Roostering

I'll let midwest keep roostering as long as we don't start talking about how big a 6" gel frame is.

Never heard it called roostering, we always called it yoked out. I hate doing, unless it's a permanent position like a catwalk as Mike mentions. Causes all kinds of rigging complications when over stage flying electrics.
In this particular case, shouldn't that be yolk? Yuk yuk yuk. :shifty:

@vitaltheatre , . Do Zip Strips have an integral safety attachment point? I don't see anything among the sheets at https://www.altmanlighting.com/sp_faq/borderlights-micro-strip-r40-zip-strip/ .

Interesting thought Derek. Neither my Altman Zips, nor my ancient L&E Mini-Strips, nor my Altman Ground Cyc's have safety cable attachment points and I can unfortunately state I've never safetied these fixtures nor considered it. Which is odd as I got the GM to purchase a boat load of safety's many years ago for a lot of gear that never had them. We safety EVERY other kind of fixture, but never a strip light. Not sure how I would do it actually.

We will hang instruments with sidearms 90* out on battens. Sometimes it’s to hang on the same batten as a teaser. Then we will use at least two sidearms on the battens, clamped to the batten with the arm straight up next to a line the batten hangs from. Then tie/secure the “stiffener” at the end of the sidearm to the line above the batten (about 18” up) to keep it from rolling. Worked a charm for 5 movers and for another production we had 11 Par64s and Source Fours. The heavier hangs would get 5-7 stiffeners.
This is exactly what I'm used to doing.
Clamp the sidearm onto the batten, affix sidearm to lift line to steady batten.

Initially I remember doing this when a designer wanted barndoors on fresnels focused on the second story of a set, which would've made them hang too low. Yoking them out (also never heard of rooster, but I'm in California) gave us the extra height.
I wouldn't yoke out too many fixtures, however, because then all the torque on your pipe is leveraged by your sidearms and however you affixed them to the lift line.

For the record, if it's a fixed pipe, yoke out all you want.

This is exactly what I'm used to doing.
Clamp the sidearm onto the batten, affix sidearm to lift line to steady batten.

Initially I remember doing this when a designer wanted barndoors on fresnels focused on the second story of a set, which would've made them hang too low. Yoking them out (also never heard of rooster, but I'm in California) gave us the extra height.
I wouldn't yoke out too many fixtures, however, because then all the torque on your pipe is leveraged by your sidearms and however you affixed them to the lift line.

For the record, if it's a fixed pipe, yoke out all you want.
On flown pipes (battens) You can always manufacture a few 3 or 5 foot stiffeners if / when necessary.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I definitely hear it pretty often here in the midwest. I think we're solidly onto a regional term. I wouldn't even come close to saying it is used exclusively, but I rarely run into someone in the area that isn't familiar with it.
Does (or did) Cleveland count as part of the Midwest?" Never heard of a "rooster" in the '50s-'60s-'70s. (Or is this too far back in pre-history?)

I definitely hear it pretty often here in the midwest. I think we're solidly onto a regional term. I wouldn't even come close to saying it is used exclusively, but I rarely run into someone in the area that isn't familiar with it.
Does (or did) Cleveland count as part of the Midwest?" Never heard of a "rooster" in the '50s-'60s-'70s. (Or is this too far back in pre-history?)
In this particular case, shouldn't that be yolk? Yuk yuk yuk. :shifty:

@vitaltheatre , If I understand what you are doing, sounds acceptable. Some would argue that the clamp's pipebolt should always be on the bottom, but structurally, I don't think it matters. Mike's concern about the pipe rotating may or may not be valid, depending on how it's attached to its moorings. Of course, a safety cable at each end of each strip is mandatory. Do Zip Strips have an integral safety attachment point? I don't see anything among the sheets at https://www.altmanlighting.com/sp_faq/borderlights-micro-strip-r40-zip-strip/ . So two options: 1) thread the loop of the safety cable thru an unused hole in the hanging iron, then around the pipe and clipped to itself, or 2) the safety cable goes around both the pipe and the fixture and isn't actually attached to anything. Neither is great, each is better than nothing.

And BTW, rooster is one of the most vague and least-descriptive pieces of jargon ever to come down the pike. Unless one really means "clamp down, fixture above the pipe", "yoked out" or "yoked up" is clearer.
Derek, we always used forged C clamps to hang both "up" & "out," never cast. We used the cast clamps (if we had them) only to hang down. I've used forged clamps on 2' side arms mounted "up" with 2, 2kW lekos mounted "out" from the arm and never had a failure or a bent clamp.

As a son of the Midwest I am well familiar with the term roostering, but I think just telling your electricians to yoke a fixture out is more common.

