Lycian Spotlights

(Sorry for the off topic)
Where have you seen one of those upgrades? ...
Where I've seen the upgrades is irrelevant. Contact Strong if you are interested.
There are three simple upgrades for older xenon Supers:
1. Reflector
2. Heat glass
3. Projection Lens.
There's also a new rear operator panel with a better ammeter, and of course replacing the magnetic ballast with an electronic one.

I know some people who have some Xenon Super Troupers, and don't have any lamps left. (I have heard more then one of those lamps "explode"...and still work)
Well, I've only been working with xenon lamps since 1980, and have only witnessed two lamp explosions inside the lamp house, so you must have more experience than me. But in both of my cases, once the lamp "exploded," it no longer continued to emit light.
img048.jpg
The XBO2000W/H 2K SuperTrouper/1290XLT lamp costs about $500-600, but is warranted for, I believe, 2000 hours. No other followspot lamp offers as much bang for the buck (no pun intended).
---
...but I am a big fan of the way a lycian is layed out. All my spot ops like using them way better than a super trouper. ...
To each his own. But one of my peeves with Lycian (and RJ for that matter) is that just about every model is laid out differently. I wonder if the RJ folks sit around dreaming about how they can put the douser in a different place. Why the top handles on a 1290 are different from the Super, I'll never understand.

Last edited:
There are three simple upgrades for older xenon Supers:
1. Reflector
2. Heat glass
3. Projection Lens.
There's also a new rear operator panel with a better ammeter, and of course replacing the magnetic ballast with an electronic one.

Well, I've only been working with xenon lamps since 1980, and have only witnessed two lamp explosions inside the lamp house, so you must have more experience than me. But in both of my cases, once the lamp "exploded," it no longer continued to emit light.
The XBO2000W/H 2K SuperTrouper/1290XLT lamp costs about $500-600, but is warranted for, I believe, 2000 hours. No other followspot lamp offers as much bang for the buck (no pun intended).

Ok, when I read your post, "I was thinking upgrade from xenon to something else."

I wouldn't say I have more experience... (wouldnt really want to say that either)

I guess "explode" isn't the best word for it. The lamp made a very loud bang, and quit working. Once when I was in the spot booth, once when I was on headset. Both times, it would reignite a while later. I don't know what word would be better then explode though. We've been having problems with the spots, and our local supplier doesn't have what we need (being the only place in town with super troupers) but I don't know if they could order it, probably could. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the look of a Lycian but I absolutely hate to run them. They are the most frustrating things I have ever touched. I have run carbon Troupers, Super Troupers and Gladiators, both carbon and Xenon. I can run them and never look to what I am grabbing. I use a Lycian and I have to think about every move I make.

Sounds like you're just accustom to the Trouper. It's second nature like that for me on a Lycian.

To each his own. But one of my peeves with Lycian (and RJ for that matter) is that just about every model is laid out differently. I wonder if the RJ folks sit around dreaming about how they can put the douser in a different place. Why the top handles on a 1290 are different from the Super, I'll never understand.

Followspot operation is a relatively personal experience for most operators. If you've done it for any length of time you get to like and dislike many different fixtures. To each their own. No harm or fault in that. Each manufacturer builds their fixtures so there is some identity, whether for operational or aesthetic reasons. Since this is a Lycian thread i won't wax philosophical on the pro's and con's of fixtures not related to the topic but I do have 3 bits of info to share.

1. Derek, except for the entry level Buxie followspot, all RJ followspots have the douser located at the ergonomic control handle level, forward of the tilt pivot point, right where the right hand of the operator will naturally find it without stretching or fumbling when they are in position to operate the light. The only difference is that over time douser mechanical concepts have evolved and on the compact range of fixtures have become a roller operated belt drive douser, while the long throw fixtures utilize a rotary knob either located on the lens tube or integrated into the ergonomic control handle (which I prefer to operate). RJ keeps the standard operating controls off the top of the fixture. This helps operators avoid excessive heat at the controls (who hasn't burned their left arm at one point or another). I have also found that i don't suffer from "spot shoulder" due to having my left arm hanging in an upward position to operate the iris/douser/chopper controls. But as i said, to each their own on followspot operations and needs. Just thought i'd clear that "RJ douser" thing up.

2. Porkchop, the probably reason you perceive an output difference with your M2's is that they operate with a different optical system than a Super Trouper (or a 1290 for that matter). Condenser optics systems collect light differently than an elliptical reflector. Condenser Optics are about Quality of light and a flat field without having to continually futz with optimization and lamp rotation. The HMI lamp is inherently more stable and safe than a xenon lamp as well. The rest is probably better left to a different thread.

3. To the OP, the electronic ballast is lighter and probably attached to the fixture (Lycian), depending upon the wattage and fixture type. If you are moving the fixtures around the electronic ballast makes things easier. Electronic ballasts do set up an electronic buzz in the fixture/lamp. It can be a bit disconcerting and distracting if the fixture is in an exposed area near the audience. The Magnetic ballast is heavier but quieter (in my experience), and easier and probably cheaper to maintain as an end user. Have fun picking out your new fixtures and enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you're just accustom to the Trouper. It's second nature like that for me on a Lycian.
Absolutely, I like the output in my building of my Lycians. I bought three M2s and they compete easily with my supers, I just can't run the blame things. Call me old and set in my ways, I'm OK with that. The other thing I don't like is you have to cut and load the gel boomerang. They do make Lycians that will use Super frames but mine do not.
I guess "explode" isn't the best word for it. The lamp made a very loud bang, and quit working. Once when I was in the spot booth, once when I was on headset. Both times, it would reignite a while later. I don't know what word would be better then explode though.
I have never had a Super make a bang or explosion noise without it actually blowing up the lamp. If that happens you just clean the light and replace the lamp. I've had lights quit operating and come back later, for a variety of reasons but never had a bang associated with it.
I can't stress enough how dangerous it is to handle the xenon lamps. I have a nearby arena that hires me just to replace their lamps. Obviously that is a rare occasion, the last time it wasn't a bad lamp, it was a bad ignitor. I told them that before I changed the lamp but they wanted me to do it anyway to eliminate it from the mix.

Just how dangerous? I think this video has surfaced here before.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Exploding Projector Bulb - YouTube

Those [-]idiots[/-] gentlemen with less than stellar judgement are very lucky.

All that PPE, and yet you're standing in front of carbon-arcs (projectors, I assume) that use asbestos wiring! Just sayin'.;)

Sigh..... not even getting into the arguments I had with our in-house projectionist about that !.

This photo is a couple of years old and he has since wrapped the external projector wiring in a fiberglass sheathing. I'm not looking inside the machines.

I did finally call our Health and Safety officer who helped figure out a solution. You can encapsulate asbestos apparantly, but I stayed out of it.

Encapsulation is a pretty fine solution. It's the airborne particles that are dangerous. This is why when you see them pull asbestos on tv they have a positive air flow chamber and they wet the material, it keeps it from becoming airborne. If there is pipe insulation intact, many times they just wrap it with PVC sheeting.

Gee, never had to worry about the carbon rods exploding in the good old days! :grin:

I've had Super Troupers and currently have a Lycian. Not many spots feel like real spots after you have been spoiled by Strong. (My own opinion.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back