Identify that Lighting Instrument. (LECO)

SweetBennyFenton

So... I'm going through my old stock and looking at the stranger instruments. I thought I would post pictures of what I find to see if anyone knows what they are.

The first instrument for y'all is a mysterious ERS. The Tilt Knob has "Le Co." stamped into it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• InstrumentX.jpg
    InstrumentX.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 725
Last edited:
Le + Co leads me to believe it is a Lee Colortran.

Oh well, it was a good effort! It kinda reminds me of something from Capitol. Could that be it? They made some pretty creative instruments back in the day.

Derekleffew set me strait on this one... it seems Ship had asked the same question some time ago. So, it was made by Lighting Equipment Company, a division of Grand Stage Lighting Chicago.

I'm still curious what to call the instrument though. Maybe "Old heavy LeCo ERS from the 60s?"

"radial" or as some have called them, "top loaders"

I think you have a 6x12 Grand Stage Leko based on the photo, but it could be Major who bought them out of building these fixtures - somewhat doubtful you have one as Major will have had a name stamped somewhere on them if nothing else but on the reflector. Know someone that visited the factory and spoke with the designer of such a fixture about its development - universal parts be it Fresnels I also have or Leko and the fluiting for cooling fins. Boat anchor but very interesting concept.

No gobo slot on the two 6x9 fixtures I have, but I have seen a 3.5Q5 fixture with Iris holes and mountings curiously and well done installed on them so it is if at the gate and you can mount such a thing possible. Believe I have also seen radial Leko's with Iris slots though I might be wrong.

On the other hand, with a lot of experience with such radial fixtures over the years especially in the past year or two in servicing them. I can say you can get just about as good of a beam with a radial fixture as with a axial fixture. Oh' it's not perfect but infrequently you also won't be able to get a perfect beam even off a S-4 fixture in that amount of as good as it gets or on stage you won't be able to tell. Sometimes you just cannot get it to in swapping out parts or trying really hard to get that beam perfect. I have had perfect or at least as perfect as I could get it given a large oval slot in the reflector stands in the way of a perfect beam - say a really good and even beam of light with hard edge.

Not crap, just takes a bit more time but no less time than that with other even 70's technology. Perfectly servicable if you need it, might be a bit more to the amber side in efficiency given the lamp but not a boat anchor.

Otherwise this is a light fixture that is say 1964ish if I remember correctly and fairly rare.

Lobby or museum lighting or heck, one of my two is outfitted with a store bought MR-16 based track light lighting fixture thats' been adjusted to seat and focus at the optimum position for the focus of the lamp. The MR-16 lamp now bypasses the less than efficient reflector type and instead has a narrow focus lamp designed for beam spread of the gate of the fixture focused towards the lenses. (Yes they are normal lenses.) Given the fixture is rated for at least 500w, in going low voltage or line voltage you could once you bench focus the MR-16 fixture with lamp as you would need to do for a normal radial fixture anyway... could do quite the more efficient MR-16 lamp in such a fixture in possibly out punching that of a modern axial Leko. Going highest wattage, can you transformer the fixture for say 410w/82v for a FXL lamp? What would it's output be like in a Leko? Nobody knows as its never been tested but as a general statement and given some followspots use MR-16 lamps, it is possible to make a 60's era radial Leko into a more efficient or possible than used today MR-16 based Leko.

At very least one could as concept re-base the fixture for MR-16 fixture inside the fixture and lamp it sufficiently that it could be a very good and efficient lobby sculpture as a fixture while also very efficient in lighting say the lobby sculpture.

While I have not tested the Major 6x9 made into a MR-16 fixture yet (long winter to come and a TBA project), I have for a few years now been using 1920's era Plano Convex type box spots as modified to MR-16 fixture (without damaging their ability to go back to what they were) in making for fixtures that are just as efficient with a 50w/12v MR-16 lamp as the origional 400w 400G30SP lamps installed in them. 50w verses 400w for fixture.

As a concept, if the radial fixture is not efficient enough, while there is no new other than upgraded from the incandescent designed for lamps, there is halogen lamps (Say EGG or EGF for 750w or EGE for 500w) or you can upgrade it with in beeing as efficient, its possible to tinker for higher output. Perrhaps easier than other fixtures to make it even more high outptut tin going MR-16 than others as a concept. On the other hand, don't recycle it or use it for a boat stop. Take the chance to clean it, perhaps try it for what it is given a chance and or preserve it for another generation if nothing else.

Oh, I certainly plan on keeping this. As a teacher, I love having a small museum of older instruments to help demonstrate the evolution of stage lighting.

Oh, and also... where I studied, we called them "Base Up" lighting fixtures. You learn something new every day.

Oh, I certainly plan on keeping this. As a teacher, I love having a small museum of older instruments to help demonstrate the evolution of stage lighting.

Oh, and also... where I studied, we called them "Base Up" lighting fixtures. You learn something new every day.

Evolution of stage lighting also fascinates me, currently I specilize in Fresnel types amongst others.

Seen and one day will trade for a Major 4.5" PC fixture of two types. One PC, the other with Fresnel lens. (Forget if they had reflectors or not but think the Fresnel lens was a retrofit anyway). Have a medium screw incandescent 400G30SP based 6" Fresnel. Owner of the company has a incandescent bi-pin Fresnel. I have a bunch of brands and styles of incandescent medium pre-focus more normal style Fresnels and a Kliegl 2.3/8" RSC based halogen fresnel. (Granted I think I tossed out its reflector bracket when I upgraded it with a 65Q reflector assembly, but I still have its origional lampholder and reflector so it's still mostly in tact and should be able to go back mostly to factory spec.) Think that covers just about every type of Fresnel other than say a MR-16 type other than the origional origional version that would be curious to see. Request in PM what ever photos you would like and what details or info on them.

