RGB LED DMX Followspot / Spotlight Recommend

NeroCaesar

Hello,

I searched about and didn't see any relevant (or recent) posts.
Our current followspot is a 19 deg S4 with a 750 lamp which yields 101 foot candles @ 50' (as per website... but I have my doubts)
Its on a full conversion yolk, with an inserted Iris and boomerang for gels in the front.
Our Average throw is 70' to 100'

I am Looking for a Brighter LED RGB DMX controlled spot light, with a manual Iris, but with no boomerang gels, (dowser would be nice)

After searching all my usual spots I could barely find any led spots that are brighter, or many that took 5 pin dmx and none that were RGB light board controlled.

I was thinking about just using an Altman Phx RGBW 250w and 10 deg barrel on the conversion yolk and call it a day, but I was hoping for something more elegant.

Hello,

I searched about and didn't see any relevant (or recent) posts.
Our current followspot is a 19 deg S4 with a 750 lamp which yields 101 foot candles @ 50' (as per website... but I have my doubts)
Its on a full conversion yolk, with an inserted Iris and boomerang for gels in the front.
Our Average throw is 70' to 100'

I am Looking for a Brighter LED RGB DMX controlled spot light, with a manual Iris, but with no boomerang gels, (dowser would be nice)

After searching all my usual spots I could barely find any led spots that are brighter, or many that took 5 pin dmx and none that were RGB light board controlled.

I was thinking about just using an Altman Phx RGBW 250w and 10 deg barrel on the conversion yolk and call it a day, but I was hoping for something more elegant.
@NeroCaesar
Check Altman's AFS500; CB's Gafftaper reported on it favorably at this year's NAMM show. Gaf's report is in his NAMM 2020 posts on Control Booth.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

As a spotlight operator, I *detest* operating a spot that I do not control - i.e. you never know when it will come on, go off, or what color the light will be. Try tracking a target the *entire* show, most of time time without a beam to know where you're pointing. So that leads to things like TelRad, which is fine but you're now a sniper following 100% of the time. It's incredibly fatiguing.

What's the problem besides low light output? If you have operators that can't handle a boomerang or other spot functions I submit they'll fail at tracking their target 100% of the time, too.

Thanks Ronhebbard, I'll look into that one I haven't seen it yet.
Edit: hmm I don't think they have a RGB engine, at least it has Color correction

TimMc, Absolutely I understand, I've been there and in a professional setting I agree.
I should have stated this is for educational theater in High school where the students are usually new to theater (and possibly only in it for the arts credit), and only have a week to learn. We will be adding hunting scopes to the LED units to aid. We have found their tight quarters get unbearably hot if their units are always on and they do have a dowser to control if they need to.

Last edited:
While I hope your right, I think that distracted operators (phones) will be the biggest issue. The second the light douses or dims, the phones will come out. Operating a conventional follow spot ain't exactly difficult (and a Source 4 is much more inconvenient than a real follow spot), it's the "paying attention" that is the hardest part and changing to an LED follow spot doesn't address that issue. Kids are trainable and most of them want to learn at least a little bit...

Good luck in whatever you end up selecting.

While I hope your right, I think that distracted operators (phones) will be the biggest issue. The second the light douses or dims, the phones will come out. Operating a conventional follow spot ain't exactly difficult (and a Source 4 is much more inconvenient than a real follow spot), it's the "paying attention" that is the hardest part and changing to an LED follow spot doesn't address that issue. Kids are trainable and most of them want to learn at least a little bit...

Good luck in whatever you end up selecting.

As someone that primarily works with students I can't second this opinion more. I have trouble getting the kids that are dying to work spots to get off their phone or focus. It the nature of youth, most of them just don't have that skill set yet. Get an easier spot to operate and work with them to become the best operator they can in the time you have. Most will take pride in doing good work if you focus on that that from beginning, some won't and you'll still have your wonky pickups.

You have two options when the op isn't paying attention. A late, maybe slightly off pick up or a spot just blinding a section of your house for no reason and then flinging all over once they realize they are on. I personally prefer the first.

May I suggest a white LED spot with the traditional boomerang. This will reduce the heat load in the area they are and give you more options to meet the intensity you want from a followspot.

