PA Hum????

emac

Ok so here is my problem...

when I do events at my school and at other venues I plug everything in to my Peavey RQ 200 and then send the outs to a mix of different PAs to run the sound. Usually I have at least one mic running into the board and one or two computer inputs. Non of the cable I use are balanced.

When I run this type of set up I usually come across a hum from my speakers which I want to eliminate.

I talked to a person that is supposed to be knoladgable with this type of stuff and he said to plug everything into a power conditioner and run balanced cables.

Will this help?

and where should I run balanced cables? from the mics to the board? from my laptop to the board? from the board to the PAs? from the PAs to the speakers????

There are two basic ways to keep from getting a hum or "ground loop". Usually the hum occurs at 60hz (low bass hum), which just happens to be the same frequency AC power uses.

One way is to make sure you have clean power coming in. A power conditioner will help with this. Even more so clean power will help. If a sound system and a lighting system are on the same transformer or the same distro this can cause havoc in a sound system. Same thing goes for HVAC systems or gymnasium/florescent lights. The best practice is to always use a power conditioner and always make sure the console, amplifier, and other gear are all hookup up to the same leg of power. It is pretty common to see a snake ran with a AC line alongside just to keep everything on the same power.

Along with the power issues, you want to make sure all of your gear uses a common ground. Balanced cables such as 1/4" TRS and XLR cables are the way to do this. All input cable should be properly shielded. The third connector (pin 1 or sleeve) in a balanced connector ensures every piece of gear shares a common ground and therefore any electrical annoyance in the system is equalized through out the entire system.

Literally one bad cable that is not properly grounded can cause a hum in a multi million dollar sound system.

Along with the power issues, you want to make sure all of your gear uses a common ground. Balanced cables such as 1/4" TRS and XLR cables are the way to do this. All input cable should be properly shielded. The third connector (pin 1 or sleeve) in a balanced connector ensures every piece of gear shares a common ground and therefore any electrical annoyance in the system is equalized through out the entire system.

By all input cables you mean everything going into the mixer??? or???

Tape/CD/ipod cables do not need to be balanced, though its nice if they can be (only professional CD players have balanced outputs). Microphones do need to be balanced. Lines going out of the mixer into the amplifier do need to be balanced. Lines going from amp to the speakers do not need to be balanced.

Tape/CD/ipod cables do not need to be balanced, though its nice if they can be (only professional CD players have balanced outputs). Microphones do need to be balanced. Lines going out of the mixer into the amplifier do need to be balanced. Lines going from amp to the speakers do not need to be balanced.

This is SUPER help full and clears a lot of things up...

Thanks Footer

Usually the hum occurs at 60hz (low bass hum), which just happens to be the same frequency AC power uses.

I'm not sure if it's what you were getting at, but this certainly isn't coincidence. AC power in the US cycles at 60Hz, so effectively a 60Hz sine wave is being added to your system.

One way is to make sure you have clean power coming in. A power conditioner will help with this.

The best practice is to always use a power conditioner and always make sure the console, amplifier, and other gear are all hookup up to the same leg of power. It is pretty common to see a snake ran with a AC line alongside just to keep everything on the same power.

The power conditioner does little to help here other than acting as a glorified power strip which ensures that a common ground has been made. And, although you want them on the same circuit, amplifiers should not be powered through a conditioner. The inrush current pulled by multiple amplifiers can often trip the breaker in the conditioner and the switches in them are generally not designed for this amount of current inrush. Not to mention that most of them are breakered at 15 amps, which prevents you from using the full 20 available in most outlets.

Even more so clean power will help. If a sound system and a lighting system are on the same transformer or the same distro this can cause havoc in a sound system. Same thing goes for HVAC systems or gymnasium/florescent lights. The best practice is to always use a power conditioner and always make sure the console, amplifier, and other gear are all hookup up to the same leg of power. It is pretty common to see a snake ran with a AC line alongside just to keep everything on the same power.

A power conditioner cannot 'clean' the EM interference generated by these sorts of devices. This is what balanced connections are for, and, in extreme cases, what quad-core cabling is for.

Actually, balanced cables increase the probability of having a ground-loop (This does NOT mean that they should be avoided. Any cable run over ~15 ft should be balanced) as can be seen in the diagram here:

Ground loop basics

The connection of the chasis' creates a second path to ground, or a 'loop.' Thus, ground loop.

Couple of troubleshooting ideas:

Start by connecting everything possible to the same outlet via power-strips or preferably quad-boxes (or a power conditioner for that matter). If you can get an extension cord that runs from the same circuit as the 'other' PA's, even better.