Few other types of fixture I have, but for me the quest is currently on the fixture link between the globe type incandescent PC fixture and where the tubular lamp came to play in what will have become perhaps made available the first Radio Leko type. Lekos in the 30's I think I read that came with the bi-pin lamp at the same time as the what is more known to be a Fresnel.

That and also learning company history. I know the addresses of Universal, Major and Chicago Stage Lighting, but don't know in black hole of history what happened to them in their demise or when between the 20's and 50's amongst other company liniages and innovations they had. Thought at one point I was bidding on a Universal Electric Stage Lighting Co. catalogue but it turned out to be just a 1/4 page add for them cut out of a catalogue of adds.

As with these Grand Stage Lighting fixtures, short of knowing people that knew the players who are getting older now... it's really difficult to get history. I struck out on the Chicago Stage Lighting fixture in its history but got at least a third base hit in by luck knowing two people that knew the owner and saw the product back than to confirm. Given the LE stamp on the knobs, I had a contact at L&E back in research jumping thru loops for me in attempting to help amongst other vendor contacts.

Got a strong feeling my wife bought me two newer books for X-Mass, one was on the history of stage lighting, hope it's great and anwers all. The other was another stage lighting book on history but I forget what it was about.

Side note, just finished re-wiring, cleaning, replacing parts, etc. to two Kliegl #1341 3.5Q5 and 3.5Q6 fixtures. I think they were the origional concept in doing a Altman 3.5Q series I love so much or even a halogen than axial Leko. These as with the above Fresnel have the same base as the 2.3/8" RSC Fresnel fixture use 1960's technology in doing a quartz halogen lamp as best they could in efficiency and that was double ended. The possible origion of the say first halogen lamp for a stage lighting fixture unless it was just a side branch on the tree and extended Quartz lamps to directly replace radial fixture incandescent lamps came first - doubtful in why will have someone gone long linear filament RSC base if that's the case? Such Lekos might have been the first halogen Leko, but given the available wattage verses fixture size the 2.3/8" maximum of 400w/120v might have been the maximum size verses wattage. Bigger lensed fixtures might have been stuck in waiting for the upgraded halogen lamps to upgrade the incandescent fixtures. So these Lekos might also as a concept be also the first Axial Lekos in concept in that they didnt' need a base up lamp - they were any burn position or at least any rotation off the yoke with limits for cross cant. Of interst to me is what was the first axial Leko also in a fixture designed for the newer technology lamp. Was it still medium pre-focus or medium Bi-pin if such was developed yet? As with the first incancescent Leko, what was the first modern age axial Leko that was designed for a halogen lamp and if medum pre-focus, what was the reason for going bi-pin? (Not as distant history but also info not easily found.)

Also, these Kliegl 1341 fixtures might be the first halogen Leko designed around the lamp - a halogen lamp for a fixture type since Leko's got the tubular incandescent lamp. Halogen lamps for incandescent radial fixtures were just an upgrade, the double ended halogen lamp I think both the first new design for a Leko based about the new lamp source and the first type of halogen lamp fixture, and axial to boot. Makes it a very important Leko to collect - as important as the first Leko proper as unknown to me but might be or probably is a Pratt fixture.

So anyway, got them up and running, lamped them down to 75w/120v but will have wished to go lower in wattage and hopefully will (lighting my living room). Not a perfect flat field beam of light but decent enough I would have to say even given a linear filament lamp thru a round lenstrain. Bit of a hot spot to fight and un-even beam of light but not one that cannot be worked with. A bit less crisp in being able to shutter and somewhat limited in not spinning the lens but that's all about the lamp type and more modern spinning the lens train ETC concepts they were very important for amongst other things. Still though nice enough and acceptable fixtures, this even with the RSC lamps, they do make a quality beam of light. The 3.5Q5 style fixture once I found the proper spacer for the focus and adjusted a few other things is quite the great fixture. The Lekos are certainly better than the I thought Altman Q-Lights but in reality Mole wash lights with Altman yokes and knobs. Had to modify down in lamp type size from 5.5/8" to 4.11/16" and invent a reflector for one but they work well in washing the ceiling at 150w, just not as well and wishing for more 3.5Q5 fixtures.

Most of my antiques hang in my garage and collect dust, (lots of saw dust but once cleaned are totally good to go in having re-wired.) Some of the smaller ones be it box spot I have a few of and in saving the unique ones of different brands of - think four different brands of them now, get modified with 50w/12v MR-16 upgrade to others. Other small fixtures, modern Inkies get used but lamped way down 35w for safety. Beyond that, a few larger fixtures at work, crossed cannon type radial 8" Century Lekolights stand guard as if cannons in the main approach to my work area, my DynaBeam is a hit in the front lobby, other bigger fixtures from me or work so far are waiting in storage. Collection of old gear, love it. Once saw a semi-truck come into the dock and on the rear of it was some like 8' long carbon arc follow spot fixtures one of our tech people humanely removed from a theater he was last in. (No idea of where he found storage for them.) This as opposed to in the long past in seeing some pickup truck full of scrap metal thus full of lighting instruments out the window at the theater that in the past I was too late in running down the stairs to catch up with in getting a green light to go away - given I was broke anyway. Scrap metal for antique lighting this even still useful to some or useful for history a shame.

With the internet, and hoping on an ETC museum or more published school museum (work don't have room for a museum on my part), hopefully in the future we will get to such a thing. I know I will possibly contribute to such an ETC museum as the most likely source. Should look into that no doubt...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back