to work for.

The jands board is a cooooool board. I really like it, but I need more seat time to see what it does.

That oakridge boy avo must have been recent. When he came to my house, "boots" was the man and he ran everything off of our express. Totally a great guy to work for.

The jands board is a cooooool board. I really like it, but I need more seat time to see what it does.
yeah Boots was awesome to work with, and it was last October, and he was traveling with it so didn't run off our Expression 3 (don't blame him really) it was for their xmas tour last year.. as for the Jands we've used it a couple of times and it's Linux based which is really nice even though I've seen it do a kind of crash once.. it's really cool how you can literally drag and drop to assign buttons, faders, etc. on the main screen to set up the whole console in a matter of minutes.. it makes it really easy to run a show on the fly.

Agreed, the Vista is a great console. I spec it for all the higher end stuff I do, but I make sure to have two for when the one crashes :lol:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back