After re-reading the OP, my guess is that most of the problem is coming from the laptop power supplies. Run the laptops off battery and see if you still have the hum. If not, you need an isolation transformer between the laptops and the mixer. If the hum is still present, it's likely a ground loop.

Not to hijack...but why are the amplifier and pa links red and go to "create new article"?? I don't think that link will help the OP.
Yea, I've noticed the automatic wiki links don't always work too well... it's actually kinda funny, tbh...

Uh... back on topic....
It might help to go through items one-by-one to find the "source" of the hum... start with only cable to house system, then your mixer, then one mic, another, computer, etc. etc.... this should help find the hum...

Actually, balanced cables increase the probability of having a ground-loop (This does NOT mean that they should be avoided. Any cable run over ~15 ft should be balanced) as can be seen in the diagram here:

To throw my hat in here, as far as I understand, balanced cables shouldn't help or hurt a ground loop situation. Both balanced and unbalanced cables (say TRS vs. TS) carry a ground line which is what has the potential of creating a ground loop. Or am I forgetting something?

As far as this all relates to the original poster's problem:
1. Balanced lines for anything line level and below may well help with interference. (personally, I try to use balanced line for everything except amp-speaker runs whenever possible)

2. If a ground loop specifically is the problem, another thing to try (after actually trying to assure everything is on the same ground) would be ground lifting some of the cabling either through ground lifted adapters, re-soldering some of your cable, or some audio gear has on-board switching for ground lifting.

-Arshan

To throw my hat in here, as far as I understand, balanced cables shouldn't help or hurt a ground loop situation. Both balanced and unbalanced cables (say TRS vs. TS) carry a ground line which is what has the potential of creating a ground loop. Or am I forgetting something?

-Arshan
"Unbalenced" cables usually short (combine) the signal '-' and the ground, while "balenced" cables have a seperate, dedicated line for it (usually the shielding around the twisted pair)

The whole discussion of Power conditioners makes for very interesting reading, On the pro side of things, most folks think many of the claims made are suspect. You might want to look at

PSW Sound Reinforcement Forums: LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board => Surgex vs Furman SMP

Most of the time you do not have the option of using balanced cables to interconnect the pa's If you DO them by all means use them, but at the same time I would say that there are two possible issues that are causing your problems

One is grounds that are not all the same, you could test this by trying to run all the systems off the same outlet. Older buildings can have all sort of outlet ground issues

The second one that is very common is Laptop power supply issues. if you disconnect the laptop and the hum goes away then you have found your problem. There are a lot of discussions re what to do if that is the case, some of us are willing to take the risk and try to remove the AC ground ONLY on the laptop power supply (NEVER EVER ON THE REST OF THE PA SYSTEM)

Hum and buzz keeps us busy

Sharyn

Usually I have at least one mic running into the board and one or two computer inputs.

You said you have one or two computer inputs. How are they hooked up? Do you have any sort of a DI box between the computer and the board? From my experience you will get a hum if you do not have a DI Box (with the switch set to ground).

The whole discussion of Power conditioners makes for very interesting reading, On the pro side of things, most folks think many of the claims made are suspect. You might want to look at

PSW Sound Reinforcement Forums: LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board => Surgex vs Furman SMP

I wondered about that... it's an interesting read.

If the marketing (of Furman) is indeed as bad as those people make it out to be, it would certainly be of interest to me...
If, however, the products DO work as advertised, and people just want to think they're that important by buying more expensive gear, well, that's also of note to me...

To sum up, I'll take it with a grain of salt, but is it iodized or natural sea salt?

To sum up, I'll take it with a grain of salt, but is it iodized or natural sea salt?

Haha, let's agree to disagree on this? I simply cannot bring myself to believe that a 'magic box' makes everything in my system work better. That having been said, all of my processing racks have power conditioners in them. Why? They are an incredibly convenient source of outlets, lights, and may even do some good in terms of fidelity (honestly can't tell though).

At the end of the day though, I firmly believe that a Power Conditioner is NOT the solution to the OP's problem and I don't want him running off and spending money on something he doesn't need.

P.S: I never trust a manufacturers website to tell me why I need their product.

I think most people buy the Furman units as a rack mounted strip with some lights and a meter reading in a lot of situations. I for one also use the tripplite power units that basically level the ac voltage via a transformer switching system. I also agree that this is NOT likely to be a problem solved via any sort of strip.

It could be a bad cable, poor ground, or laptop power supply

Sharyn

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back