Music Classes

It might help you hit cues more accurately, and follow musical scores of course. Theoretically it might also improve your "ear" for sound in terms of tone and quality, but that's a stretch.

Edit: if "theory" doesn't involve playing an instrument, scratch the accurate cues thing.

Yes. Music theory is the building blocks for any music education. I have always thought that anyone who is going into stage management for musical theatre or going into any type of sound discipline should be able to both read music and play the piano/another instrument. Almost all recording programs at most schools will require a music instrument along with music theory. Many sound design programs are also doing that.

And... yes... music theory SUCKS. Its pure torture. However, it will really help you down the line. If you can't speak the language of music, how do you ever think you will be able to have a real conversation with a music director or a band? Just like its best to take dance classes if you want to design lights for dance, it helps to take music classes if you want to work with musicians. We all have our own language in this industry. Communication is everything. If you can't communicate "hey, on the 15th bar, that A# is not coming through, lets work on that"... you really got nothing. Yes, that exact phrasing might not be used but you need to be able to speak musicly. You also need to learn to listen as a musician. Music theory does both of those. For a stage manager, it will teach you not only to read, but it will teach how to break down a piece. Both areas will benefit greatly. Do it.

How much training would be recommended and where would the best place to get it from?

Footer said it right.

When I was in college (of course, there were fewer notes back then), all music majors were required to take Physics:Acoustics to fulfill their science requirement. The instructor geared the course toward the music students. I was fine and they were lost when we were calculating RT60 times and such, but the situation reversed itself when we got to the Circle of Fifths. I want to know what sadist invented that cockamamie, unproven "theory".:evil:

How much training would be recommended and where would the best place to get it from?

At least 2 semesters would probably do it. I do suggest the piano thing, you would be amazed how much that helps. (If I could go back to my 4 year old self, I would have convinced my mother to put me in piano classes instead of handing me a little violin.) There is also ear training that many sound design programs require... now that is torture!

What as the purpose of this thread? Are you trying to get out of taking the classes or you trying to convince someone to let you take the classes? If so, your the first person ever that wants to take music theory, congratulations. Are you looking at going to college for sound or stage management? Almost any music program worth its salt will allow you to take their music theory classes even if your not in a music program. Hell, some universities allow you to use it as your math requirement (mine did). Music theory is kind of like grammar, anyone who has a firm grasp of it should be able to teach it. I don't think I have ever heard someone say "go to X school, they teach some great theory". So, go wherever, take the class, and go forth into the world.

I completely agree, you should take it. Even with a good teacher in high school you'll likely get a college level primer to music theory (bonus points if it's an AP course). When you dive in, it really does suck, it's hard, it's foreign and at times boring. But very rewarding once you start to get it, especially when you start to use it outside of the classroom. Once you get to college you should continue it. As Footer and Derekleffew said, it will help you greatly as a stage manager. I took it in high school from the stand point of composition, but it has helped me with lighting design. Oh, it also helps you understand the jokes coming from the pit.

If you are designing lights, running sound or stage managing for an opera or opera-like musical (think Les Miserables, where there is virtually no unsung dialog), at least knowing how to read music will be extremely helpful. This will allow you to write your cues in to the score (piano vocals) instead of written text. Many cues in these types of shows occur on a musical 'chord', thus would be hard to take as a sight or line cue.

Same goes for dance. It may be harder to acquire the music, but a lot of those are either musical cues or movement cues (where dance classes would come in handy).

If you are designing lights, running sound or stage managing for an opera or opera-like musical (think Les Miserables, where there is virtually no unsung dialog), at least knowing how to read music will be extremely helpful. This will allow you to write your cues in to the score (piano vocals) instead of written text. Many cues in these types of shows occur on a musical 'chord', thus would be hard to take as a sight or line cue.

This. I ran sound for Don Giovanni a few months ago, in the original Italian. If I had not been able to read music, there is no way on Earth I could have done that show. Apart from simply knowing who is about to start singing and when, knowing at least a bit of theory is invaluable for bringing out the nuances in the music.

I did a female quartet that kept swinging parts during the song. It meant I had to adjust their mics according to who needed to be highlighted and whose voice was stronger. I asked for the sheet music and then started asking questions like who had the G in the fifth measure. I was mixing from under the speakers so the sound was going over my head so I really needed the music.

I'm a drummer and I love music theory. I'm the best in my year at it. Maybe playing an instrument that hardly requires it makes me appreciate it more, I dunno.

I know you guys are talking about sound, but in terms of lighting maybe not full music theroy, but good aural skills are helpful. The interlude that opens Act II in West Side Story is 72 bars long and I had to count them out myself before I brought the lights up, because in my school there is no such thing as being on headset with the SM. Knowing how to read music, as well as a good ear while possibly listening to the orchestra or a recording can give you a deeper understanding of the feeling/message/whatever in a musical. This would put you in an even better position to design lighting in such a way that brings out the emotion of the music.

Last edited:
As well as working in lighting, I am also, and primarily, a conductor. In fact, I just finished LDing and conducting Bye Bye Birdie. Anyways, I'm LDing for Les Miserables next month and knowing how to read/conduct music is SUPER helpful when calling a show that is entirely music based. For instance, it's really helpful to understand the concept of upbeats and downbeats, melodic phrasing, and rhythm.

EDIT:
Now I don't know wether taking music classes will help you with these things (because I don't know your music program) but if you understand the basics, it will get you far.

I can't tell you how many times I have wished I could read music.

I'll take this topic a step further and say anyone who plans to work on musical theater or concerts will find their job easier if they have some musical knowledge. Think about how many tasks backstage or in the booth can be triggered by a specific musical cue. Being able to speak the language of music at even a basic level will make you a better technician for many different jobs.

Things like "at the crescendo" will make much more sense if you know what they mean as far as taking cues and such.

EDIT: There is also an advantage if you happen to be given a musical score instead of a script. A music theory class should show you how to read music, so like the example below, you can find measure 81 quickly.

Last edited:
It's all about communication. As a stage manager working on a musical, it is helpful to be able to converse with the music director in musical terms, rather than "you know, that part near the end where you it gets really loud." During tech, telling the orchestra to "start from the fermata before measure 81" is preferable to trying to figure out how to describe where you are talking about to the musicians.

As a sound op, I feel that it is helpful to understand some music theory when conversing with the conductor and music director when deciding how things should sound. Understanding that something intended to be played pianissimo (very quiet) should not be hitting 100 dB is helpful as well. It will hopefully give you an understanding of how the music should sound based on the score, which you can then use to plan how you will mix the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back