Leko alternative spelling?

rsmentele

Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
Anyone else think this spelling of 'Leko' is wrong? Or is it a regionally accepted alternative?

'Leiko' I think it's flat out incorrect as the term comes via the last name of the inventors Levy and Kook, but maybe I'm being too harsh, but if you are going to write a book, make sure you at least have the vernacular right...

Attachments

• 2015-11-21 10.19.02.jpg
    2015-11-21 10.19.02.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 216
Anyone else think this spelling of 'Leko' is wrong? Or is it a regionally accepted alternative?

'Leiko' I think it's flat out incorrect as the term comes via the last name of the inventors Levy and Kook, but maybe I'm being too harsh, but if you are going to write a book, make sure you at least have the vernacular right...

I see it written about every which way in riders all the time. Its a kleenex term anyway. Most people under the age of 25 call all ERS fixtures source fours anyway just like people over the age of 40 call them all lekos.

Yeah, well, the definition of "border light" there isn't winning any prizes for accuracy, nor is the description of an ERS as "recognizable by the presence of shutters" while ignoring the definition (i.e. containing an ellipsoidal reflector).

What is this book? I'm fundamentally against book burning. . .

I've never seen Leiko in use before, but have seen Leico. ...and I'm something beyond 25.

I see it written about every which way in riders all the time. Its a kleenex term anyway. Most people under the age of 25 call all ERS fixtures source fours anyway just like people over the age of 40 call them all lekos.
Maybe more like 50 or 60. I'd guess anyone under 30 or 35 when S4 was introduced would have relearned Leko to be S4 - so they would be 53 to 58 today. And few would have met Ed Kook or remember when Strand had a market share like ETC does today, let alone ogle a new fixture using a T-12.

BTW, I've decided on calling them profiles because as noted above ellipsoidal does not fit for so many reasons.

Reactions: Ric
Anyone else think this spelling of 'Leko' is wrong?
Yes.
Or is it a regionally accepted alternative?
No.
The only acceptable (and fairly obscure) variant is if one is referring specifically to the fixtures of short-lived and long-defunct Lighting Equipment Co.: LECO.
leco_clamp.jpg

but maybe I'm being too harsh, ...
No, you're not being harsh enough. Please state the book's title, author, and publisher, so that we may campaign to have its Library of Congress identification number repealed.

Sorry, but I half too go focuss the leeco's on the psyche wright now.

Re: Control Booth: Tech. Forum or English Class??

I think spelling terms and pieces of equipment correctly is kinda important. When I see people write Leco I know they don't know very much.

BTW, I've decided on calling them profiles because as noted above ellipsoidal does not fit for so many reasons.

Do you mind elaborating on that a bit more? I've always been under the impression that Profiles refer exclusively to framing projectors using condenser lens optics.

As a side note, LED "ellipsoidals" are more correctly referred to as profiles.

I'm partial to Fixed-Focus Spotlight; not for accuracy nor precision of meaning - I just like the three-letter acronym (TLA) produced.

It also helps that no-one wants to use it as a trademarked term yet. (...uh, I call dibs!)

Do you mind elaborating on that a bit more? I've always been under the impression that Profiles refer exclusively to framing projectors using condenser lens optics.

As a side note, LED "ellipsoidals" are more correctly referred to as profiles.
Perhaps once but Google profile spotlight and they all go to ERSs. Even the venerable Patt 23 which does not use a ellipsoidal reflector nor condenser lenses is considered a profile. Wikipedia says profile and ers are synonymous. Even the wiki here doesn't clearly say and ers is not a profile. And just what type of lenses do S4 LED s and other LEDs use that make them a profile or not?

I use the term profile as they all project a hard edge beam that can be shaped in some fashion.

Even the wiki here doesn't clearly say and ers is not a profile.
All ERSs are profiles, but not all profiles are ERSs. Profile spotlight was originally a UK term, which for some reason avoided the ellipsoidal reflector, preferring instead spherical reflectors and condenser lenses. Technically optically superior, but not as efficient.

The Parellipshere, by definition and name, is not an ERS, but still falls into that category. Similarly LED PAR and LED Leko.

I for one am saddened that today's youth don't know the origin of LeKo, and shutter at the thought of calling all ERSs "Source Fours."

Book information:
Sound, Lighting & Video: A Resource for Worship by Brad Herring
Not a book I decided to pick up, simply reviewing the details and accuracy for possible suggested reading list.......

Needless to say, it will NOT be making the list.

I've actually gotten in the habit of calling them lekos lately. Calling them S4s doesn't work in my space because we're half actual S4 and half Strand Centuries, so the distinction is important. If I'm talking about a specific unit, it's Strand Century or S4, but if I want to talk about them as a collective, it's lekos. Is correct? I don't know. Does every LD's who's walked into my building ever know what I'm talking about? You betcha. And that's all that matters.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

In OZ, we call them profiles. Fixed angle profiles or zoom profiles. It's easy, and everyone knows what you mean.
Leko is not a term heard here, unless it's from someone touring from the USA.

I think we should use our unofficial power to call a council and settle the matter of naming. I nominate "profile" as the technical term. I like that it describes the result and not the intricacies of achieving it. Hard edged, focusable beam with the ability to shape the beam via inserts at the focal point (shutters, gobos, etc). I further suggest we stick with leko as the slang term, because it's been around longest, rolls off the tongue, and is completely opaque to those not in the know.

Once that's handled, we'll settle "west-coasting" once and for all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back