Problem - House lights flickering/blinking

jagwirez

We have recently seen an issue with our dimmer rack causing all dimmers (house lights, pars, lekos) to flicker randomly or blink all at once. Sometimes it does it a few times at once or might blink once within a minute. This only happens while DMX is controlling the lights. The wall faders (small voltage override) do not cause this problem, just dmx control. I have plugged my laptop into the dimmer directly and experienced the same problem. I have used two different types of usb/dmx adapters, and only the dimmers, not the automated lights, will have problems. The rack is a EDI Mark VII. The only thing that I know I did before this started to happen was I pulled out a dimmer, probably been in there for years, and had to rock on that thing to get it out. So I dont know if the movement did anything or stirred up dust? Thank you for any advice!

Taylor

The EDI Mark VII has a control box called a "Multi LINK" depending on the number of dimmers that you have in the rack, there can be one or two circuit boards in the box. Each circuit board can control a total of 60 dimmers. A fully loaded Mark VII rack if using 20 amp and smaller dimmers would be 120 dimmers. If the flickering occurs on all 120 dimmers, then there has to be something wrong with the signal from the console, or really dirty power in the facility. If the flickering only occurs on the first or last 60 dimmers but not on both, then it is in the control portion of the circuit board such as the input data transceiver or cpu. If it is on only 1/3 of the dimmers on the circuit board, then it is the zero crossing detector circuit for that phase of power.
The multilink boards were developed before DMX had a really good foot in the door. They were developed to handle AMX192, CMX, early DMX and a patchpanel that allowed 10 channels of 0 to 10 vdc analog. As a consequence, the transceiver chips are for RS 422. DMX will operate on RS 422, but not as reliably as on RS 485. The transceiver chips for RS 422 can be damaged if power is applied to the device dending the data before the receiving device, or in this case the multilink controller. When I arrived at our theatre about 8 & 1/2 years ago, our Mark VII was having to be repaired several times a year. I modified the input to the multilink boards to use the 75176 RS 485 data tranceiver chip. I also put a relay that was normally open on the data line. The relay made contact for the data when phase A ( the main power for the multilink) was turned on. This in turn kept data off of the input Tranceiver until it was powered. I also installed power surge protection on each of the three phases going into the multilink. In the last 8 years we have never had a failure. The Mark VII is a good solid rack, but it was designed a little early in the DMX cycle. I understand that getting service on the multilink boards is near impossible. In reviewing the schematics for those circuit boards, everything is still available at a component level, except possible the CPU and the ROM with the main software. The board is much more complex than it needs to be in order to support the different inputs and formats.
I don't know that this is information that will help you much, but it might help you to understand what to look at by establishing patterns to the troubles that you are having, and from there you can possibly narrow it down for servicing.

We had a similar problem when we transitioned from a lighting console to PC DMX control. Our EDI dimmer packs would not co-exist with any automated or LED fixtures. We ended up getting a optical splitter from Elm Video Technology. DMX 512 Optically Isolated Splitter | ELM Video Technology

Once we isolated the dimmer pack DMX feed from our other fixtures, the issues went away. We now have the 3 dimmer packs plus 27 automated or LED fixtures and do not have any data issues. Trust me- we pulled our hair out at first trying to integrate the dimmer packs for PC based control because of this issue.

Fixed the issue. We traced it down to the control board in the rack. Luckily our rack, EDI Mark VII, has 2 boards. One for channels 1-60 and the other one for channels 61-120. We only have 60 dimmers installed, so we swapped the boards and it took care of the flickering. This will hopefully last us for a while, but the next step will be to get the Retrofit for the rack, but we're looking at $8k for that, so we're going to go as long as we can with what we have.

I like those Johnson Systems retrofits. They aren't too hard to install by yourself either. We did it during a renovation at my old venue several years back on 5 Strand CD-80 racks that were AMX. I think the first one took two of us 45 minutes and the remaining 4 took us only about an hour. The first one took some time to ensure that we were doing everything properly. After we re-energized the rack and it tested out ok, we shut everything back down and started on the last 4 racks. That time includes the gutting of the old to replace with the new.

Funny I saw this thread. We just put in a new lighting system in our auditorium/theater. One of the pars was randomly cycling through all the colors. Could not trace the problem, Syracuse Scenery sent us a new one...arrived twenty minutes ago....hope this solves the problem, have a show tomorrow night.

Fixed the issue. We traced it down to the control board in the rack. Luckily our rack, EDI Mark VII, has 2 boards. One for channels 1-60 and the other one for channels 61-120. We only have 60 dimmers installed, so we swapped the boards and it took care of the flickering. This will hopefully last us for a while, but the next step will be to get the Retrofit for the rack, but we're looking at $8k for that, so we're going to go as long as we can with what we have.

FYI: One of the EDI engineers has set up a repair business. Welcome to the Frontpage EDI made very solid dimmers. I expect repair would be far cheaper than $8K and might last as long.

FYI: One of the EDI engineers has set up a repair business. Welcome to the Frontpage EDI made very solid dimmers. I expect repair would be far cheaper than $8K and might last as long.

And an awesome guy he is. I've said it many times before, but Alan Child is great - will talk to you for hours and is very friendly. He also knows EVERYTHING about EDI gear - he had the terminal strip layout of my wall stations memorized (and they were made in 1988!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back