Old Gear??

TechGeek

Stop! Don't throw out that old gear! I am a high school student trying to get his own gear. Let me know what you have and the asking price.

Whether it's sound, lights, drapes, truss, I'll be happy to take it!

Thank You!

ebay can be another good source for used gear, there is also lots of cheap chinese LED stuff on ebay too. It's not the greatest quality, but can be plenty bright and get the job done. You have to think of them as being disposable though, once they break odds are you aren't going to be able to get parts to fix them.

www.soundbroker.com - don't let the name fool you as they have quite a bit of lighting gear and will often deal
www.gearsource.com - another brokered site depending upon what you are looking for

Also you may want to check with your state surplus property office. Here in Kentucky they hold auctions several times a year and often times old theatrical gear goes cheap but isn't often sold.

Also, be wary of used drape. You'll want to be certain to take fire certs into account.

Keep an eye on eBay. I get absolutely killer gear deals by knowing what I'm looking for and looking at the right time. Variety in keywords is key as the cheap listings often don't know what they're listing so they don't know how to list it properly for people to find it.

Keep an eye on eBay. I get absolutely killer gear deals by knowing what I'm looking for and looking at the right time. Variety in keywords is key as the cheap listings often don't know what they're listing so they don't know how to list it properly for people to find it.
I've been keeping an eye out on ebay, but just some of the people over price the gear. They think that because they kept it in good condition that they can sell it at the same cost to buy it new, especially when the product is like 40+ years old, I know lekos and pars can take good beatings but sometimes for the prices they ask I'm better off buying new.

I have been looking at usedlight.com, solarisnetwork.com, soundbroker.com, lightbroker.com, and I have seen some goods in my price range but a lot of it is either expensive shipping or it sells right away.

I have been finding amazing deals on used drapes, I don't mind having to patch up little holes, but I know I don't want to but something with mildew and rot... Fire retardant is not a problem for me, I would mind sending my drapes out every year to get treated.

Does anyone know theater auction houses in NJ?? I think I could find some really good stuff their for a bargain. I went to a summer camp 3 years ago and almost all their gear they bought from auctions in NJ or NY.

I've been keeping an eye out on ebay, but just some of the people over price the gear. They think that because they kept it in good condition that they can sell it at the same cost to buy it new, especially when the product is like 40+ years old, I know lekos and pars can take good beatings but sometimes for the prices they ask I'm better off buying new.

I have been looking at usedlight.com, solarisnetwork.com, soundbroker.com, lightbroker.com, and I have seen some goods in my price range but a lot of it is either expensive shipping or it sells right away.

I have been finding amazing deals on used drapes, I don't mind having to patch up little holes, but I know I don't want to but something with mildew and rot... Fire retardant is not a problem for me, I would mind sending my drapes out every year to get treated.

Does anyone know theater auction houses in NJ?? I think I could find some really good stuff their for a bargain. I went to a summer camp 3 years ago and almost all their gear they bought from auctions in NJ or NY.

Ebay is a mixed bag, yeah some stuff is overpriced, but there is also stuff that is way under priced. You just have to keep an eye out and check every day for new stuff. There are a lot of people that sell gear they find in storage units, or they clean out places that have gone out of business. They don't really know what they have and just throw it up cheap instead of researching what they have.

As far as treating drapes, it's usually done every 10-20 years depending on the treatment applied. You'll find that it's very expensive though, sometimes as much as half the cost of brand new soft goods. You may find some ifr soft goods that would be good though since they won't require flame treatment.

I've got an ETC Insight 108 for sale. It's in very good condition. Included is the color monitor. I bought it for a project but went with a different board. It isn't really set up for movers. It's a great memory board with 108 submaster and channel sliders. A button allows you to switch from sub to chan. Check it out on eBay. I'm asking $1000 for it plus shipping. In your case I would pay the shipping for you from California. As far as I can tell it's fully functional and was owned by a church before me. It is not beat up at all.

I've got an ETC Insight 108 for sale. It's in very good condition. Included is the color monitor. I bought it for a project but went with a different board. It isn't really set up for movers. It's a great memory board with 108 submaster and channel sliders. A button allows you to switch from sub to chan. Check it out on eBay. I'm asking $1000 for it plus shipping. In your case I would pay the shipping for you from California. As far as I can tell it's fully functional and was owned by a church before me. It is not beat up at all.
I'm good on console's at the moment... Getting a hog 1K for about $2500 and have a Animator MLC48.

FYI I've noticed a lot of Studio Colors and Studio Spots in eBay in the 5 to $600 range and some includeing dbl case when you buy 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back