Leko alternative spelling?

I think we should use our unofficial power to call a council and settle the matter of naming. I nominate "profile" as the technical term. I like that it describes the result and not the intricacies of achieving it. Hard edged, focusable beam with the ability to shape the beam via inserts at the focal point (shutters, gobos, etc). I further suggest we stick with leko as the slang term, because it's been around longest, rolls off the tongue, and is completely opaque to those not in the know.

Once that's handled, we'll settle "west-coasting" once and for all.

Along with that, "wash" for fresnels, S4 pars, and many LEDs.

Reactions: Ric
Well, not all Source 4s do use an elliptical reflector, and many luminaires that use LED as the source are nearly interchangeable with ellipsoidals. And as inaccurate as it may be, the term ellipsoidal reflector spotlight and profile spotlight are considered equal by many sources. Just Google profile spotlight and its hard to find one one with a spherical reflector. I'm sympathetic to your view but I think there is no turning back.

I have always called them elllipsoidals. I define them as "A theatrical lighting instrument with a barrel, reflector, optics set, and shutters; capable of being focused on a specific focus point; and producing, in one positioning of the optic set, a beam with a defined edge. Examples include the ETC Source Four ERS and Altman 360Q. Traditionally used to light a specific focus point or zone at a distance. "

Sent from Taptalk for Android, this was.

Well, not all Source 4s do use an elliptical reflector, and many luminaires that use LED as the source are nearly interchangeable with ellipsoidals. And as inaccurate as it may be, the term ellipsoidal reflector spotlight and profile spotlight are considered equal by many sources. Just Google profile spotlight and its hard to find one one with a spherical reflector. I'm sympathetic to your view but I think there is no turning back.

"THE" Source Four, according to the manufacturer, is the original ellipsoidal spotlight unit. Other ETC fixtures using the "Source Four" nomenclature often have a second name added, such as "PAR" or "Jr., or "HID" or "LED" to indicate separate and different fixtures, although even ETC is inconsistent with this.

Moving to the Profile name introduces inconsistencies with a whole family of assorted moving lights using Profile as the type but not having ellipsoidal reflectors.

And then there's the problem of moving to the "Profile" name means we colonists will have to adopt the name as used in the Queens realm and do we want to break a long standing tradition of (not) bending to their rule. ?. Next thing we'll be calling it "Al-You-Min-Ium"and spelling theater with an E at the end.

All tongue in cheek. I really don't care what it's called. I'll still call them S4's meaning the ellipsoidal and will use Ellipsoidal to describe the generic style of unit.

Last edited:
I think anyone using "Source Four" as a generic for "ellipsoidal" or "profile" should be required to trade genuine ETC Source Four instruments for whatever ellipsoidal instruments I can come up with.

As far as selecting a generic term, I have no problem with "ellipsoidal" or "ERS" for those spotlights that actually use ellipsoidal reflectors, but I do agree that the even more general term "profile" is appropriate as technology moves on providing more ways to get a hard defined edge.

Yes.
No.
The only acceptable (and fairly obscure) variant is if one is referring specifically to the fixtures of short-lived and long-defunct Lighting Equipment Co.: LECO.
View attachment 12688

No, you're not being harsh enough. Please state the book's title, author, and publisher, so that we may campaign to have its Library of Congress identification number repealed.

Sorry, but I half too go focuss the leeco's on the psyche wright now.

I just finished a run in a space that had "Psych" on the lineset label

Interesting as I was going to suggest above that insisting not calling ERSs "profiles" because they originally had spherical reflectors was sort of in the same lost cause category as my refusing to accept flat (straight) back drops "cycs", which by definition are curved in plan.
Bill are you saying that you are in favor of calling straight white backdrops "psychs" to distinguish them from true "cycs"? ;)

I'm simply in favor of use of the correct terms and the preponderance of published definitions for cyclorama say it is curved or encircles the spectator. And I'm pretty sure I'll go to my grave having convinced very few to curb their misuse of the term by applying it to straight drops. (I use "sky drop" on plans and in specs, etc., for a flat white, straight, drop.)

LEKO - a brand
E.R.S. - not for LEDs
S4 - too specific and too general all at the same time
PROFILE - overlaps with other types (mover & PC)
F.F.S. - not for zooms (ZFS anyone?)

Anyone care coin a new term? Shutter lights? (Don't get me started on PAR)

While we debate the world seems to have focused on Profile as not a Wash, Beam or Laser. The Venn diagram of these names applied to certain fixtures would be interesting in a purely academic way.

On a side note, some at a hotel refer to certain lights as LEDs. It's a new building and >90% of the 17 story building is LED including everything in all ballrooms. Accurate but not useful, even in casual conversation.

I'm simply in favor of use of the correct terms and the preponderance of published definitions for cyclorama say it is curved or encircles the spectator. And I'm pretty sure I'll go to my grave having convinced very few to curb their misuse of the term by applying it to straight drops. (I use "sky drop" on plans and in specs, etc., for a flat white, straight, drop.)

Bill, I'm with you that curved-ness is in the very word "cyclo. . ." I'd be happy if I could get people to stop calling them "scrims."

But, I have to quibble with "sky drop." In my world, that was a painted drop.

leko2230-1989-jpg.3447

Users who are viewing this thread

Back