Automated Fixtures Martin Mac 250+ DJ use or not a good idea?

JCmolina

Hello,

I am a high school student who has worked in the theater since i can remember.
I am currently in the process of purchasing two Martin Mac 250+s for use when i work on lighting shows and more importantly for when i throw house parties (big)!

I usually use sound activated fixtures to avoid having to program for songs but now i want these lights and i know they dont have a sound sensor so I was wondering if there was a DMX controller out there that could be hooked up to a computer(or not) that has sound detection.

If i cant i think the MArtin mac 250+ would be a waist of time and money?

Take a look at the elation line. They offer simular fixtures at a lower price and many of the lower end stuff does have sound activation. Sound activation is kind of the kiss of death for anyone that wants to buy a pro level moving light...

One doesn't find sound-to-light capability in higher-level gear as that feature is not wanted or expected by higher-end users. Most designers/technicians (other than DJs, (and I'm trying NOT to disparage DJs)) feel it is their job to decide what the light should do, not the light's internal microphone.

See also these threads:
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/23125-sound-light-question.html
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/20229-sound-reactive-lights.html

The Martin MAC250+ is a great little fixture, but may not be right for your application.

And welcome to ControlBooth.

Can you fix it when it Breaks? There are some cheaper options out there that do have sound activated features and stand alone modes. If this is gear that you can repair and plan to rent then yes, this is a great idea. If you can afford a Dongle for a PC, that would let you program on your Laptop, or can afford a Mini- DMX controller that has a full universe, again I would recommend this. I think that Martin actually makes a Plug and Play devices that let's you control a single fixture directly.

Energy Plus + Wholesale Lighting & Design

They're out there but you can't really do full programing with them. I'm betting you haven't even begun to think about Power, Storage, Maintenance, Lamps ? All this stuff. I'd suggest you do some research. Seriously If you want to buy professional grade equipment just to impress your freinds or doing something that isn't bringing you income, your going to have more hassle and headache then you really want to deal with. When I used to sell this stuff, I made the quick comparison between buying a light and buying a car. Try thinking about it that way. What are the features you want and are the most familiar with that will make the light do what you want it to do?
Go and find out some more and then let us know what you're thinking.

-and that's a couple of pennies your way.

For what its worth, I was at a club a few nights ago and they had a ceiling full of Mac250 on their steel, then on walls and pipes and whatnot lower down they had other DJ stuff. All appeared to be sound activated, the Mac250s just kind of did things randomly, doubt someone was up there pushing buttons and the music was all done live... I have a feeling that there are devices that you can hook a mic up to it or a line in or something and have it make random commands to the lights. Or maybe they just have an LD in on mondays?

I was a sole Op DJ for a year or so. I would have loved a Mac250. I dont know if you are getting them used or new or what ever. But I can tell you 99% of DJs do not have such lights. If you want to set yourself apart then buy them. When you sit down with a client and show them pic or videos of your light show, they will be blown away. Keep in mind that the last 3 DJs they talked to have a mirror ball and a red and blue police beacon.

Running them in an auto mode is not the best situation unless you can switch between auto programs. I dont know much about the Mac250s but I run a lot of lights off a Martin Freekie. Something like that should work fine.

There's several pc-based lighting programs. They have mostly been discussed here and other forums ad naseum. Prices range from $50 - over $1,500. Some might have a sound active feature. You'll have to do some digging on that.

As for Mac250+, given that other lights are so far advanced from the output/features of that product, I'd not pay more than $200 each for them, in good working condition.

Keep in mind that the last 3 DJs they talked to have a mirror ball and a red and blue police beacon.

Maybe 20 years ago, but a lot of djs are buying LED to do uplighting, many have moving lights, etc. And with Elation, American DJ, Chauvet, and a bunch of others targeting djs with cheap, LED based, plug and play products, djs with lighting is a much more competitive field now. Fortunately, the pendulum is swinging the other way, where so many clients have seen all the cheesy dj lighting and are now not buying it.

IMHO, you'd be better off buying Chauvet's Q Spot 260 LED's. Under a grand, as bright as the Mac 250's, Dual gobo wheels (one rotating and indexing) rotating prism and DMX focus. All in a 30 pound package drawing 153 watts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back