Rosin?

wolfman005

Long story short a Brulsque show is going to be put on in our theatre this coming Friday and one of the dancers has asked if she can use rosin for her Point dance. Our floor is painted wood (plywood?).

My thoughts are no. We used it in band once and it stuck to the floors like crazy. It's for one number towards the beginning which means the floor will than be sticky for everyone else who uses it.

I did take into account that they are all gonna be covered in glitter and one act wants to use a confetti gun (which my TM and I are deliberating and leaning more towards no) so perhaps a compromise would be to charge them an additional cleaning fee?

Your thoughts?
-Aaron

Wish that was an option. The dancers would love it but that's not in the cards for this one...or any others for a while probably.

Bit about how this theatre works. I asked the heads if I could have some money to buy some new lamps. I was given the response of "yes but than we can't pay the electrical bill".

Any performance that comes into my place covered in glitter is getting an additional clean up fee. Be careful with the confetti gun as well, there are many places in a theater where you don't want small piece of paper landing.

The TM decided she can put rosin on her shoes but not the stage. They are gonna allow the confetti as long as it's used on stage and not pointed towards the audience. They also wanna "baptize" the first few rows with water, and the finale involves frosting.

I'm glad I'll be in the booth.

Wow Wolfman, this is an interesting show. Seems to me the correct answer to just about everything is No. Frosting? :naughty:

I would be extra vigilant about the cost of damages, repair, and cleaning and making sure you have it all in writing.

Reactions: Ric
I should just upload the rider they sent me...I swear if I see some one ask for "cute and sexy lignting" again...

So have any of you ever had the pleasure of working with a pole before? More specifically what I'm wondering is if it is anchored via a base plate of some sort or if they expect to bolt it to the stage...which we can't do. It'd help if they would respond to the emails I've sent them.

To make it more interesting, the person whose job it is to normally unlock the the theater is in the hospital so that job has fallen to me now. So it'll be me with their production team and between 40-50 "dancers" until sound arrives much later in the evening.

@gafftaper a contract was signed but other than "leave the theatre as you found it" there aren't any provisions for such an cleanup policy...which is why they are starting to get upset at me (since even though I'm the LD I'm acting as a front man for the theatre) because I keep telling them "No" or "let's talk about it during tech".

That'll be interesting. A few different people have said they are using one. Someone made it sound like she are expecting us to provide one. Another said hers takes 2 people to carry so hopefully hers just has a crazy heavy base plate.

So what I'm learning from all of this is that when I get a rider in spreadsheet form with a bunch of different acts on it, I need to make sure they also give me the individual contacts off the rider because the "tour manager" isn't respond in to mine anymore. That and a rewrite of our contract is in order.

I have seen acts with a pole before and they absolutely do not bolt it to the floor. It will either have a very large/heavy base plate or be affixed to a scenic element.

Still sounds better than body-building competitions. It takes weeks to get the smell of baby oil out of the theater.

This is becoming an interesting physics discussion, "Side-loading of a 'dancer's' vertical pole" Sure beats the guy shooting the monkey falling out of the tree.

This is becoming an interesting physics discussion, "Side-loading of a 'dancer's' vertical pole" Sure beats the guy shooting the monkey falling out of the tree.
To give you an example of the type that might be used. (link should be safe for viewing, I don't know about the rest of the site or ads that might come with it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back