S4 Par ACL lens?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I just don't think a Source Four Par could get any narrower than it is with a VNSP lens, which is basically just clear glass. This is due to the filament size and structure -- a 24 volt lamp's filament is much more compact than a 120v lamp's, therefore can produce a much tighter and "punchier" beam.

With all the people out there going through the trouble of wiring four 24v ACL's in series, I would think that ETC would still be all over this simple solution, had it been possible to recreate the ACL look with a lens even narrower than a VNSP.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I just don't think a Source Four Par could get any narrower than it is with a VNSP lens, which is basically just clear glass. ...
The VNSP lens is clear, but it's curved. The "ACL" lens was a piece of flat glass, although I believe there was only 1° of difference, and I can't remember it that was beam or field angle, probably beam. Note that using a SourceFour PAR without any lens is NOT recommended.

...Please explain more about the "circle of plate glass" ACL Lenses for the S4-Par. Can you really tell the difference between ACL and VNSP? ...
... The ACL lenses came out with the first release of the S4 par, and from what I can tell from seeing them, there is a slight difference, but not much at all. The ACL lenses are literally a cut circle of glass - not concave or convex, just picture a circle cut out of a window pane. That's what it looks like - it's just high grade glass. We only have these with the first 50 S4 pars that the theatre purchased, before ETC stopped including them with the S4 Pars. Maybe STEVETERRY can shed some more light on the S4 Par ACL lens - and I'll try to find and scan the original photometrics, because we have them around our theatre somewhere...

EDIT: illinin09, sorry about the circular reference; you've already been to the thread I quoted.:oops:
Since soundlight seems to be the only person who has ever used these elusive lenses, I'm thinking they are a Fig Newton of his imagination.

Last edited:
I contacted ETC about this a year or two ago. ETC said they weren't available, but didn't say "they never existed" only that they were not currently available. Maybe someone needs to develop a new lamp that will fit the S4.

Or maybe an ellipsoidal with a beam reducing gobo or something might work. There is a 5 degree lens.

Yes on the tightness of the source as the reason an ACL was so tight. One of the reasons the 4559 was preferred over the Q4559. The Q was the quartz version, but the wider filament took away from the tightness of the beam, even though the Q4559 was a bit brighter.

The VNSP lens is clear, but it's curved. The "ACL" lens was a piece of flat glass, although I believe there was only 1° of difference, and I can't remember it that was beam or field angle, probably beam. Note that using a SourceFour PAR without any lens is not recommended.

EDIT: Sorry about the circular reference. Since soundlight seems to be the only person who has ever used these elusive lenses, I'm thinking they are a Fig Newton of his imagination.

I contacted ETC about this a year or two ago. ETC said they weren't available, but didn't say "they never existed" only that they were not currently available.

They are not a figment (nor a Fig Newton) of soundlight's imagination.

Originally, Source Four PARs were ordered with the specific lenses that you wanted. The flat lens was discontinued when we started shipping the units with the other 4 lenses included. (Primarily because the difference between the Flat and VNSP lens was negligible and the market liked the VNSP better.)

Posted for historical reference only, here is a scan of the brochure including photometric data from 1995:
View attachment S4PAR Brochure 1995.pdf
Part numbers have changed since this was published so please consult a current datasheet for correct ordering information. The flat lens is no longer available.

...Or maybe an ellipsoidal with a beam reducing gobo or something might work. There is a 5 degree lens.

I am confused here len. My first read of this was "that's what an iris is for". Are you suggesting a lens added to the gobo slot akin to a glass gobo or something else?

I am confused here len. My first read of this was "that's what an iris is for". Are you suggesting a lens added to the gobo slot akin to a glass gobo or something else?
I think len means that a 405, with an aperture reducer, could simulate the beam of an ACL. (For the record, I disagree. Although I have used 6x22s at a throw of ~20', just for beamage.)

I was referring to some combination of beam reducing item, iris, beam reduction gobo, smaller lens, etc. Since the OP was trying to get a S4 par to do something it's not currently capable of (unless they have the flat lenses) I assumed they were trying to create a look comparable to an ACL with existing inventory, or at least with minimal expense. I figured they might have some ellipsoidals in stock which might get them close to their goal. Maybe it wouldn't work. But it might get them close enough for their needs. There's nothing like a true ACL lamp, but sometimes you make do with what you have.

Ah. And here I was trying to imagine the optics of a drop-in lens at the gobo or accessory slot...

After looking at the old spec sheet, it's interesting how much the difference in Lumens is between the VNSP lens and the Flat lens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back