POLL! What type of rigging system do you have for flown items?

What type of rigging system do you have for flown items?

• Hemp Rigging

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Counterweight, single purchase

Votes: 37 40.7%
  • Counterweight, double purchase

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • Motorized rigging

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • A combination of the above systems

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • What, rigging? I can't fly anything...

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.5%

• Total voters
20 Single Purchase Counterweighted Linesets
Max Cap. per batten = 1825lbs
Arbor Length: 8 ft.
Plate Width: 6 in.
Max Trim: 42 ft.
Min Trim: 4 ft.
Pipe Length: (1 - 16) 56 ft; (17 - 20) 51 ft. 6 in.
9 ft. spacing between lift lines with 6 - 8 lines per batten
Arbor Pit Depth: 5 ft.

I work in two venues; one has no flying capability and the other has:
79 single-purchase linesets plus a pan bar (also single purchase) on each side
Spaced at 180mm centres
500kg load per lineset
250kg max point load
17m drift (proscenium at 7.3m)
Flown from either floor level or first gallery (although to the best of my knowledge, in the five years since this system was put in, only one show has been flown from gallery level!) on OP

One of the theatres I work in is hemp (well a rope-and-sandbag system with Stage Set X) with about 40 linesets. Some 3, 4, and 5 line sets. Operates from a pin rail above stage level. You get a lot of excercise and I think it's a great thing to learn to do. I think it's fun that it's a lot like sailing.

About 30 years ago they did put in 8 counterweight linesets. Valence, main rag, 3 electrics and 3 orchestra ceilings. With only 3 electrics we're usually building one or two on hemp anyway.

Two Black Box 3/4 modified Pro-thrusts. One has a 16' High 6' sq. grid installed by yours truly. The other has a 4' grid at 14'6" Installed by Stagecraft Industries Inc.

I Ain't got no Stinking Fly System, 'Cause I don't need no stinking Fly System !

8 dead hung electrics, nothing for scenery although electrics can sometimes play double duty. We also have exposed structural I beams in some spots that have been inspected/rated to support other stuff so we can occasionally rent truss and motors and fly stuff that way. Rarely do so because of budgets and the fact that the venue just isn't very tall.

We have 21 single purchase line sets
2 of them are for SL & SR Masking
60' batten length
10' arbors, so battens stop 4'9" off the deck and several feet short of the grid:evil:
3 Motors for Electrics
3 Motors for Shell Ceilings
1 Motor for our 17' x 32' Screen (Takes 65 seconds from stop to stop):(

Sean...

I work in two theatres. My university theatre, built in 1995, has ~30 single-purchase linesets with a loading bridge, with a pinrail for when we occasionally rig additional points.

The other theatre I work in is a 1926 Saenger vaudeville/movie house. It is a hemp/sandbag house, and has been fitted with three single-purchase linesets for electrics.

Can't remember most of the details, but here are the basics:

Theatre built 1928, rigging last worked on (perhaps first installed) in 1982. Current setup has 22 single-purchase linesets, 1800# capacity (has been successfully used to 1500#), 58' batten width, 4' minimum height, 54' grid / rough out trim. Either 8' or 10' arbor, 8" centers, several "missing" sets (originally designed for electrics clearance). Scary, NO loading bridge; we finally got a 1000# winch after the 2009 remodel which we used to move out of weight sets until we can weight them properly. Regardless, only the TD, ATD, and I are allowed to run the winch as this is a community theatre.

at my school we have a wonderful fly system, but only eight feet above our fourteen foot precenium. we have roughly thirty battens spaced roughly eight inches apart.
4 electrics
3 tops
4 sides
3 traveler curtains, including the act curtain.
on projection screen.
and one peice of white canvas wrapped around a batten that no one knows what it is, and i haven't had the time to bring it down and look for my self.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back