In any case, best of luck which ever option and if it does work out, report back.

Thanks Ronhebbard, I'll look into that one I haven't seen it yet.
Edit: hmm I don't think they have a RGB engine, at least it has Color correction

TimMc, Absolutely I understand, I've been there and in a professional setting I agree.
I should have stated this is for educational theater in High school where the students are usually new to theater (and possibly only in it for the arts credit), and only have a week to learn. We will be adding hunting scopes to the LED units to aid. We have found their tight quarters get unbearably hot if their units are always on and they do have a dowser to control if they need to.
@NeroCaesar Try looking at this Altman colored LED follow spot: https://www.google.com/search?q=Alt...QIHadGBeAQ9QEwBnoECAoQBw#imgrc=rfIjeMvOJotizM
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

For a short throw, the new ADJ FS3000 that debuted at LDI looked like a great unit. 12-44 degree 300w warm white COB.

I was at my local dealer last week and saw a neat little LED spot from ( I believe ) Lycan"

It is manual (no DMX anything) with dichroic filters for color. Seems quite bright for med throw applications. Cost was around 1,000.

I don’t see it on the Lycan website but I will try and additional info

Lycan? Is it a werewolf (there wolf, there castle)? Do you mean Lycian?

If your throw is often 75-100', why not get a 5 or 10 degree barrel for your existing setup?

I thought about that, but the main reason was because of the larger size barrel of the 10 and 5 deg.

There is a Gel boomerang on the end that would not fit or be reachable by the ops. I think there was another reason, but its been awhile since I have been able to set it up.

With infrequent searching I still have not found a good option that fits my quirky needs.

What would a 14-degree Source Four be like in your space? The barrel's shorter than a 10-degree, and City Theatrical makes a drop-in boomerang with a 7-1/2" fitting, Cat. No. 1411. (They also make a 6.25 - 7.5" adapter plate, if you already own the boomerangs.) If you put a drop-in iris in that, you'd be able to adjust the beam size as needed, too.

At a 75' throw, it m-i-g-h-t be passable. I think if you're on the 100' throw or longer, the 14-degree would need far too much iris to really be usable.

Altman has an LED followspot (the AFS-700) that looks great on paper, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Might also be something to look at!

Last edited:
What would a 14-degree Source Four be like in your space? The barrel's shorter than a 10-degree and City Theatrical makes a drop-in boomerang with a 7-1/2" fitting, Cat. No. 1411. (They also make a 6.25 - 7.5" adapter plate, if you already own the boomerangs.) If you put a drop-in iris in that, you'd be able to adjust the beam size as needed, too.

At a 75' throw, it m-i-g-h-t be passable. I think if you're on the 100' throw or longer, the 14-degree would need far too much iris to really be usable.

Altman has an LED followspot (the AFS-700) that looks great on paper, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Might also be something to look at!

Thank you for the mention! We also make a manual scroller for the larger follow spots in a 12" and 14" variety. But if reaching the front is an issue that will not help.

I lit "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" and had just a couple of places that follow spot would be used... I cheated.. I hung 2 extremely cheap chinese movers...
but instead of throwing from the back of the house, 1 was on the FOH and the other on the first electric. Gave me a very bright "follow spot" effect..
Pre programmed a few movements when the script has you searching for the "angel of the lord" ... sort of like drum rollll... the family Von Trapp..... ha hemm The family Von Trapp.

Also had the one on the FOH light the podium of the narrator, and even follow her from her seated position to the podium.... simple movement.. not a dance, but very effective.
All with a 50 buck light.. and as bright or brighter than our old follow spot from the back of the auditorium.... No iris...just controlled the size via the throw distance.

Also had a blue spotlight on Mary and Joseph for their very touching moment faded up and down quite nicely... with the same cheap mover.

Blacked out the face because the actress is a minor.. but here's the cheap chinese mover used as spot light. Throw was probably 15 to 20 feet. "Angel of the Lord" on top of the stable. I'm getting a bit misty, because come to think of it, that was our last production before all this

Attachments

• pageant.jpg
    pageant.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 165
Productions? I remember when we used to do those...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back