Safety Issues at my High School

Lets post photos of safety issues you have found in your theater, Maybe we can pitch you some advice and suggestions!

Racks of clothing and other things in front of the main electrical

Might be a little outdated?

I don't think you're supposed to store anything in the electrical closet, much less combustibles.

Yea! According to OSHA regulations and NFPA codes there is to be an area at least 3 feet long by 2.5 feet wide clearance (or the width of the panel) in front of the electrical panel.

Where did you find that fire extinguisher? storage or props? That's just Water BTW, and probably not in service to begin with, seeing as it is not even mounted or labeled or inspected for more than a decade. Why not just fix your problems in the same amount of time that it takes to take pictures of them an post them on the internet?

That fire extinguisher sits on the work bench. When new students are being shown around the shop it is pointed out to them when our instructor is going over safety.

I can only do so much to fix a problem as I am only a student. Our theatre director asked me to submit a list of safety hazards and things we need. I submitted the this letter to our instructor, principal and superintendent.

The extinguisher is probably not required, however having incorrect types of extinguishers, can be a problem, because in an emergency, someone may grab the wrong/non-working/out of date extinguisher instead of the appropriate one. It is okay to keep it in a cabinet or somewhere out of site for times when you want to spray other students or teachers.(change the water though, that can get disgusting over time.)

That is my only concern is that if somebody goes to use it since it is sitting right in the opening and it is either and electrical fire or flammable liquid then all hell breaks loose.

There weren't that many pictures, I will note there were typos. The one that stands out was hiring an electrical to fix your outlet problems. I assume you meant electrician. Also the prices you have listed might be high. I've never heard of the site you listed but I'd advise you check somewhere else. $32 for an HPL is pretty high, norcostco has them for $18 and change, bmi, production advantage, full compass, or various other vendors may have better prices. So maybe shop around a bit more. For a 9 page PDF I'm not sure why it was 28 mb.

Via Tapatalk

There weren't that many pictures, I will note there were typos. The one that stands out was hiring an electrical to fix your outlet problems. I assume you meant electrician. Also the prices you have listed might be high. I've never heard of the site you listed but I'd advise you check somewhere else. $32 for an HPL is pretty high, norcostco has them for $18 and change, bmi, production advantage, full compass, or various other vendors may have better prices. So maybe shop around a bit more. For a 9 page PDF I'm not sure why it was 28 mb.

Via Tapatalk

Re: HPL Price

I've found a number of public institutions (schools, universities, such forth) to have contracts for super-low lamp pricing. University I'm at buys HPL lamps through a state contract for cheap. High school I went to buys lamps through a similar contract for cheap. Not sure on the logistics of these operations as they tend to be handled by a maintenance electrician or facilities manager.

If your institution has such a contract in place, you may have available to you better pricing than you can get through your local lighting dealer.

Boone High School Auditorium Inspection and Improvements

In my recent inspection of the Boone High School auditorium, I have uncovered multiple problems. In order to resolve these issues, I would like to suggest some precautions that should be put into affect for the safety of the students, faculty, and guests that use the auditorium throughout the year.

Upon reading the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) standards, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards and National Electric Code (NEC) the following things have come to my attention:

1. Due to some outlets not working on the catwalk, the light crew has had to run extension cords from one side of the catwalk to the other in order to power lights (see attached photo #1). The NEC says “extension cords must not be used as a replacement for standard electrical wiring in a building". OSHA demands that extension cords not be used for more than 90 days, even as a temporary wiring solution. The extension cords on the catwalk have been in place for an extended period of time and are likely to be left in place until the outlets are repaired.

2. At least one of the extension cords has a damaged plug (see attached photo #2), which means it is not OSHA compliant.

3. NFPA 30 states that oil based paint is a class IIIA flammable and combustible liquid. Even though not always found in our theater, paint thinner is classified as a class II liquid. These liquids are to be stored in a properly marked cabinet as described in [910.106(d)(3)]. Flammable liquids are to be stored in a cabinet properly marked “FLAMMABLE Keep Fire Away”.

4. According to OSHA regulations and NFPA codes there is to be an area at least 3 feet long by 2.5 feet wide clearance (or the width of the panel) in front of the electrical panel. This safety area is suggested to be marked on the floor (by tape or paint) to discourage setting objects in front of the panel.

5. The Office of Compliance Safety and Health say that the latches on fire doors are never to be taped down. In the event of a fire, the hot gases can build up enough pressure to blow the doors open, rendering them useless. OSHA regulations require fire doors not be held open by a wedge or be tied open, like our auditorium doors often are. Fire doors are to only be held open by automatic release mechanism [29 CFR §1910.36 (a)(3)]

6. We don't announce the location of the fire exits as described in NFPA code [12.7.7.3*]:

“In the following assembly occupancies, an audible announcement shall be made, or a projected image shall be shown, prior to the start of each program that notifies occupants of the location of the exits to be used in case of a fire or other emergency:

1. (1) Theaters

(2) Motion picture theaters

(3) Auditoriums

(4) Other similar assembly occupancies with occupant loads exceeding 300 where there are noncontinuous programs”
  7. Although no specific code exists for the overhead lighting hoists, it is ideal that they be inspected at least once every five years. In this inspection the cables, hoists and pulleys should be inspected by a properly certified agency.

