mini zoom for moon?

Stuart R

Hello all -

Me again. Hope it's ok to start two threads in one day.

I'm trying to change an ordinary round window (about 30" in diameter) into a glowing moon, where the moon is visible from both sides. I've seen posts about people building moon boxes our of plywood, with hidden LEDs making an acetate moon image glow from behind. This wouldn't work for what I'm trying to do. Instead, I'm wondering if I can buy a custom printed acetate moon image (30" wide), affix it to the window, and then shine a light on it from one side. It would glow on the opposite side, and be illuminated on the first side.

The trick is in figuring out what light to use. To avoid keystoning, I could install the light directly in front of the window (there is a hidden cover that would work for this purpose), but I'm not sure how to get the light to the exact diameter I need. [If it's bigger than the window, the effect will be spoiled on that side.] It needs to be a wide-angle beam, since it's about a 4' throw to a 30" wide circle. Is there a wee little light available someplace that I could stick in the cove, point at the window, and adjust the zoom until it's exactly the right size?

Finally, while I can call around to see who can print out 30" acetate prints, I'm at a loss of where to find a high-def image online that I can download for the print job. It'd have to be a rather large file to show reasonable detail in a 30" wide image.

You guys are great problem solvers -- any thoughts?

Thanks!

Altman make the micro elipse, it's a zoom fixture, they also have an LED version, which is what I would probably go with to make extra sure you don't end up burning a hole in it. A 36* source 4 mini might also do the trick if you have a little wiggle room on light placement. To get a 30" circle from 4' should require a 35* lens, so your basically right there with a 36*. You may need to move it slightly closer or further away though to dial it in perfectly.

Does your moon need to move with time an initial question?

Spotting from the front can add intensity depending on what media the moon is, (added UV?) but can also wash it out from what ever rear lighting is done - be it focus spot on it or general wash. Very careful thing to do or program if that moon is to be moving. Media lit also a factor.

Last edited:
For images, search on Flickr. They have many creative commons photos that you can download and use with program credit. Search moon and in advanced search select large for image size. Remember that high def is only an issue if you're right next to the image. From the first row of the house, high def and standard def are going to look pretty similar.

I've used drop in manual irises on Source 4's before, and I know there were Altmans that had them built in. Maybe there's an accessory for one of your existing fixtures that would let you size it for your application?

Hello all -

Finally, while I can call around to see who can print out 30" acetate prints, I'm at a loss of where to find a high-def image online that I can download for the print job. It'd have to be a rather large file to show reasonable detail in a 30" wide image.

Thanks!

Two of my loves in one thread.

As an astronomer, I am fairly sure I can get a hi res image of the moon for you, even if I have to take it myself.
One question which some may not see as relevant... Where on the planet is the scene set?

Paul

Here is a nice image of the moon. It was taken from space, so it is sharper and more detailed than anything taken from here.
This is as it would be seen from North America or much of Europe however, if there are any pedants in the audience, they might point out that you can see a little of the 'dark' side here that cannot be seen from Earth.

HTH
Moon From Space.jpg

Last edited:
Nice image, can It be moved as the night goes on? Will that image realistically be over the corse of the night, perhaps change some in the image of it over a period of time prersay given clouds etc? Will this correct graphic image, within the sense of "the play" become distracting from it's purpose of showing it "a moon" balance over just a white dot on a cyc? Does the audience require an actual image of the moon as per required by the intent of the script so as to parallel something attention is needed to be for stage in computation to the talent? Will it supplement the intent of the scene?

No offense meant, playing debating role as it were in questioning the need or presenting opposing questions. If the Moon is a key set piece to act agains.... Moon's moving closer to us say, such an image to project verses paint (get graphically reproduced) a question for the production budget. If just the moon say in "Sound of Music"... good debate perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back