Interfacing a newer dmx console to an old Electro Controls dimmer rack.....

Lancester

I need to connect a very simple lighting board (28 channels or so) to an old early 80's model electro control dimmer rack. Any suggestions here?

What dose the rack use to get control information DMX Or Analog. If its dmx it should be simple. if it is old enough to be analog it will be a challenge and it might not be worth it.

Last edited:
What dose the rack use to get control information DMX Or Analog. If its dmx it should be simple. if it is old enough to be analog it will be a challenge and it might not be worth it.

The older EC dimmer rack is almost certainly analog. It's definitely not DMX, but I suppose it could also be AMX.

Just because it is analog doesn't mean it is decrepit and at the end of its life. Heck, the analog days weren't that long ago! ;) . Some of those older dimmer racks are real solid workhorses, and as long as the OP's is working fine, it is definitely worth it. A few hundred for a DMX --> Analog converter vs a few thousand for new dimmer packs/racks.

I certainly like this idea better than finding an old board to interface with the dimmers.

You need this:
http://www.dfd.com/24anl.html

Can someone quote a price for me? Most I found via Google were in the $300-$400 range and were from companies such as Leviton/NSI and Elation. The DFD unit above is undoubtedly more expensive.

Last edited:
...You need this:
Doug Fleenor Design - DMX to Analog Converter 24 Channel

Can someone quote a price for me? Most I found via Google were in the $300-$400 range and were from companies such as Leviton/NSI and Elation. The DFD unit above is undoubtedly more expensive.
From Doug Fleenor Design - Ph & FAX (805) 481-9599 :
MSRP is $772.20.

But I'd guess that "an old early 80's model electro control dimmer rack" might be using ECmux. From Pathway Connectivity Inc. - Lighting Control Protocols - Part 2 :
ECMUX
History -- Electro Controls entered the digital protocol race in 1983. Originally known as "Celebrity Protocol" after the console that it was developed for, ECmux was used to control QD Series dimmer racks and Playmate digital packs. The protocol was expanded in 1985 to carry channel/dimmer softpatch information when Premiere control consoles were introduced, and the QD dimmer rack electronics were redesigned to store and process the patch data. Although very few Premieres were sold before Strand acquired EC in 1986 and stopped making that product, Celebrity consoles and QD racks continued to be manufactured under the name Strand Electro Controls. An updated Celebrity Plus appeared in the late 1980s; it transmitted patch data to the dimmer racks in the same fashion as the Premiere console. By 1992, Strand had stopped production of all EC-designed equipment except a new Premiere architectural control system.
Fleenor and/or Patchway Connectivity would likely have the proper protocol converter.

As reply to your original post about having some contractors "accidently" removing and discarding your old Electro-Controls lighting console, I could only think that there are possibly 30 or 40 members here on Control Booth who would GLADLY pay to have that kind of accident !. I had to do something similar to my very vintage Strand Century Multi-Q a few decades ago. So while I know it's a pain to have to deal with adapting to a new control, in the long run.....

As mentioned in the other thread it looks like your dimmers do take DMX so you can use any modern board with it. If you are looking at as simple as possible, companies such as Lightronics and NSI are candidates. If you are dead set on staying analog I may have a lead for one. Try going with current technology if at all possible. If you have to buy a board you might as well get something that wiill be servicable for a number of years.

As mentioned in the other thread it looks like your dimmers do take DMX so you can use any modern board with it. If you are looking at as simple as possible, companies such as Lightronics and NSI are candidates. If you are dead set on staying analog I may have a lead for one. Try going with current technology if at all possible. If you have to buy a board you might as well get something that wiill be servicable for a number of years.

That, or see if someone has an old analog sitting in the close they are willing to give you/ sell for REALLY cheap. If you can get an analog for $50 that will do all you need, then that would solve your problem for the moment, and then you can save for a console that you want and will be expandable.

Also, if you want to test whether it would take DMX before investing in a board, pick up the $10 magicDMX which not only will allow you to test, but would provide a backup.

That, or see if someone has an old analog sitting in the close they are willing to give you/ sell for REALLY cheap. If you can get an analog for $50 that will do all you need, then that would solve your problem for the moment, and then you can save for a console that you want and will be expandable.

Also, if you want to test whether it would take DMX before investing in a board, pick up the $10 magicDMX which not only will allow you to test, but would provide a backup.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Were it dmx, it would be connected via an xlr connection wouldn't it? The connector in the light booth is a multi-pin, probably at least 40 or so.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Were it dmx, it would be connected via an xlr connection wouldn't it? The connector in the light booth is a multi-pin, probably at least 40 or so.

Thats a 0-10v system then. You will need to get a DMX to 0-10v converter. Dove systems makes a good one, as well as DFD as stated above. You can also find used ETC Response Units out there that still have a lot of life in them. You will need to find out how that connector is wired up. There should be a pair of wires for each dimmer. That will then have to be wired into the converter. Could you take a picture of that connector? That might help us figure out if it is a standard connector or something rather custom.

Or (more likely) one wire per dimmer, AND one or several commons.

we have a response unit for one of our dimming packs at my theatre. It has one long end that goes into the response unit and than about 10 connectors branching off of that. Its a 6ch dimmer with about 6 inputs for each channel but we only need to plug one of those 10 cables into the front of the dimmer. and it never seemed like 40 pins to me, looked more like 20

it never seemed like 40 pins to me, looked more like 20

There was no true standard for 0-10v gear. The Cinch Jones connector was the closest, but there are several other variations out there. Added to that, not everyone wired their connectors the same. This is why pre-DMX it was nearly impossible to interface touring control gear to house dimmers which lead to the creation of FOH transfer panels. Just because your building is wired one way, does not mean other ways exist.

There was no true standard for 0-10v gear. The Cinch Jones connector was the closest, but there are several other variations out there. Added to that, not everyone wired their connectors the same. This is why pre-DMX it was nearly impossible to interface touring control gear to house dimmers which lead to the creation of FOH transfer panels. Just because your building is wired one way, does not mean other ways exist.

I will take some pictures of our "monster dimmer" later before tonights show.

Take a picture of the connecor in the booth. It is probably an aqua blue connector. That was the standard board connecter EC used, it matches nothing anybody used that I know of. I'm not sure the pin out on that plug but the same one was used on a six dimmer board as a 36 dimmer board.
Even the Cinch Jones plug wasn't completely standard. TTI and LMI used a 10pin CJ plug, Lepracaun used an eight pin but all only used 7 wires and a simple adapter could be made.

Wow, thanx for all the good info friends. My dimmer rack is definetely loaded with the "quad dimmers" shown in the EC archive link & the connector plug in the booth is the aqua blue color. I will post some pic's of both on monday. I'd like to find an interface that is the standard 19" rack mount configuration & mount it in the dimmer rack on the stage,then send the dmx signal down one of the microphone inputs from booth to stage. As far as a board, all I need is a super simple, maybe two scene board like an NSI or a dove.....

Everything sounds good 'till this point:

then send the dmx signal down one of the microphone inputs from booth to stage.

You will want to run a dedicated DMX line from the booth. You will likely run in to issues if you use the microphone inputs.

On simple consoles, look in to Lightronics and Leprecon also. The Leprecons are a little more pricey but they are generally good products. Dove is good too, if you can find one to fit your needs. Lightronics will give you a lot of bang for the buck. NSI is fine, but make sure you purchase the DMX option. The default Microplex option (3 pin XLR on NSI boards) is only compatable with NSI dimmers. In fact, with any board you get, confirm that they output DMX. Some of the smaller format consoles still use an optional proprietary protocol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back