8. For the most part we have no Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in place. Title 29 in the Code of Federal Regulations says “Employers must ensure that each affected employee uses appropriate eye or face protection when exposed to eye or face hazards from flying particles”. This code would suggest that while performing certain activities eye protection needs to be provided for students. Hand protection is a necessary piece of PPE to avoid burns, splinters and cuts from sharp edged or loose wire. All PPE should be stored in a easily accessed place with proper singe reminding to use it posted where visible.

9. NFPA 10 [6.3.1] says “Fire extinguishers shall be subjected to maintenance at intervals of not more than 1 year, at the time of hydrostatic test, or when specifically indicated by an inspection or electronic notification…” In the tech wing there is a Class A fire extinguisher that has not been checked since 1999 (See attached photo #3).

To fix these problems I have the following suggestions (solution number corresponds with problem number):

1. In order to remove the need for extension cords I would suggest hiring an electrical to inspect the lighting grid and make the repairs necessary to have all the outlets working on the catwalk.

2. Fixing the outlets on the catwalk would remove the need to use the cords on the catwalk then we could properly dispose of the damaged cord.

3. To be in compliance with NFPA 30 any oil based paints and paint thinner we have in the theater needs to be stored in an approved cabinet. There are multiple sizes of these cabinets readily available for purchase or the shop class could possibly build one to the standards described in NFPA [910.106(d)(3)].

4. Often we find objects (boxes, clothing, bags, chairs, etc.) in the area directly in front of the electrical panels and electrical distribution panel (see attached photo #4). To make it known not to set items in the 36” by 30” area I suggest marking the area with a bright colored tape as well as putting a sign on the front cover of the box. This procedure also should be put into affect with the power distribution box located in the tower.

5. If it is decided that taping the latch is in violation of fire code, the fire doors need to have some sort of automatic release mechanism installed rather than using a wooden wedge or duct tape to hold the latch down.

6. Before any performance, the opening announcement needs to have information about all the fire exits. This announcement would ideally take place before the Toreador theater announcement.

7. For the safety of the students and faculty I would suggest an inspection of the overhead rigging to be a top priority as an accident could be cause major damage to our equipment and could inflict injury or death to people on stage.

8. PPE needs to be purchased and put into use. Students should be required to wear eye protection while using a saw, hammer, staple gun, or crowbar. Proper eye protection should also be used when painting in case of splatter and when the potential for exploding lamps exist (particularly Xenon projector / spotlight lamps). Students should be required to wear gloves when moving wood, platforms, flats, and light fixtures. Proper warning signs need to be installed to remind students of the use of PPE.

9. The Class A fire extinguisher needs to be checked by a proper technician. In the case that it is determined necessary to have, the proper steps should be taken as directed by the technician.

With the recent inventory of our lighting equipment I have learned the following things:

1. We have 18 functioning light fixtures on the catwalk and 19 non-working fixtures in the light booth (see attached photo #5). The lights are as follows:

WORKING *Does not include overhead rigging above stage

1. Kliegl 1550 (3)

2. Parellipsphere (7) (One needs a replacement lamp

3. Par Can (8)

NOT WORKING

1. Kliegl 1550 (3)

2. Parellipsphere (7)

3. Altman 1KL6-12 (3)

4. Par Can (2)

5. Fresnel (4) *Used on overhead rigging, not catwalk

For most people, I know just listing the light models won't do any good so here are the facts about our lights.

1. Most of our lights are from the late 70's and early 80's
    1. The Kliegl Bros Company went out of business in the early 90's

2. The Parellipsphere model was the first of it's kind in 1975, this fixture went out of production in 1984

3. The Altman 1KL series was manufactured from 1987-1994 but is one of the worst series of lights in history, they had unbalanced light and had no venting for dust

4. The Par Cans were likely purchased sometime in the past 15 years. Par cans are the cheapest fixtures available but are very limited with uses.

On behalf of the light crew I would like to request a total of $3,321.46 for the purchase of the following:

PRODUCT QUANTITYITEM COSTTOTAL COST 1ETC Source 4 Ellipsoidal 15-30° Zoom (lamp not included)8$360.00*$2,800.002HPL575120 120 volt (Source 4 lamp) 10$32.00*
$320.00
3BTL 500W, 120V lamp4 $25.60*$102.404LL-64514 120V 300W2$12.80* $25.605Rosco #114 Hamburg Frost Sheet3
$6.40*
$19.206Glow-in-the-Dark-Tape (23mm X 5mm)
$9.68*
$9.687Heat resistant gloves**2$22.29$44.58
*Price at the Theatrical Shop with 20% educational discount

**Available here: http://www.grainger.com/product/SHOWA-BEST-Heat-Resistant-Gloves-2EWX3?s_pp=false

1. With so many fixtures broken the purchase of 8 ETC Source 4 Ellipsoidal would be beneficial to all the groups and people that use the auditorium. The purchase of the new lights would make it possible to properly light the stage and add variety. The addition of 8 Source 4 fixtures may also eliminate the need for Carol Renae Dance Studio to rent lights for their shows. If we were able to use our own lighting for her shows it would be more efficient and cut down on the time needed to add and remove all the fixtures from the catwalk. (Brochure and Specs attached)

2. The purchase of 10 HPL575120 120 volt lamps is necessary with the purchase of the Source 4 fixtures. The fixtures do not come equipped with lamps so 8 are needed from the start, plus at least 2 spares are ideal.

