Interchangeability of terms

And here's one that nobody will get, but I'll put it up anyway:

SPRAT/Rope Access

(One is a governing body, the other is the method they govern)

I'm not sure, but his point might have been that DMX isn't the cable, that would be Belden #### or Cat5 or whatever you are using, DMX is the protocol. But yes, people saying "DMX connector" when they mean "5 pin XLR" really bugs me.
Much like "microphone cable", which may commonly reference a shielded, twisted pair of 22-24AWG conductors with three pin XLR terminations. Yet I've used that same basic cable and connector for microphone signals, line level analog audio signals, AES digital audio signals, intercom, low voltage control (contact closure, logic inputs, remote pots, RS-232/485, etc.) and probably a few other uses. It is the application, not the physical devices, that is often being referenced. Thus a cable with shielded, twisted pair of 22-24AWG conductors and three pin XLR terminations is not really a "mic cable" when not in use but it is what you might grab when someone asks for a mic cable.

To help define and enlighten....as a conductor I stand on a soap box occassionally, and a podium regularly, but never on a lectern unless I'm going to jump over the violins to strangle the violas.

It would be very rare that I would ask for a lecturn set up before the rehearsal began. That would be a game time decision.

And here's one that nobody will get, but I'll put it up anyway:

SPRAT/Rope Access

(One is a governing body, the other is the method they govern)

I have fallen to this one before and to add to some rigging ones:

knot/hitch/bend
spanset/GACflex

Last edited:
shocked/electrocuted. If you are telling me that it happened to you, it was the former, or you are speaking from beyond the grave...
/mike

In my area motor/hoist get used interchangeably. Also rigging wire is generally called rigging steel. Accurate but not really correct.

One of my pet peeves - phase versus polarity. It's amazing how many manufacturers and 'experts' apply them improperly.

In my area motor/hoist get used interchangeably. Also rigging wire is generally called rigging steel. Accurate but not really correct.

winch and hoist - frequently improperly used interchangeably

cyc or cyclorama and sky drop - a pet peeve - but a cyc is curved

but then I'm still stuck in the jumper vs cable era

I suppose 6X9 Leko is nearly interchangeable with 36 degree Source4 - or not - depending on how you are meaning it.

Wish there was something interchangeable with a dynabeam today......

How about cat5 with UTP... Cat 6 is also UTP. There is an STP version of Cat 5, and Cat7 is also fully STP.

Cyc vs. Bounce or sky drop bugs me, too... Very few places have true cycs anymore. W&M has one, including a pit for their floor cyc lights to live in and the bottom of the cyc to land in. It's way cool to see lit...

chop saw vs. powered miter saw

the list goes on, unfortunately.

If only I could "Like" this many times over...

including a pit for their floor cyc lights to live in

cyc troughs can be common depending on the venue... I worked in/on one where we had a midstage and an upstage cyc trough. I've worked with a few theatre consultants who are putting them in new venues with LED cyc lights... as for true cyc's. my venue has a vinyl projection surface as a cyc... I hate it... impossible to get the wrinkles out of...

In my area motor/hoist get used interchangeably.
+1, but then you throw in the "chain hoist"

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
..............cyc or cyclorama and sky drop - a pet peeve - but a cyc is curved............

I've given up on this one. I deal with architects who insist on calling the blacks as a group, (legs, traavelers, borders) as the "Cyclorama Curtains" or a flat drop either white or light blue as a Sky Cyclorama or any back curtain as a cyclorama............... Drives me crazy!

Can you explain to me the difference with cyc vs sky cyc

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Last edited by a moderator:
A cyc or cyclorama was always concaved until sometime in the last 50 years when the term was also applied to flat drops. its simply one more bastardization of the language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back