If a unit is being hung with the clamp directly underneath it, with the yoke vertical, I would call that unit “perched”.

@MNicolai
Yeah, that's where I learned it a decade ago. First time I heard it was from one of our 30-somethings stagehands who worked a lot with high schoolers and houses of worship. I always got the impression it was a euphemism for "cock it out" to avoid incurring dirty looks and jokes from students, similarly to the creative euphemisms people have come up with to get studen to stop saying "f%@k nut" or "jesus nut" when they're talking about the pan bolt on a c-clamp.

And that Pan bolt isn’t even a bolt, it’s a square head set screw!

Does (or did) Cleveland count as part of the Midwest?"
Cleveland 100% counts
Derek, we always used forged C clamps to hang both "up" & "out," never cast. We used the cast clamps (if we had them) only to hang down. I've used forged clamps on 2' side arms mounted "up" with 2, 2kW lekos mounted "out" from the arm and never had a failure or a bent clamp.
How does one tell the difference between a forged clamp vs. a cast clamp? I thought all traditional clamps were cast? Did certain manufacturers make forged clamps?

Last edited:
That sounds like what we call "overslinging" so the unit is overslung.
I learned that "underslung" was a bastardization, slightly derogatory of "underhung" when speaking of counterweight fly systems.

What's the difference between "overslinging, overslung" and "overhanging, overhung"?

Quick googling tells me "overslung" has to do with vehicle suspensions and whether the axle is above or below the leaf springs.

I must admit I've not come across overhanging or overhung in this context; as I've heard it used, a lantern cocked out from the bar (where we came in) is de-rigged or outrigged unless it's actually right above the bar when it's overslung.

As a son of the Midwest I am well familiar with the term roostering, but I think just telling your electricians to yoke a fixture out is more common.
If a unit is being hung with the clamp directly underneath it, with the yoke vertical, I would call that unit “perched”.

@MNicolai
Yeah, that's where I learned it a decade ago. First time I heard it was from one of our 30-somethings stagehands who worked a lot with high schoolers and houses of worship. I always got the impression it was a euphemism for "cock it out" to avoid incurring dirty looks and jokes from students, similarly to the creative euphemisms people have come up with to get studen to stop saying "f%@k nut" or "jesus nut" when they're talking about the pan bolt on a c-clamp.

And that Pan bolt isn’t even a bolt, it’s a square head set screw!

Cleveland 100% counts

How does one tell the difference between a forged clamp vs. a cast clamp? I thought all traditional clamps were cast? Did certain manufacturers make forged clamps?
Well, 60 years ago the clamps I dealt with were made by (or at least, branded) "Century NYC" and were forged. Most of the ones that were cast were in a definite "C" shape (as opposed to the relatively "square" ones) with the instrument mounting point threaded 1/2"IPS. with the instrument mounting point threaded 1/2"IPS. Capitols were notorious. View attachment 22446 (We (Didn't like Capitol instruments, either--stuck with Century or Klieg.) (The above from my RGOAS.)

I posted a photo of one of my old cast C clamps, but somehow it didn't appear in the thread but was linked, and the link doesn't work. Try the attached.

Attachments

• Cast C clamp.jpg
    Cast C clamp.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 113
Growing up near Baltimore and starting stage work for money in 1972 (at 16), I was taught the term "rooster the light out", to "rooster it", etc. So not as confined to the midwest as y'all think. When I came to Chicago in '79, it was a term we all used.

Of course, I still use the term "X-ray" for strip lights, but only verbally. I don't put it in inspection letters.

Interesting discussions about the safe to rooster question. Every caution is correct. Like so many things, its good to learn what the load ratings are, how to derate for the leverage involved, methods to keep the pipe from rotating if needed, etc. In other words, cast an educated and/or jaundiced eye upon the pipe that we are now asking to do some things it may not have been designed for. Also, knowing the weight of the fixtures, complete with Clamp, may give you some idea of what you are doing. If nothing else, look at the assembly as you are loading it and see if there is visible deflection in the pipe, it's hangers and whatever the mounting is attached to.

There's a huge difference between a pipe supported 4' OC v 10'OC. When you get down to it, the 1.9" OD with .145 wall tube that we call 1 1/2" sched 40 pipe is a fairly small section so best to look closely when your supports are more than 6' apart.

I'll let midwest keep roostering as long as we don't start talking about how big a 6" gel frame is.

Easy. Henceforth, instead of "6-inch" frames, they shall now be known as "6-ish" frames.

I learned it in Bowling Green in college about a decade ago, so maybe that side of Ohio is just west enough for the midwest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back