3. Most of our current fixtures use the BTL 500W, 120V lamp. Right now we have one fixture that needs to have it's lamp replaced and it is a good idea to have extra spares on hand.

4. The LL-64514 120V 300W lamp is used by one of our special fixtures. We would like to put bulbs in this fixture to have it available for use in future shows and/or events.

5. I would like to suggest the purchase of 3 Rosco #114 Hamburg Frost sheets. In our collection of gels we only have 4 diffusers (all small) and it would be nice to be able to have more on hand as well as have enough to defuse the light coming from the par cans.

6. For safety reasons Glow-in-the-Dark-Tape would be a necessary expendable to use in our theater. During the production of The Pink Panther Strikes Again, the platform that went under the curtain became a trip hazard when walking behind the back curtain. The addition of Glow-in-the-Dark-Tape to the edges of the platform would have made it more visible. Also adding the tape to the side of the wenches along the back wall would be ideal to reduce and avoid injury.

7. We only have 2 pairs of gloves for the light crew. The long, heat resistant pair, has a hole in the palm. It would be ideal to get 2 new pairs of heat resistant gloves to be used by the spotlights and for moving lights.

Other Purchase Suggestions:

1. Gloves and safety glasses (PPE) to be used while working in the shop.

2. NFPA 10 compliant, combustible and flammable liquid storage cabinet as described in number three.

Attachments

• Photo #2.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Photo #5.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 199
  • Photo #3 .JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Our high school purchases a lot of things from our local theatrical shop. They prefer to go there than online since they have built up trust with the business and since they can get them right away.

Just read through your PDF... few issues...
  • Extension cords are able to be used in a theatre for an extended period of time, the 90 day thing does not apply simply because at any time they could be moved.
    • This is not written code to my knowledge, but in general the industry looks the other way....
  • Your bigger issue with the extension cords is that they are not SO cable but instead are junior cable which is in violation of NEC section 520.
  • All rigging should be inspected yearly and documented
  • Odds are your school already does fire extinguisher checks, discuss this with them, odds are an extinguisher got moved that they don't know about.
  • OSHA does not apply to students, only employees, so your OSHA codes don't apply. Not saying they shouldn't, but technically they don't.
  • Your lighting dealer is ripping you off. 30 bucks for an HPL is insane. Get 2 more quotes... and ditch the S4 zooms. Zoom fixtures are a waste of money in your situation.
Many of the other things you listed are things you as students could easily do. If you want the recording, record it and do it. Clean that closet out and put up a sign. Go talk to your shop teacher about PPE (Try to get him/her to act as an advisor as well...). Odds are he/she will give you the PPE.

I applaud your run at this. Just know because you sent it to everyone under the you could get some real push back and people acting in drastic ways. Quoting code at your level could land your with people slapping locks and the doors and walk away.

In reality what you need to do is to help your faculty establish a maintenance schedule and budget for the room. Get the place squared up and make sure it stays that way, long after you are gone.

Last edited:
Agree with everything posted so far but 2 things I would bring up.

First thing is the extension cord with the damaged end should be pulled IMMEDIATELY! If after a thorough examination of the cable and no other problems found (no stretching, cuts, or other issues) you can probably put a new end on and put back into service till new cabling (SO type) can be implemented.

And issue number two is that you seem to have 2 separate proposals in one document. I would break it out to just safety stuff and the purchase proposal as two separate documents. I would present the safety document first and maybe at the same time, or slightly later, submit the purchase proposal.

Other than that it's a good start, and definitely get a faculty adviser who is willing to help out and bring it up himself.

So I can pull the OSHA stuff, The cords are violating NEC 520 (Any suggestions on what to upgrade to), we need to pull that cord ASAP, work on cleaning the room, Rigging should be inspected yearly and documented. Was all the NFPA stuff correct? I really didn't want to start quoting code but nobody would listen to me when I just mentioned what was wrong. Thank you to everybody that has given me input.

NEC 520.44 (C) (1) is where you will find the SO cable thing. Proper SO (or SOOW) cable can be purchased from any theatrical retailer and some big box stores.

Once again though, I would urge you to go talk to your shop teacher. Don't go saying "everything is wrong, I know how to fix it", but instead of approach it in a way that says "I need help". The safety issues you have are the exact same ones your shop teacher and most art teachers face. Do everything you can now that does not cost money. You know what those things are. A proper flamables cabinet is probably sitting somewhere in the district unused. Worst comes to worse you move your flammables to the art teachers spray paint cabinet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back