Lens train functionality

I hate to keep bumping this up, when it is no use to anyone. So this is my last post on this thread. I understand you, but I just disagree with you.

I have done most of these things. I lit a show with a cyc light as a wash light, and it was a disaster. But I lit a space in a theater basement once with 4 cyc lights for the entire show. It was fine. But man I wish I had 4 Source4 36 degrees instead.

I would never use fresnels for front light from 20', but I would use them as fill from that distance (I am assuming 8" fresnels) in a thrust. My limit for fresnel front light is 12' or so. And never in a proscenium. But I will use ERS units for front light from 6' (I have done it before beautifully, with a soft, diffuse edge).

I got my theater education at University of Texas at Austin before going on to spend time as a truss spot op/electrician and eventually LD on many tours. Then I spent some time doing lighting installs on cruise ships. From there I went on to be rep designer for theaters and live music venues in Austin, TX. I designed at everything from 50 seat theaters to 500 seat theaters to multi-thousand seat arenas. In that time I worked with some of the most respected theater companies in central Texas as well as designing lights for a large number of touring acts. I moved to Dallas and began working in audio, video, and lighting, merging my talents with my dads company. Since then we have done production designs for many of the biggest names in Christian music (I got out of the secular concert world), as well as working as a lighting designer for several regional theater companies here in Dallas (there are only two companies left I want to work with, but I have to be a USA member to do it, and I am still debating if it is worth it). In addition, we now do lighting/audio/video consultation, supply, design, and install for theaters, houses of worship, clubs, hotels, etc. We work with churches as small as 100 members up to 15000+. In addition we provide production design services for touring acts, church camps, one off shows, corporate events, and I am trying to get into the high end wedding business.

You can see our recent client list on our website (from the last 18 months).

We can fill whatever role you need.

The blog series is meant mostly for church technicians, high school lighting designers, etc. People just starting off that need a background in lighting and lighting units. I started the blog as a request from a multitude of clients, church and theatrical who wanted to have some basic lighting knowledge, so I started simply (how to design a show was the first series, then lighting units, next up will the basic color theory and basics on focus from the techs POV and then from the LD POV). It is a basic, beginning series for my clients (and anyone else) without a lot of experience in the lighting field.

But I follow my own advice. For example we just did a church install with 12 LED PARs, 8 ERS, and 4 Moving Lights. I did a church install a few months ago with 40 LED PARs, 16 Moving Lights, and 25 ERS units.

I am doing a theater install in January, and in the smaller theater in the complex (a 100 seat thrust) we are doing 36 Source4 units of varying lensing, 6 Source4 PARs, and 18 LED PARs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back