Putting wires back into Altman 360Q socket

Emaline

Hi, I have an Altman 360 socket that the wires have come out of. Is this fixable? (You can't actually see them in the picture, but they've slipped down passed the white part) Thanks for any help you can give!

Attachments

• 1603824738939-1349592300.jpg
    1603824738939-1349592300.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 188
Are you sure the actual white teflon wires have come out of the socket? They look like they are still attached. The black fiberglas heat sleeving over the wires is not designed to go in to the same holes the wires go in. The sleeving usually just butts up against the white ceramic.

I can feel the wires in there, and they definitely end at the end of the black part of the sleeving. The white part is empty. They were in there when I started working on it (the ground wire had broken off), then I noticed they had slipped out after a bit.

If the wires really have come out of the socket you'll have to buy a new ceramic socket. I dont think you can reinstall them without some more specialized equipment. I'm sure @ship has done it, but is it worth it?

You can’t. Get a new socket. When you do rip the back off the old one and inspect and document what happen. So they don’t come out again.

Yea, I probably have - but only for R&D, not use. I do remember removing grommets holding the thing together at one point.
Can't re-surface them so no point of other than replacing them.

Agreed the fiberglass sleeving looks like it has slipped out of the holes. Push while twisting them back into the holes. Would be more concerned about the lamp base actual contacts.

Last edited:
Hi, I have an Altman 360 socket that the wires have come out of. Is this fixable? (You can't actually see them in the picture, but they've slipped down passed the white part) Thanks for any help you can give!
Hi Emaline. I'm sure you're way past this by now, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I have attached an image of the TP-22 socket that fits the 360Q. Since we can't see the other side of the socket you are dealing with, I'm not positive that this is the socket you have in your burner assembly. Based on the relative size, you may actually have the TP-220. the main difference is that the TP-220 has heat fins on the other side to aid in dissipating heat. Unfortunately, no one is making the TP-220 anymore, so you would have to replace it with the TP-22. The socket is the same, it just doesn't have the heat fins.

So, to the issue of the wires and sleeving, the wires in the photo are covered in a woven fiber jacket. The woven jacket is actually inside the porcelain base in the photo and not just butted up against the porcelain at the point where I have drawn arrows. In your photo, it appears that the older socket either had loose fitting woven jackets over each lead or it has deteriorated to the point that it is pulling apart and expanding. If the woven jacket and/or the wires have pulled out, then you cannot repair that. The socket must be replaced. Honestly, if it that has happened, then the socket is quite old and it should be replaced regardless. That fiber sleeve that is installed over the leads is definitely deteriorating because I can see where it has broken. There is tape around it in the nearer part in the photo and that tore away from the point at the cap farther down in the photo. When you replace the socket, you will also need to install new high temperature sleeving to protect the leads. Part of that process will involve removing Heyco strain relief that snaps into the cap to secure the leads in place and keep the leads from being pulled out of the cap. Depending on how cooperative that part is about coming out you may or may not be able to re-use it. You may want to plan to have a spare. Below are links to the parts I've mentioned so that you have a visual. Hopefully this helps in maintaining your inventory. The 360Q may be old, but it's a workhorse and there are much worse fixtures out there.:)

--wait--no pic. Here's the manufacturer: https://www.techflex.com/high-temperature/insultherm-tru-fit
Ugh. Why are there no pics! :wall: Here's the spec sheet from Heyco.

Attachments

• TP22.jpg
    TP22.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 124

Users who are viewing this thread

Back