Question for lighting directors/operators

Koopdaddy

When you are designing a light program for a show, is there any theory applied to what you decide to do? Or is it purely creative and up to the imagination?

I am asking this because I have been asked to operate the light control for a show next week and I have no idea if someone is creating a show file to use. I know how to plug in lights but I no nothing of lighting theory or programming a controller (I am an audio guy).

Any reading material or suggestions? This is going to be a youth event with live band so I imagine it will be loud. :)

I have no idea what the equipment is yet, I am trying to arrange a meeting with the facility.

Thanks,
Jared

Programming:

To some extent. There are some things you are supposed to know such as: programming cues into the console, DMX512 (32 devices and terminate last one in daisy chain) , patching luminaires to a console, Dimmers ( example: how many watts you can put on 10 amps), Switchpacks and basic rigging.

Design:

Loads of theory, I would recommend reading Richard Pilbrow's book Stage Lighting Design

Last edited:
If I am designing, I use the following chart to help:

- make sure you can see the actors
- add colour/texture (sidelight, breakups etc)
- any special effects (moving lights etc)

Hope that is of some help.

Remember your priorities.

1) Don't burn down the building
2) Satisfy the Producer/Director
3) Satisfy yourself.

In that order.

Once you get more information we can help more.

Are you talking about a concert? I don't really know any theory so I just go off of what's in my head. Also really depends on what's available too. What I plan my ideas on are: 1. What's the budget? 2. Will there be haze? 3. What gear do I have available that day? 4. What type of show is it? 5. What did I do last time and how can I improve on it and/or come up with new ideas?

When you are designing a light program for a show, is there any theory applied to what you decide to do? Or is it purely creative and up to the imagination?

There is definitely some theory, but it is largely up to your taste, time frame, equipment, and venue as to how you approach a light design. Personally, I work for a high school and have some type of performance or another in here at least once a week. In order to simplify my life, I have basic set-ups that I use for different types of shows.
For a live band concert, my plan would be to make sure I have a general face wash, then I would use my three overhead battens and would set up three sets of color floods. At this point I would lower the battens so that they are visible to the audience and point the floods on my furthest upstage batten at the audience to use as blinders. Also, put some specials on the drum kit. Drums are very reflective and I love the way they reflect light.

That would be my lazy version that I use if I don't have time to be creative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about a concert? I don't really know any theory so I just go off of what's in my head. Also really depends on what's available too. What I plan my ideas on are: 1. What's the budget? 2. Will there be haze? 3. What gear do I have available that day? 4. What type of show is it? 5. What did I do last time and how can I improve on it and/or come up with new ideas?

Hi,

It is a religious youth rally with live band and speaker. The event is next Wednesday and I was asked to help with the lights yesterday. I have no idea what the equipment is yet and my understanding is they are renting lighting equipment. I have asked to get details as soon as possible so that i can at least start to read up on the controller.

So the answer really is I dont know. Once I get moire information I can start asking for specific ideas. I think the others that have responded answered my general question so that helps.

Thanks!
Jared

Er, there is TONS of theory. Books worth of the stuff. It's no different than painting or writing music; in most cases it's best to learn the basics, get the theory, practice technique, and then layer your own creativity on top of this solid foundation. And, like those arts, there are some people who can just do it on instinct.

To way over-simplify:

For the speaker, the important thing is seeing their face. If they're in one place, like behind a lectern, use one light from the front (and ideally at about a 45 degree vertical angle, so that if it's 20 feet in front, it's 20 feet up), or two such lights, about 30-45 degrees to the right and left. If you can, put a light above or a bit behind to get some highlight. These can all be no color, or low saturation lav, warm, or cool colors. (I love Rosco 54.)

If the speaker is moving around, you'll need an even blend of face light across the whole stage, probably a light every 8' or so.

Or if you have a follow spot, use that.

For the band you want interest. Faces are good but not my top priority. Use very rich colors, and from different angles. (Usually best to get strong, even washes in a few colors that you can blend and change between.) Then if you can, use a less saturated light or two that highlights each player individually (specials). Program the different washes and specials into submaster faders on the board, and improvise during the show.

I remember seeing Nook Schoenfeld's "rules" for when he had a gig with no little to no programming time, etc. It was along the lines of:
1. light the talent
2. light the stage
3 ...

I can't remember the rest and can't find it, but it was pretty good.

There's a lot of theory behind good design, but the problem is you probably won't get a chance to apply too much of it because I'm guessing you don't know the rig, you don't know the set list, you don't know what the talent wants, etc.

Get a few good stage washes, make sure the crowd can see the musicians, make some fun chases. Depending on how much time you have maybe make a punt page. A lot depends on your time availability.

Yeah, a lot of this is largely dependent on time. If you have none, then you won't be focusing lights, cutting gel, writing cues for hours on end. If that's the case, just remember that your lighting is controlling what the audience is seeing. Make sure the actors are lit (especially when speaking on stage), make sure the transitions are smooth from scene to scene, and use this as a basis of learning. Then, when you have time, look up Richard Pilbrow and all his peers, and you'll get your quota of theory.

Well this is what I am told they are renting...

(1) ETC Smartfade ML DMX Controller
(1) Hurricane 1800 Flex Fog
(2) American DJ Motion Gobo DJ Spot moving heads
(2) Chauvet colorpallete
(1) Chauvet Derby X
(1) Chauvet Mayhem
(1) Chauvet colorstrip mini
(1) 20 foot long truss about 10 feet high

Along with (6) Par38's they own.

That isn't very much in the way of lights so I can only assume that this is all in addition to whatever the facility has...and I dont know what that includes.

Jared

I assume by now you have already down loaded the manual.
look up how to patch and load your playbacks.

You won't have time for theory, other than what has been mentioned "always light the speaker / pastor"

As for the band, you will be on the Flash and Trash theory (due to lack of time), so set up your Play backs to have "Looks" of color washes, groups of pars, and chase effects for your specials.

Set some pars for face lights, everything else is for fun and ambiance. The fog/haze is so you can see the beams in the air.

For sound you use your ears, for light use your eyes. if it looks good, it is. if it feels like you are bouncing and flashing as a member of the band, then it is good.

finally, don't ruin a moment in a moment! Smooth song, smooth lights. bouncy song bouncy lights.

You said it is a religious youth meeting, so I will leave you with this quote I picked up along the way.

"If Worship And The Gathering Of God's Community Is As Significant As Eternity Mandates, Then God Is Entitled To Our Best Efforts. Beautiful, Interesting And Captivating Scenic And Lighting Design Helps To Open Hearts So That God's Word And The Holy Spirit May Enter."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back